Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SPF Awards 2018 - Nominations

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kitteh, Apr 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Edit:

Apologies, I should have done this originally instead of closing it of my own accord. We have three basic options;

1. Ditch the need to use a calendar year and do the awards in April.

2. Stick to the calendar year and just wait until January 2019.

3. Stick to the calendar year and wait until January 2019 for a standard edition of the awards, but do a 'legacy' awards for the time between the last awards and the end of 2017.

Post what you think, and then we can decide what to do :)

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the SPF Awards 2018!

The last (to my knowledge) was in 2013 (2013 winners, 2012 winners and 2011 winners) and we decided that it was time to bring the awards back. I've personally enjoyed seeing people being recognised for their contributions to this awesome forum over the years. This time it is slightly different because we have some catching up to do, nominations are eligible going as far back as 1/4/13.

However, this time the awards have been restricted to the key categories which encapsulate the pillars of this community: obliterating the Prime Evils with various different builds; competing with each other, figuring out how things work and how best to do things; finding sparkly stuff of course; community spirit; and occasionally making an idiot of ourselves. So, without further rambling, the categories for the SPF Awards 2018...

Best HC Character

Best SC Character

Best Tournament

Best Guide

Best Item Drop

Best Community Contributor

Best WTF?! moment / Do'h moment

Special Award for Outstanding Contribution to the SPF
    Lifetime Achievement Award

The following are not eligible as they have already won the award: Nightfish, Cattleya, DarkChaos, Randall & Silospen, The Doc, Thyiad, jjscud, jianzons, RTB, Hrus and Onderduiker.

Rules
    - Nominations will close on sunday the 5th May 2018 or earlier if the process has run out of steam.
    - Anyone can make a nomination.
    - Nominations can be from 1st April 2013 to the present time.
    - Nominations will be voted for by the community using PMs, ties will be decided by community poll.
    - You can make a maximum of three nominations in a single category.
    - Please post reasons for nominations, where possible.
    - You can self nominate.
    - I will update nominations on the front page regularly.

- Please post nominations in the table below using the format of the example below and avoid duplicate nominations.

Nominations:

Best Guardian
    Example Thread (being a link), by Forum_User

Best Mat/Pat

Best Tournament

Best Guide

Best Item Drop

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Thyiad, Grape, Apila and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh's Nominations:

Best HC Character
    King Loyal - 1.09 Classic WW HC Barbarian (I like this nomination because for me it is an insight into a form(s) of Diablo II that I have minimal experience in. Also, what the hell was with conviction? :p), by ERayz
    Guardian Lyrella - CB/FO Sorceress (A self-nomination. It isn't a unique build or anything, I just had so much fun and loved the build so much that I wanted to acknowledge it), by Kitteh
    Guardian Izzor - Leap Barbarian (I nominate this partly for the character itself, but primarily for the really awesome write-up. Seriously, please go and read it!), by Maltatai

Best SC Character
    Patriarch Aether - Rare only concentrate barbarian. (concentrate barbarians are fun, but ethereal rare only? Yes please! In particular, the weapon :D), by Grape
    Patriarch Perkele - Dual eBotD Whirler (I loved this so much! The build, the vanilla aspect, the awesome write-up and story - plus, he ultimately made it to level 99), by zticazzy
    Patriarchs Huey, Dewey and Louie - o-Skill Frenzy Barbarians (I nominate this primarily for Louie, but it is hard to pick a favourite), by maareek

Best Tournament
    Revenge of the 99ers - the untwinked 99er tournament (Technically this is a self-nomination, but I put it forward not as a nomination for myself obviously, but as a nomination for the incredible activity that it has generated. I really didn't expect the reboot to lift off so much. We have a total of 5 99ers (two for PhineasB!) and at least one which is very close to completion), by Kitteh
    A Lack of Information - Set/Unique Worshipping (My entry is parked, but I loved reading the updates for this tournament and there was a lot of activity), by Pb_pal
    TC3 Hunting Tournament - Hunting TC3s baby! (I had so much fun in this tournament and there were some interesting builds... I couldn't find the original version for some reason, so I will replace it with that one perhaps when I find it), by T72on1

Best Guide
    99er Compendium (a resource for what is a big achievement in the forum), by PhineasB

Best Item Drop
    1.07 Zod drop (bloody Canadians), by Pharphis

maxicek (for stepping up to support Thyiad in the moderation team).

That thing that happened - too soon? :p This one is a nomination for the community as a whole, not any specific individual. There were plenty of moments form plenty of people during that period of time which are suitable for nomination.

Gripphon
    maxicek
    Fabian

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  3. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

Great idea Kitteh, this was a fun little trip down memory lane! I’d love for this to be a yearly thing once more, ever if we’re a bit slower than the old days in here now. I’d just like to put out there for our newer members not to be shy about nominating. You don’t need to dig back to 2013 if you weren’t around for it (but go ahead if you want!), this should be about what means the most to you as a member of the community. :)

Also, @Kitteh - original TC3 tourney is here and can be found in the Tournament Listings. ;)

----

Pb_pal’s Nominations

Best HC Character

Relic the Ironmancer (Passive Aggressive Tournament) by bladejj – Amazing tournament character, great writeups along the way, and incredible gear. Fortitude in a single-pass tournament? Yes please.
    Rhett - Elemental Druid (Committed Tournament) by kestegs – Single Pass, Single Tree, Single Stat, Singularly Awesome. Very cool character to follow in a very cool tournament (also hosted by kestegs).
    Faith - C/C Phoenix Striker (Exposure Tournament) by jiansonz – This character is just SO jiansonz to me, I can’t think about Phoenix Strikers without thinking of him. It was difficult to pick just one of his Guardians, but this one just epitomizes the skill and playstyle he portrays. No merc, no summons, no shield, no problem.

Best SC Character

Perkele - Purist dual ebotd whirler by zticazzy – the scope of what this character did is just insane. Vanilla, self-found, dual-eBOTD, level 99. My head hurts.
    Alyosha - Full Griswold's Holy Shock Bear Paladin by Grape – Super cool character. A shiny bear Paladin? Yes please. This also sparked my interest to make Stevesy in the 99er tournament, who I ultimately deeded of course.
    MC_Snails - Beta Bramble Poison Nova Necro by RobbyD – Pretty stylish entry into 1.13, I’d say. This stands out to me as Robby is our resident 1.09 player, and amassed this gear simply by playing the patch the way he wanted to, not by grinding specifically for the Bramble.

Best Tournament

Revenge of the 99ers by Kitteh – This has turned out to be such a massive community project, it's quite incredible. I personally had(and am having) so much fun in there, and I think it really helped to bring members of the community together to theorycraft and support each other. A truly unique view into the SPF.
    RFL (either 2017/18) by Grape – I linked the original, but it’s more a nomination of the tournament as a whole. Three rounds, three targets, literally dozens of HRs. Theorycrafting gets taken to the next level in these tournaments, and several SPF records have been broken in the two short years it has been running.
    The Passive Aggressive Tournament by Pb_pal – Self-nomination, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t nominate a “traditional” HC, single-pass tournament here. Bit of sentimentality here as I got my first Guardian in this tournament. There were 3 other Guardians as well, all of which were super impressive and creative. This tournament garnered a ton of interest and people really really ran with the idea. Just a super fun time all around.

Best Guide

LK vs Travincal vs Cows - runefinding guide by Gripphon - Amazing information and testing for a variety of classes, build, and targets. Incredible resource which is way underappreciated imo.

Best Item Drop

1.07 Zod drop by Pharphis – We will never, EVER, see anything like this again. It is not to be underestimated.

maxicek (for taking on Mod duties, and the tremendous amount of work that went into the new Stickies. They are incredible.)

RIP Sclumpus by pharphis. Deeds at the ripe young age of 97.7. Sorry phar. <3

Gripphon – The efficiency machine, so many contributions to optimizing runs it’s a bit dizzying
    maxicek – Mod. Stickies. Rules. So many mat/pats. Assassin knowledge bar none. Just so much.
    Fabian – He needs to be on this list. So much information over the years. A true SPF titan.

T72on1, Grape and Kitteh like this.
  4. Kitteh

I should clarify that the nominations here are not votes, just nominations, so if you nominate a thread which has already been nominated it will have zero influence on the result - voting will be separate.

5. Pb_pal

Ah yes, reading is hard.

Well, I'm glad to take that hit so that everyone else can do it properly. ;)

Kitteh likes this.
  6. Kitteh

Yep, thankfully this was all part of a cunning plan to avoid such an event, well done for playing your part so convincingly :rolleyes:

Pb_pal likes this.
  7. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

Very nice @Kitteh , are you planning to host this at the same time next year? My first initial thought was that the easiest way would be to have these at the beginning of the year, so we could always vote for the last full calendar year. That would mean that nominations for this period should end at the end of 2017.

Your call ofc, just a thought :)

Now I need to remind me of the moments almost through the whole time I've been around the SPF, will be interesting! Maybe even nostalgic?

T72on1 and Kitteh like this.
  8. Kitteh

It used to be like that yes, but that would mean waiting a long time to bring it back, and I figured that everybody should probably be able to function outside of a calendar year - if they can't then screw them :p By that I mean that it would still be a year, just not January to January, with the exception of this one because there is a lot of great contributions which deserve to be up for consideration :) And of course, it doesn't specifically need to be me hosting it, in fact I think it is nice that previously it has been swapped about a bit.

9. Pb_pal

I mean we could always do 2017 as the limit for this one if we want to do calendar years. Then it's only a short 8 months until the 2018 nominations and we're "only" cutting off 4 months worth of stuff. I personally think calendar year makes more sense going forward, but it doesn't bother me either way how we do things.

T72on1 likes this.
  10. Kitteh

If it's going to be confusing for people, then we can leave it (or cut it off) :)

Edit: I think that we should just ditch it completely, and it can be done at the end of 2018, keep it simple for people :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  11. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Closed at Kitteh’s request :)

12. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Re-opened for discussion by Kitteh's request.

13. Kitteh

Apologies, I should have done this originally instead of closing it of my own accord. We have three basic options;

1. Ditch the need to use a calendar year and do the awards in April.

2. Stick to the calendar year and just wait until January 2019.

3. Stick to the calendar year and wait until January 2019 for a standard edition of the awards, but do a 'legacy' awards for the time between the last awards and the end of 2017.

Post what you think, and then we can decide what to do :)

T72on1 likes this.
  14. Pb_pal

My preference is #3. A nice trip down memory lane to get hings started with the Legacy voting, and then start fresh for 2018 the way it's "intended to be".

For the record, I'm fine with either of the other 2 options, that one just makes the most sense to me moving forward.

T72on1 and Kitteh like this.
  15. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

IMHO, since we missed 2014-2016, maybe open up nominations from Jan 2014 to Dec 2017?
    This might be fun for nostalgia and digging up old threads/characters.

Then keep running it as a calendar year event (sorry pharphis, you'll have to wait until next year for your drop award)

EDIT: which I just deduced is a vote for #3

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Kitteh likes this.
  16. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

No.3 Vote.

Can I suggest we broaden the "Guide" category to include any (non-tourney) D2 thread? Guides are a bit thin on the ground these days.

17. Kitteh

Hmmm, that is a very good point actually. I will change that. Is everybody happy that these categories embody the key pillars of the community? The idea is stick to quality categories, not quantity :)

18. Fabian

Fabian Diabloii.Net Member

Dat feeling when two peoples' descriptions seemingly got scrambled.

Grip truly is an SPF titan!

Pb_pal likes this.
  19. Zenigma

Zenigma Diabloii.Net Member

I vaguely remember seeing one of these when I first joined the SPF. Oh yes, the nostalgia is real.

Put me down for a #3 vote

20. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Glad this thread is open again :). And yes, definitely #3 vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.