Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] SPF 99er Compendium

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PhineasB, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

You don't have to use teleport, there are 99ers in the SPF without it. Interesting builds can certainly be successful. I'm pretty sure that there is a level 99 Wolfbarb.

2. drmalawi

drmalawi IncGamers Member

No of course you don't have to. You can use basically any weapon/gear it's just a matter of time (and blood, sweat and tears) :)

3. Kitteh

And occasionally moaning :p

4. drmalawi

I guess we all praise fast builds and asks "which build can do level 99 fastest?" I wanna know who have grinded the longest period of time for 99 :D

5. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Agreed.

I'd actually want to do Baal for that matter, if I go for another 99er. Maybe not completely, but at the least for a big part of the journey. I always thought that getting to 99 was done at Baal before joining the SPF, so it has always felt wrong somewhat to not have done a single Baal run with Neverland, other than that one run to get to Matriarch.

So it doesn't have to be fastest around. But no way I'm going to spend twice or three times the amount needed compared to one of the usual suspects (Sorcs, Trappers, Hammerdins, ...) to get to 99. Too much other fun stuff to do in D2. And in general :). And yes, that includes RL ...

6. ffs

ffs IncGamers Member

Of course any hell-viable build can do it. :)

As Bear Sorc has been mentioned, she is a great Baal runner, had lots of fun with her myself. Many characters can run Baal at reasonable speed, from WW Barb to Zealot to melee Druid etc., shouldn't make that much of a difference in run times, at least when using cookie-cutter gear. And of course Concentrate Barb or Smiter are both great for running Nihl for the last level, including untwinked as proven by zticazzy with his unbelievable Barb (though that character clearly belongs in the "don't try this at home" category ;)).

It's just that builds without area damage will take much longer to level overall. It would definitely be cool to do it with some kind of exotic melee build, but it may not be so appealing anymore when realizing it makes a difference of hundreds of hours. :rolleyes: (Doing it without Enigma then basically doubles that once more...)

In any case, I'd definitely root for some whacky 99er build like that. ;)

7. Kitteh

I planned my untwinked 99er around doing Baal, I'm done with CS pretty much for the rest of my life :p

8. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

@ffs pretty much nailed it. Baal is an interesting target since the wave mechanics have a way of evening the playing field a little bit. That said, a single-target build will take substantially longer than strong AoE chars of course. The thing about Baal runs is that the XP gain is set, so it's very easy to figure out how long it will take you to get to the final level.

Using Nanomist's XP Tables for leveling 95-99 on Baal runs (p8/p3 until 98, then p1/p3 for 98-99):

2:30 minute runs: 289.55 hrs
    3:00 minute runs: 347.46 hrs
    3:30 minute runs: 405.37 hrs
    4:00 minute runs: 463.28 hrs

This is a high estimate, since lower levels can be modified to run Ventar or Lister and leave out Baal for some increased efficiency, but it's the last level that kills you anyways, taking up ~75% of the total time needed from 95-99. Keep in mind this is "only" for 95-99, so there is the rest of the journey as well, which will be much quicker with an AoE caster than say a Conc barb. That shouldn't make a huge difference on total time invested, but may tamper with the frustration levels. For perspective to those that don't know, at least a few of the untwinked 99ers have come in around 350 hours for completion time (they are all strong AoE characters).

I would love to see some (more) wacky builds make it to 99, and I plan on doing one myself at some point. Just make sure you understand the time investment so that you don't end up hating your loveable fuzzy sorc or shockwave mauler when they aren't as quick as their buddies.

NanoMist likes this.
  9. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Well, another plan of mine is to approach it a little differently and get several characters to 95+, preferably 97 or even 98, and then from that point onwards see if I still feel like getting one to 99 and which one would be the best candidate. The good thing about that tactic is that I can trick myself into believing it's 'just one more level to go' :).

PhineasB and ffs like this.
  10. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

Melee single-target/non-AoE attack options definitely can work. But as @Pb_pal correctly noted, they will generally take a little longer.
    In addition to those two, Strijdje's Lycan was the wolfbarb (without teleport), and DC's Tesladin Nikola also didn't have teleport (although zeal isn't really single target, it was basically melee playstyle).

It's actually something I worried about a bit in drafting the Compendium: the focus on "efficiency" could be interpreted as meaning other options can't work. Which is obviously untrue. It's really about putting in the time, which will be longer for less efficient builds.

That said, having now done this a couple times, I can't imagine myself sticking with it from the start with a single-target attacker (although maybe for Nihl on the last level). But that's just me ;) I'm looking forward to seeing more characters, whether casters or less common options for the 99er journey.

Edit: to the earlier question by @T72on1 - I think it's helpful to have this here, as I can update that part of the Compendium to reflect this discussion (and maybe just link down to a later post and dozen or so that follow for more expansive discussion of other options).

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    ffs and T72on1 like this.
  11. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Several people mentioned single target attackers ... I can't even begin to imagine doing this with a Conc Barb or something similar right from the start to the very end. But I had builds in mind that kill really fast and often also attack multiple enemies at a time, like Fury or Zeal.

Someone doing this with a pure passive Zon using only daggers and normal attack would earn eternal glory x300 though ...

PhineasB likes this.
  12. drmalawi

I know a few players (not members of this forum) who love their pitzerkers so much they are in the late 90's now by merely doing pits and chaos at players 1 :p Perhaps I can convince them to do a final push at Nilathak ;) (or just finishing their chaos runs off by taking down the big D "he is not efficient for TC87" - they chant). A concentrate/berserker barb would be, next to a dual dream bear sorc, the only single target build I would go for in this insane challenge.

T72on1 and PhineasB like this.
  13. Kitteh

Mate, that is basically half of this forum :p

14. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

A wolfbarb doing Baal is a surprisingly good character as far as single target builds go. That's with the exception of one problem: PI Lister. If you encounter him, your run is screwed.

15. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I read the guide again, to see if there's still anything new to learn for my untwinked HC Paladin.

One minor tidbit: CtA isn't explicitly mentioned in the 'gear basics' section. I'd say it's worth it :).

PhineasB, Kitteh and drmalawi like this.
  16. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

Hi All! I had meant to do this over New Year's. But I finally got around to updating the Compendium to reflect six (6! :eek:) new 99ers since last update and to incorporate additional insights gained from those and high-level characters for less-used classes in the untwinked 99er reboot.

Pb_pal, T72on1, Fruit and 1 other person like this.
  17. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Nice !!! Made me read through the entire thing again. While I'm supposed to do other stuff at this very moment. I blame you, PhineasB ;).

Pb_pal and PhineasB like this.
  18. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Probably me. My zon didn't teleport, killed almost everything in her path (WSK 2 and 3 were both 'around the corner' maps). I was probably close to 5 minutes a run when it came down to it.

Also, I'm pretty sure I was one of the messiest 99 runners around and died significantly more than most.

19. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

he lives!

You can save NM ancients without having to self-MP by starting your char in classic (no druid/assassin obviously) and converting once you reach act 3 hell by the way.