Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Spell Resource Types

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Idaell, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Idaell

Idaell Diabloii.Net Member

Spell Resource Types

As most know they are attempting to give each class a unique resource rather than just giving each mana. I really like this idea as mana seemed to only limit low level characters as it was plentiful late game. Changing core game mechanics for each character is daring and I think it will work well in this case.

The barbarian fury system is obvious and seems like it should work well. A barb should not have to stand to the side and wait for mana to regenerate, but rather gain powers through combat. They went from the 3 bulb stop light fury indicator to a pool system, very close to rage in WoW. I can not think of a better way to do this but I wish there was one.

The witch doctor makes some sense to have mana. He is not the constant caster like the wizard and does have some transient summons. Also, as someone else mentioned on a different thread mana fits with witch doctor because he is similar to a shaman, sorta with spirit/death/nature magic, which is the origin of the word. Sha'mana' is what I think of.

The wizard may have some form of instability but they did say that they changed their minds so who knows. It may be a minor tweek, like what happens when the wizard 'overheats', or they may be starting anew. I like the idea of magic being dangerous and with consequences. If you cast too fast you get stunned, or silenced, or health damage? I would prefer actually being damaged but I can see people being upset with that. It would be cool to be in a battle where you sacrifice some of your life just so you can keep casting. Obviously need to be some visual signifier, beyond the bulb in corner, so you could tell that you were overheating.

Any ideas for what the monk should use? Blizzard said somewhere that the resource system is fitting for a holy warrior. I am not sure what that means. I think he will have something more than just a combo system as he is said to have some form of auras and maybe buffs.

The 5th character is still unknown but I posted a bard idea recently that included a resource called concentration.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713654&page=4
    "Different abilities, such as song auras, and charm, would reduce total concentration when active. This is similar to how dragon age handles some spells, reducing maximum mana so the spell is constantly active. The bard could charm several creatures but doing so would reduce concentration, creating a cap for number of minions. Song auras could also reduce concentration so these would have to be weighed against eachother. It may even be possible to sing more than one song at once, given enough concentration. The remaining concentration pool could act like normal mana for regular abilities, such as a magic attack. Possibly including illusion spells?"
    There may be no bard but I think a resource similar to this concentration could work very well. Perhaps the monk system is similar to this already, allowing for stacked auras but limiting the pool for special attacks.

Other possibilities include a resource similar to energy from WoW. I do not think they will use that as it seems too simple and does not create very unique gameplay compared to mana.

(Long post...)
    What do the rest of you think? Any ideas for other interesting resource systems?

2. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Spell Resource Types

Monk....discipline? Working on the same basic principle of fury, it could build and build until you unleash it. BUT, getting hit reduces the discipline (focus?). That way, you are encouraged to utilize the Inner Sanctuary, Impenetrable Defense and SSS while still attacking to maintain that focus/discipline. I'm now leaning more towards "focus".

3. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Just to put in my 2 cents.
    On monks I prefer the word 'chi'.
    But yeah it will work hopefully as described above.
    I'm not going to speculate on the 5th class...

4. Idaell

Chi could work, I was originally thinking it would be called faith as they wanted a holy resource. Though it would be strange to see a monk emptied of faith running from battle. The focus system could work but it would turn the monk into even more of a glass warrior. Which may be what they are going for to balance the barb.
    I still think there is some awesome resource system we are overlooking.

5. Drytchnath

Drytchnath Diabloii.Net Member

Jay Wilson already said the Monk resource system was called Spirit (or something similar, can't remember exactly) and that it was more or less finalized.

So yea, the interview vids were he talks about it are in one of the comment threads on the main page.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  6. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Source? The front page says it's unnamed and unknown.

7. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

You could just look into the JW Interview thread.

Basically, Spirit is a mix of Fury and the Assassin's charge up system. Combo skills generate Spirit, other skills spend it. Very Street Fighter esque.

Instability got axed for Arcane Power - basically a mana orb that is difficult to raise in volume but regenerates very fast innately. Reason for Instability removal was because players didn't treat it as a resource and barely even noticed it - it was essentially a buff/debuff that increased damage dealt and taken. Thinking about it, kinda boring, but very practical for a nuke based character. Would need some tuning to differentiate from mana on higher levels, though.

8. Drytchnath

Drytchnath Diabloii.Net Member

What konfeta said, thanks for picking up my slack :)

9. Idaell

So does the monk's spirit diminish over time or can you keep your combo points saved up? The wizards arcane power system sounds basically like energy for the rogue in WoW. I was hoping for them to go with something more complex but that does at least seem like it will remain relevant throughout the game unlike mana.

10. sirroman

sirroman Diabloii.Net Member

They could add some percentage of magic failure when you have a high instability. Or something like a chance of a random debuff like... being slowed/stuck in a place for 0.5 sec when you use frost magic, take fire damage, be stunned by lightning...