Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Speed Traps

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ebuski, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

2. Phil

Phil IncGamers Member

now im all worried cause some of these places are around my area. thanks though

phil

3. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

thats a pretty snazzy site. but i got all the cops in my head that are on my route.

4. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Dang... that site even has all the speed traps in Anchorage that I was sure wouldn't be there (because Alaska, apparently being a foreign country, gets excluded from these kinds of things).

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Is my area the only place with less consistent speed traps than would be necessary to make that site useful? I am aware of the areas mentioned under Tallahassee, but they are only there about once a month and you can never know if they will be there or not. They do a decent job of varying the area they are patrolling. However, the police here sometimes call radio stations and tell them where the traps are, so that is always useful for an current update of the speed trap situation.

6. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Hooray for promoting illegal and potentially deadly avoidance of police anti-crime measures! :rolleyes:

7. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi GPBH,

I too was surprised to see Alaska on the list of speed traps. So what speed are you allowed to a ride a moose at before you get ticketed ?

Regards
    Syxx

8. giantpinkbunnyhead

Huh? Since when is it illegal to circumvent a speed trap? Don't know about Canada's laws, but that's the silliest thing I've ever heard of. The law can't require you to drive where speed traps are set up.

Potentially deadly? I don't feel any safer on a road with a speed trap than I do on a road without. Drivers are equally stupid on either road. How is it potentially deadly if a circumstance (such as a speed trap) causes me to take route A instead of route B? It's not like the speed-trapped route has guaranteed me safe passage. The other consideration regarding the website is that it might actually HELP safety. If someone goes to that site and determines that their planned route has a speed trap, two things can happen: 1) They take an alternate route... may or may not be more dangerous or deadly, would be 50-50 in the long run, thus we can consider the level of danger on the alternate route to be equal to the level of danger on the speed-trapped route. or 2) The person chooses the speed-trapped route and actually SLOWS to the speed limit, thus (arguably)making him a little safer. But, this too would be negated if the rest of the traffic continues to blow by at 15 above, thus leaving him out of sync with the flow of traffic. I maintain that speed traps are not focused on safety but on revenue generation.

9. giantpinkbunnyhead

Good grief... I don't have an answer for that. But considering I've never seen a moose move any quicker than, say, a lamppost, I think I would be unconcerned about being caught speeding on a moose. For the most part, all they do in town is munch on shrubs and cause traffic to stop so everyone in their cars can say "Look, a moose!" Oh, and sometimes they get stuck... one moose got stuck after falling through a roof he was walking on. (A high pile of firewood enabled him to climb up there). he was stuck with just his head and antlers above the roof, and the rest of him was dangling below...

10. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It's illegal to interfere with the prevention of crime just as it's illegal in many places to possess a radar detector. The law can't force you to drive through speed traps but speed traps are there for public protection.

Until they're taken off the road by... a speed trap. Speeding is a major factor in the cause of most accidents. Preventing it and punishing it is necessary.

If you're not speeding you don't have a reason to avoid it. Avoiding it proves that you're engaging or intend on engaging in illegal and dangerous behaviour.
    ... in order to avoid the trap so they can speed. It's still dangerous.
    Fundamentally flawed argument as it assumes factors that cannot be predicted.
    It would make him safer and everyone else would be pulled over. After getting a nice hefty fine or having their licence revoked they'll reconsider speeding at unsafe speeds again.
    Actually it's focused on prevention. Revenue is a nice bonus.

11. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Around here, the flow of traffic is at least 5 mph over the posted limit, so that is how I drive, and I hardly think it is dangerous or deadly. Speed limits are not the rules of the road that should be so tightly regulated to help safety, it should be aggressiveness of the driving.

12. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi GPBH,

Well if I'm going to tease our Alaskan friends ... I may as well go overboard.

So, Americans drive on the left, while normal countries drive on the right. Does this mean you have left hand drive mooses (or is the plural of moose ...meese) ?

Do you need a moose drivers licence ?

What's the miles per bunch of vegetation for the average moose ?

Whats the top end speed for your average high performance moose ?

Can a moose be "turbo-charged" with a chilli emena for even better performance ?

How differcult / easy / sensible is it to kick start a moose on a typical Alaskan winter morning ?

Regards
    Syxx

13. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

We drive on the left? Goodness, my friends and I seem to all be mistaken, along with the rest of the country. I will let everyone know immediately.

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Going with the flow of traffic is perfectly legal as that action is safe. There are regulations stating as such. Going well above and beyond both the flow of traffic and the speed limit is generally known as speeding. I know of no police officer who would ever pull someone over for going 5km over the limit because the limits are taken with a grain of salt. But announcing speed traps on the radio is illegal here as it prevents police from being able to do their job which prevents them from protecting the public. I can't see why a website doing the same would be any different.

15. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

So don't be so quick to condemn these things when there can obviously be differences in laws. You are allowed to have radar detectors in many states, there can be alerts for DUI checkpoints and speed traps. Many of these alerts (if not most) are put out by the police departments themselves. Different strokes for different folks....or counties, as the case may be.

Edit: One thing I never understood is the idea that the right lane on a highway is intended for the slower traffic. Is this slower traffic assumed by the lawmakers to be people going under the posted limit and those in the left lane those going the limit?

16. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

You clearly don't know my grandmother who was once pulled over for driving excessively slow :D

17. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

Knowing where the speed traps are makes you slow down when you drive near them.
    It achievs the same purpose, people drive slowly.

18. giantpinkbunnyhead

So, let's say I know there is a speed trap. I then decide to take an alternate route. Am I guilty here? Am I interfering with a cop who might otherwise bust me for speeding? What if I tell someone there is a speed trap, and this person consequently slows down? Will this be illegal? I sure hope not, because if as you say, prevention is the main goal, the cops would not mind this. But they do, judging by the law probiting me warning someone of a speed trap. Methinks prevention is not so important after all. Money talks louder.

Generally agreed, But to what extent? Are there not many, many more dangerous things our cops should be worried about? Speed limits aren't limits of safety. Just because it says "55 mph" doesn't mean a crash at 58 will kill you while a crash at 52 will be harmless. Of course higher speeds are deadly. If cops are going to treat speeding as such a serious thing because it's dangerous, let's just lower all the speed limits to 10 mph. Surely, no one can die in a crash at that speed. Oh wait... they have. speed limits are merely risk management that afford the cops a means to collect money on behalf of the city.
    No it doesn't. It could simply be a matter of me not liking the Big-Brother mentality of the speed trap concept. People don't usually like being watched, knowing the person watching is waiting or even hoping for a mistake to be made. I don't care if I am doing the limit. I don't like being watched. That's reason enough for me, and others, to avoid it.
    again, that's only an assumption. See my last response.
    Exactly! Which means we can't argue one route is more dangerous than another.
    I've never seen every car on a road get pulled over except for the few doing the speed limit. Never gonna happen. Also, speeding tickets and fines are poor deterrents. I'm walking proof of that, as well as most people I know. When I was a teenager, I racked up 6 speeding tickets in 4 years, the worst of which was a 93 in a 55. All it taught me was to be more vigilant in watching for cops. Granted, for the week or so after each ticket, I drove slower but then it was back to normal. All I can say is, I'm glad I never got nailed for anything above 93 mph, because I've spent plenty of time on (empty) freeways at speeds far, FAR in excess of that.

19. giantpinkbunnyhead

Syxx, all standard mooses feature laterally centered drivers seats, similar to the McLaren F1. This eliminates parallax error during cornering in opposite directions, giving the driver an equal distance between himself and either edge of his moose.
    The only driver licensing agency in Alaska is the DMV, and they only issue licenses for motor vehicles. Moose are not powered by motor but by biology, so they are considered exempt. Anyone can drive a moose who can get himself on top of it into the laterally centered drivers seat..

Since moose don't move too much, the mileage is rather low. The standard moose eats maybe 10 pounds a day and may walk anywhere from half a mile to several miles. The mileage is further complicated by the occurence of pregnant moose. Moose weigh more pregnant than unpregnant, plus they must eat for two mooses. Mileage on pregnant mooses is very bad.
    High performance moose have been observed travelling at 70 mph in the brief instant after being hit by a semi on the highway. Other moose have probably surpassed this speed falling off of cliffs. However, operating under it's own power, a high performance moose may be able to hit 25 mph.
    Negative. Moose don't have normal "poop" parts. When a moose drops it's load, you generally have dried, compacted pellets with no odor. If you didn't know it was moose poop, you would not find it objectionable. Additionally, a moose ejects its load not by squeezing, but simply "opening up" and the pellets tumble out. This procedure means that turbocharging would be ineffective due to the lack of internal pressure retention.
    Quite easy, as moose are actually more readily available in the wintertime. They do not hibernate, and they also migrate south into town from the Interior in order to find warmer climes. Mooses do not require kickstarting. But if you anger one, it's liable to kick-start you in the forehead.

And there you go! A concise essay on the functionality of ungulates in Alaska.

20. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Very funny, indeed...... :lol:

Sorry, I meant to say: very educational! ;)

Syxx shouldn't be teasing you about mooses in Alaska, last time I checked he lived in Copenhagen: That's Denmark: Denmark is Scandinavia: Scandinavia = moose-country. :D

David.