Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Speculation on DIII Followers: DII Chars?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by JSLAW, Aug 26, 2010.

1. JSLAW

JSLAW Diabloii.Net Member

Speculation on DIII Followers: DII Chars?

I am acuatlly a little surpirsed that no one has really been discussing what I feel is the biggest piece of "hinted" information we have had yet.

Here is what Jay Wilson said a long time ago when asked about whether mercenaries would be returning and whether they would be equipable like we all know and love:

Yeah, we call them "Followers" now, but we are bringing them back. We have not announced any kind of information on them, so we are not really talking about them, yet. I can say that they are a big improvement over the Diablo 2 mercenaries. They are definitely a lot more interesting, but we will be revealing something about them at a future time.

Next to revealing the 5th class and the new skill trees and resource systems for the classes, I am really anxions to see what these "big improvements" are. After all, evey hero needs a sidekick. Frankly, I loved the DII LOD mercenaries and felt they were a major improvement to the game.

But, that got me thiking...how could you really improve on a DII mercenary? I thought the AI was pretty good in DII and, through equiping them with certain items, they were definately customizable. Then I thought, "Why not just make them mini-characters with their own mini skill sets." That way, you could make them be, whatever you wanted them to be. Then I thought, wouldn't it be cool if they brought back the DII classes with mini skill-sets?

Example:
    Act One Mercenary: Paladin
    Act Tow Mercenary: Amazon
    Act Three Mercenary: Necromancer
    Act Four Mercenary: Druid

You could then cusotmize the follower with mini skill sets and then have AI customizations on how often they would use a particular skill.

My favorite action RPG (other than Diablo) is Kingdom Hearts for the playstation 2. Basically, this is how the system on the playstation worked where, you were only technically in control of your main character. The other characters also bore similar stats to the main character, were upgradable, equipable, and you could customize which skills they learned and, more importantly, how frequently (or unfrequently) then would use particular skills in combat. They also had customizable stances like agressive, defensive, etc.

I don't know, I just thought, wouldn't it be really fun if you had a really in-depth, equipable, customizable, side-kick? Wouldn't it be cool if the DII classes came back as customizable mercenaries. However, unlike mercenaries from DII, you actually have to earn their trust by perfoming various quests, rather than paying money to acquire the mercenaries? Sure you would only want one follower with you at a time, but could you have a whole team of followers back at your base camp with your artisans and, depending on the quest, pick and choose which follower you wanted to take?

This is all just speculation, but if Jay Wilson says it is going to be a "big improvement" then I anticipate it will be a "big improvement."

What do you guys think?

2. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Speculation on DIII Followers: DII Chars?

Hmmm, good point there.
    However, I foresee one problem. If they make followers and they make them fully customizable than your toon will be jealous. The reason is because he gets very little to change upon lvl up juxtaposed to the fully customizable follower.
    At one point players would rather play witth the follower than with their main toon... :(

So, although I really would like to see D2 heroes back as followers in D3 (although it seems a bit unrespectful IC). I do not think they'll have many more customizable options, atleast not more than your main toon.

E.G.
    Bob: Oh wait, I lvld up!
    Timmy: Gratz!
    (4 seconds later)
    Bob: Ok I'm done with my toon lvl up.
    Timmy: Ok, let's GAME ON
    Bob: No wait let me lvl up my follower
    (15 minutes later)
    Bob: Ok I'm done
    Timmy: ... ZzzzZzzzZzzz

3. chillietaco

chillietaco Diabloii.Net Member

They already had the paladin type merc in D2 act 2, and the rogues in act one are ranged like amazon. Necro follower would be sweet but i agree with TheMyth since you'd be jealous of the necro untill you played the necro in the expansion with it as the new class :D

4. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

I can think of several possible changes, but I doubt any of them will allow you to manually give the merc directions (e.g. ctrl + click on an enemy to send your merc at them). Too much micro-management normally doesn't work well in a hectic ARPG and D2 mercs were fairly independent anyway. Unlike the name "mercenary", the name "follower" doesn't necessarily imply the guy is following you for monetary reasons, so it's possible quests are involved somehow.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

- skill trees (instead of recruiting say a fire/ice/light rogue merc, you spec them in your skill of choice)
    - combat modes (aggressive, defensive, passive, cowardly etc to better complement the player's playstyle)
    - improved path finding & AI (doesn't get stuck in geometry)
    - item-based visual progression (better armor -> better looks, just like the player)
    - possible side-quest (nothing fancy, just something that brings the player closer to the merc)​

Blizzcon '10 will hopefully tell us more about this.

5. blackbisket

blackbisket Diabloii.Net Member

I think that was back in 2008, so maybe it was as simple as it didnt workout?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  6. Killafornia

Killafornia Diabloii.Net Member

It'll probably be like WoW where you go out into the wilds until you see one you can catch. Then you let it beat you up for 20 seconds while you tame it. Some might be buy-able as mounts though. :rolf:

7. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

[silly]
    My barbarian is going to mount your sorceress and tame her all week :)
    [/silly]

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

It's interesting to speculate. I think your proposed system it too radical; they're followers after all, not co-adventurers. But it's a good start to wondering what's up with these guys. Bliz has said nothing concrete yet but that mercs are now called followers, and that they'll be much upgraded and improved from D2. How? Dunno.

Do those NPC's provide abilities to the hero, like a proper party system?
    Julian Love: That's also not yet finalised. We're trying to make them definitely a step above the henchmen of Diablo II, but how big of a step is something I can't say yet. Hopefully next time we reveal something I can show you more.

D2 mercs had weapon/hat/armor, and they came in a variety of types. The most useful for most chars were the act 2 mercs since they had auras.

So what's D3, then? What's more than a tank with 3-4 pieces of equipment, and auras? Better AI? More items in the equip? Inv to help you carry moar?

9. mince pies

mince pies Diabloii.Net Member

The AI for Mercenaries in D2 was terrible. I didn't like having to practically babysit something which was supposed to be helping me.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i could really see the mercs (followers) being alot like hunter pets in wow. they each have their own mini skill tree and you can customize their skills however you want. also more slots for equipment

11. WizardGurl

WizardGurl Diabloii.Net Member

A follower would be nice to help you.
    And the skill tree idea would be nice.

12. Intolerance

Intolerance Diabloii.Net Member

Mercs in D2 LoD are a huge reason the game is so horribly imbalanced. Even without ridiculous runeword weapons like infinity or pride, mercs are still overpowered in a) their tanking ability and b) their ability to kill, say, a Li/FI monster for a Fire/Lightning sorc.

I'm not a fan of minions outside of what characters can create via skills like skellies, golems, valk, bear/wolves, shadow warrior, etc. Making hirelings better than they are in D2 seems foolish.

13. voraginous

voraginous Diabloii.Net Member

I kinda have mixed feelings on mercs as well. they're often indispensible for HC or underpowered fun builds, but they make the most OP builds in the game even more OP (except maybe hammerdins?). and it kinda kills the lone adventurer roguelike feel. even moreso than other partymembers, which at least have an RPG-like feel to them. mercenaries kinda make it more of an epic heroic game with followers trailing in your wake because of your awesomeness, which definitely fits the more epic tone of d3. but if the merc is doing all the killing thats bad, and if the merc is doing nothing but dying thats also bad. so its a tough balance thematically and statistically

Best option is to make them useful (and smart!) and if an individual player wants to handicap himself by not using them thats his decision.

14. Apocalypse

to make them good they have to give them a personality. thats my opinion anyway. lets be honest having some random jerk with a polearm follow you around will never be as cool as Minsc following you around

15. Arbedark

Arbedark Diabloii.Net Member

I just hope followers aren't too much of a "must have".

I want my character to be the powerful one killing Diablo, not some random caravan guard who's meant to be following me around.

This problem was especially true in D2 with Insight, Infinity etc Polearms, and the sheer damage some mercs could pump out.

By not having a merc in D2 you were seriously gimping your potential, which is something I'd like to avoid in D3.

16. cheerupemokid10

cheerupemokid10 Diabloii.Net Member

Well I'm not sure how many people have played Guild Wars but they have a pretty good system set up for their "mercs" which are called heroes. The heroes have some customizable gear and stats. The heroes are NPC's of all the playable classes and are unlocked at times throughout the story. What makes this interesting is that you can then choose their skills and unlock more skills. GW has a different skill system and there are a lot more skills to choose from, but the "mini-skill" idea would be very handy for D3 helpers. It's like choosing a Might merc or a HF merc, or deciding which runeword aura to use for those rich bnet players. The only difference is you get a few more options and it can completely enhance your gameplay. But with the complexity of the skill rune system that might make it impossible for you to be able to enhance your follower. Either way, I'm glad that they are getting a boost to be a lot more effective and, I'm hoping, customizable.

17. Apocalypse

yup i was gimped in d2 cause i rarely had a merc out and i never gave them any of the runewords that made them gods. infact i never even had any of those runewords for myself probably cause i stopped playing before they became common place

18. Arbedark

Arbedark Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations on missing the important word in my post, I'll highlight it for you:

"POTENTIAL"

Better?

19. Valhauros

Valhauros Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with Intolerance regarding the fact that their equipping equipping feature from D2X created imbalance in the end-game and PvP in multiplayer. I doubt they will wowify the Followers into a pet of sorts and I think their changed name clearly implies that they are with you for different reasons, like just money, indicating that they presence will be more significant.

What I think that most likely Followers won't have:

- A particular skill tree or elemental selection.
    - An inventory or any other kind of storage ability.
    - Personalized control or movement from the player.
    - WoW Pet stances (aggresive, passive, defensive).
    - Strong reminiscence from previous character classes.

What I believe that the mentioned improvements could be:

- Improved movement and better following. (Moonfrost's)
    - Model's progression according to equipment level. (Moonfrost's)
    - Their special abilities won't work against other players.
    - Every follower can only wear and wield certain types of items.
    - Some might offer insight and/or tips regarding certain quests.
    - Now you can revive them on the spot, with an item or a certain fee.
    - Once unlocked, they will always be in the Act Town's Inn or Tavern.
    - When in the town you can always change between the ones unlocked.
    - You can choose to leave your follower in town, for increased challenge.
    - Perhaps when not active, they can offer you mini-games for a small fee.
    - The followers will acquire useful, but unnecessary, abilities over the time.

20. Apocalypse

no i am pretty sure i saw what you wrote the first time, was pretty much agreeing with you. sorry you seemed to miss that though