Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Specific Advice for a Travincal Merc

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by lukefojut, May 5, 2008.

1. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

Specific Advice for a Travincal Merc

Hi guys

With a unlimited budget (well, up to xx HRs), what would be the ideal setup for a Hammerdin's Merc specifically used for running Trav? I've found a BK4, a +28 Life P&B Skiller and other goodies in 3-4 hours of Trav runs and I'm enjoying the luck :laugh: I know that statistically this can't continue for long, but I'd like to see for how long.

Even with BO he's still dying to Hydras at the moment - my gf is a supportive Diablo 'widow', but he usually dies when I'm chatting with her :rolleyes:

Assuming I want to leave his Insight on, what helm/armour would you guys recommend? I'm currently using a crappy eth Forti and Crown of Thieves.

2. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Re: Specific Advice for a Travincal Merc

If he allready have max resistance in hell maybe a Vex in the CoT for +5 to max resistance making it 80% instead of 75%?

But if you teleport around a little and don't let the merc tank a gadgillion Hydras he should be able to deal with it fairly easy. The conc aura and a nice beatstick will let him leach fairly well. Too bad mercs can't use jewelry :laugh:

3. monte cristo

monte cristo IncGamers Member

Try swapping cot for a gaze with good magic damage reduction - assumind merc has high level we will have max res anyway so extra fr from cot is wasted. But honestly i would dump insight (mana pots are in the game for a reason :wink3:) - travi merc needs highest damage possible to kill council members before they cast too many hydras. Since runes are not a problem for You i would go for eth botd ghost spear or war pike.

4. lukefojut

That's an idea Ko, but I'd probably get him a better Unique helm first before Vex'ing it.

Sorry, but you're a designer and have to play with the original brief :grin: The Insight stays, as I don't just run Trav and it's possibly the most useful runeword for my Hammerdin ever... Enigma excluded. Good idea with the Gaze - I think I might happen to have an eth Gaze with mediocre stats overall, but great MDR. Yes, you assumed rightly that he's high level (well, 90).

5. middleman35

middleman35 IncGamers Member

If you're sure that Elemental damage is the problem then there's an easy solution. Guardian Angel. +15% max res with a few UM's in gear should take care of it.

6. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I thought you would, but no matter which helm it is a solution, though it costs a hr. So you decide if that hr is worth the use, or if the gold for resurection would be better :grin:

7. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

My merc survives there with a GA, a Kira's and a Bonehew. Do you really need the Insight?

8. lukefojut

Ah - eth Guardian Angel - ofc!

For the third time, yes.

9. Anthraquinone

Anthraquinone IncGamers Member

I find that a good amount of life leech is important if you want to leave your merc at travi. Why not try CoH in combination with a leech helm (CoT, gaze, Andy's)?

Something that stuns/distracts the council is also very helpful. As I'm typing, the combo Delirium/CoH springs to my mind.

Anyway, you still will need to help with your hammerdin, i.e. teleporting and regrouping if the heat becomes to intense...
    -AnQ

10. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

You can combine an Um'd GA and a Tal's Helm. You get max resists (should get, anyway), 10% leech and even some +life. Maybe you will have to use another Um in Tal helm, since +30 resists may not be enough to top out the new 90 max res on the merc. But when you do, he will be VERY resistant to fire damage.

11. DANIEL3RD

DANIEL3RD IncGamers Member

It shouldnt take you long to kill the council and if your merc suffers from resistence, why not use your Salvation aura with Guardian angel.

12. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

how about some iDR/mDR?

Gladiators Bane, Sol'd Vamp Gaze, Insight stick.

each individual hydra spit does pretty low damage, it's the sheer number of them that makes those council hydra even remotely dangerous. so a good dose of mDR makes ones merc rather invulnerable.

it's only if there's a conviction aura in there that you need to worry about him.

13. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

If your merc is a holy freeze one, swap it out for a might merc. He leeches a lot more with that on, especially combined with concentration.

14. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Honestly, the only way I can see a merc survive the council is simply to tank them yourself. There is no saving them from the hydras otherwise. MDR is probably useless as the dras does something like 6x (or was it 10x) damage to your merc when compared to you.

15. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

im not sure if one of these would work:

gloom armor for the 15% chance to cast dim vision when struck together with one of the usual leech helms.

delirium for controlling the council members, should lower the number of hydras cast by a lot. armor should probably be coh.

since you will do the killing yourself and probably have an enigma to teleport, you could also try something with "Hit Causes Monsters to Flee" like mask of horrors or rattlecage.

basically everything that keeps the number of hydras low and the council busy will probably work better then having your merc tank the hydra damage .

16. Nacken

Nacken IncGamers Member

my merc uses steel shade helmet, the absorb is really helping out

17. DANIEL3RD

DANIEL3RD IncGamers Member

I have equipped my act 2 merc with Duress armour, eth Bonehew (amn, amn) and Delerium helm.

Before I ventue forth I use Call to Arms. The council are slowed up as my toon is a frost zealot and the auras on delerium activate almost the instance the merc is hit so my merc hardly ever dies to them.

If I see him getting into any kind of difficulty I use my salvation aura which boosts his resistences which I think are maxed to begin with. But it seems to help anyway.

18. SalivaMonster

SalivaMonster IncGamers Member

Since you insist to keep the insight, extra amount of leach is a must.

I suggest you dump the efort and go with eCoH.

eCoH give the same damage boost (200%ED) to council (which are demons). Did you mention this is dedicated to council?
    eCoH give 8% extra leach, which make up for damage he took.
    eCoH give 65% extra resist. Why is that important? Because 50% of the time one the the council boss is conviction enchanted!

Remember the top 5 merc killer of Tranv Councils:
    1. Stone skin PI. Your merc can't leach
    2. Holy Freeze. Your merc can't leach fast enough
    3. Cold Enchanted. Your merc is frozen and can't leach fast enough
    4. Conviction. Your merc took too much elemental damage
    5. Amped. Council members are not exceptionally good at melee, so this is not as important.

My gf barb's merc use cham'ed Gface (because with eBOTD warpike, his ll is more than enough). You can consider cham'ed CoT or cham'ed Gaze.

19. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I would put conviction and amp way before stone skin and holy freeze. I run trav with my barb and my merc has no problems with neither (as I usually target them first myself). For code enchanted, chaming your helm (or use a duriel's shell) solve the problem. LE is a small problem too, depending on the other mods.

By the way, unless I am mistaken, 1 council is always cursed.

20. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

I think it's Izmail Vilehand, but I may be wrong.