Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Spearazon Weapon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Itsjase00, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Itsjase00

Itsjase00 IncGamers Member

Spearazon Weapon

I just wanted to know...

What would be the best option to make a BotD out of, an Eth. Matriarchal Pike, or an Eth. Matriarchal Spear (with +3 to jav skills)?

I know that the Pike is capable of dealing more damage than the Spear, but what draws me to the spear are the lower requirements, and the higher base speed.

I originally intended to use a 'Silence' Mat. Pike to cover my resists, but realized that the weapon would be near useless with only 20% ias and 200% ed as opposed to a BotD's 60% ias and high end ed%.

Keep in mind that this is(Obviously) for PvM. I just wanted to test out a new build for myself.

And if I sound ignorant ANYWHERE, Poo on me..I'm not good at the technical aspects of D2 :scratch:

2. Itsjase00

No ideas eh...

Woke up this morning...no posts, so i figure there aren't many opinions on spearazons to begin with... :grrr:

Oh well, I'll be patient.

3. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

I guess many people live or are online in the same timezone as you, so they all went to bed or quit the computer at the same time. ;)

I think you answered your own question already. The Matriarchal Spear has a decent base weapon speed, not extremely pressing requirements allowing for points into vitality and if you're a fan of it, energy. It won't require a lot of IAS gear like the Matriarchal Pike and the damage will be good enough after BotD has been placed into it. The average player would prefer this weapon to a Matriarchal Pike.

4. Itsjase00

:worship: Thank you. :worship:

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Without a doubt the spear all the way. A spearazon needs insane attack speed in 1.10 to NOT be interrupted constantly in melee monster packs.

6. Itsjase00

Just wondering...
    Would Knockback be effective for this build to prevent being swarmed?
    I was thinking of using Laying of Hands(for the dmg to demons) in cunjunction with a Giant Skull for the Knockback and + str, and maybe putting 2 Um or some sort of resist jewel in it.

Any further thoughts on this?

7. GITO86

GITO86 IncGamers Member

im making a spearzon soon, except im going to use this sexy ethereal ariocs i got. 4 skills, pretty fast, good damage, 50% deadly strike, and a little psn for good measure. and imo knockback isnt good for meleers, it takes longer to kill things. instead of trying to knockback the monsters, why not kill them instead :D

8. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Indeed the combination of base -10 speed, 30% ias, ignore target's defense, huge +skills and good damage makes an arloc's needle better than (in my opinion) a BoTD matriarchal pike/spear or warpike. BoTD provides very little attack rating (+50) and no amount of damage will matter if you can't land your hits. An arloc's does this quickly and guaranteed (unless it is a champ/boss but you can use a merc/valk to help you there) so i believe it beats BoTD. That and an ethereal arloc's even better! As for knockback, yes it is not suited for melee builds because who wants to chase down monsters. While you are chasing them down you will likely be in run mode which will make your defense = 0.

9. Itsjase00

Thanks for the input, guys. :thumbsup:

I suppose I'll throw out the Giant Skull for something more useful... and I'll look into an Arioc's Needle as an alternative weapon.

10. admiral_ju00

admiral_ju00 IncGamers Member

i'll take a spear over a pike any day of the week.
    especially if it's 4, 5 or 6 socketed (does not really have to be ethereal) :D

11. Itsjase00

Interesting... but Ethereal would be optimal so you don't lose the dmg bonus for the item being ethereal.

12. admiral_ju00

admiral_ju00 IncGamers Member

true, but those 5 or 6 socket ethereals are hard to come by, so if i can't get one in ethereal, i'll take a 4 or more socketed one over anything else, at least for a while. :D