Spearazon strategy

chickenhed

Diabloii.Net Member
Spearazon strategy

Thinking of making a spearazon, but I have never made one before. I know I should max CS and its synergies and that CS is wonderful for bosses. But what about general PvM strategies? Do you use CS as you main skill when leveling and questing? Any advice or general info would be great. I checked the guides here, the SC, and the amazon basin but I couldnt find anything for a spearazon.

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
For a Spearazon you definitely want to max CS and at least one synergy. Maxing all of the synergies is up to you, but you might find that their are better uses for those skill points. Your main consideration is how are you going to deal with LIs. As a full spearazon your only real option is physical damage. This means either Jab or Fend. Because of the bug with fend, you wont want to put any points into the Dodge/Evade skills. This means you have to decide if you want more damage for dealing with LIs, but no Valkyrie, or do you want a lower damage Jab with a Valk. Either are viable options. If you go with Fend, then you'll have enough points left over to max two CS synergies, if you go with Jab and a Valk then you'll only have enough to max one.

chickenhed

Diabloii.Net Member
whomhead said:
For a Spearazon you definitely want to max CS and at least one synergy. Maxing all of the synergies is up to you, but you might find that their are better uses for those skill points. Your main consideration is how are you going to deal with LIs. As a full spearazon your only real option is physical damage. This means either Jab or Fend. Because of the bug with fend, you wont want to put any points into the Dodge/Evade skills. This means you have to decide if you want more damage for dealing with LIs, but no Valkyrie, or do you want a lower damage Jab with a Valk. Either are viable options. If you go with Fend, then you'll have enough points left over to max two CS synergies, if you go with Jab and a Valk then you'll only have enough to max one.
awesome, thanks for the info! so, what about general killing/questing? Use CS for that as well?

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
Use whatever works best, but CS is probably the way to go. It is much more effective if you can get a crowd of monsters together. That way more of your bolts are likely to hit. Against large monsters (especially bosses) CS rocks. Hard.

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm right now playing a spearazon in the melee blues tourney. Although there are some special considerations because of the restrictions there, the general line along which you should develop your char isn't very item dependant.

My plan is max CS, LS, LF (only as a synergy in the tourney... later if she survives I may actually use that skill), 11 into valk (with +6 passive skills that gets the ominous lvl 17 valk where she gets her best weapon). prereqs and D/A/E take up some more points. Jab is necessary as a prereq anyways and I plan to use that against LI. +6 spear skills is easy to get, so I'll have at least 7 points Jab and I hope that will be enough. If not, I'll have to get some more points there.

I'm almost through A2 NM now and everything easily falls. Against smaller numbers of foes I use CS, and against larger crowds I use LS.

Thirty-Thirty

Diabloii.Net Member
I maxed the 3 lightning/spear skills, but it turned out Power Strike is a waste of time. LI's aren't a problem if you have about 1k jab damage and a fairly quick weapon. Also, CB works well with Jab, even if your physical damge is lower.

For general play, Lightning Strike takes care of large packs, Charged Strike butchers small packs, individuals, and bosses, and Jab, combined with a merc, and a decent valkyrie (I always go for level 27) take care of LIs without any trouble at all.

And Lightning Strike is a lot of fun, IMHO. 21 hits? Those clumps of carvers become an epileptic fit of lighting. Its beautiful.

MadMardigan

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll echo Thirty-thirty here and say that Lightning Strike is Awesome. It starts off slow, but once you get a good number of points into it, the damage just takes off.

I've got a thread going about weapon choices if you're undecided, but once you hit 42, you should definately use Lycander's Flank if you've got one. +4 spear skills, +2 to the rest, life leech, strength, vitality, and decent speed make for a great spear.

My lady just bested the ancients in normal. No problem at all on /p8. You're next Baal!

~Jay

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
Thirty-Thirty said:
a decent valkyrie (I always go for level 27) take care of LIs without any trouble at all.
Level 27 is a decent level? It counts for very good IMO :)

My spearazon used LS in general for crowds and CS for smaller groups and big monsters (frenziers etc). I also use CS for monsters I want to first, eg. HF bosses.

I've maxed out Lightning bolt as a synergy and as a ranged weapon to avoid the FE bug.

Power strike is weaker in terms of damage but because it gives an ar boost, people have reported maxing it as a synergy and as a means to leech back mana.

Maxing jab/fend is not necessary if you want to handle PIs only but more pts are welcome if you want to have more of a physical presence. Use jab/fend to leech back mana.

Another weapon of note would be a +3 "Honor" zon spear. Low lvl req, +4 skills in total and ar/DS, make it a great mid-range weapon. Only drop-back might be the lack of speed.

MadMardigan: I didn't want to post twice but my pts here apply too to your thread too.

MadMardigan

Diabloii.Net Member
Sunbearie: As they're on the same topic, I should hope your points apply to both threads.

Back to lurking,
~Jay

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Valkyrie and Decoy are your friends. Learn how to use Decoy well, it will save your life innumerable times. Cast it in the middle or the back of a crowd to split it in half. Cast it next to the merc or valkyrie to save them. Cast it near you to save yourself. Use it to block doorways and paths. Use it as a pseudo-human shield by staying behind it and poking through (this can also be done with the valk and merc). Cast one behind you whenever you retreat. It goes on...

Get some crushing blow somewhere. Even a small amount is good. A guillaume's face + gorerider would be great, though this may impact your resists. Jab + decent damage spear + CB = dead LIs. I personally also keep an Atma's Scarab in my inventory in case of an LI/PI.

Learn to retreat, to bring the battle into better terrain (a chokepoint, like a doorway or a narrow path blocked with decoy, would be great) or to separate parts of the crowd while the rest of it worry about your decoy (see why decoy is important?). Learn to use Slow Missiles and avoid those projectiles like an 80s arcade game.

Use CS against bosses, large enemies, and tightly packed crowds. Use LS against large, sparse crowds. A tactic I use it, when faced with a single LI surrounded by non LIs (eg Durance 3 in the side rooms), I hit them with LS and kill them with physical damage while the rest of the crowd get eaten away by the lightning. Use Jab against LIs obviously, and you can also use it to leech back mana.

Consider a Blessed Aim or Rogue merc (I've got a Rogue, personally). You AR is going to suck and you can't leech unless the physical part of CS actually hits.

And never, ever get surrounded. Ever. Always attack on the edge of a crowd. If there's a priority target at the back of a crowd, tie them up with decoy and valkyrie and go around them to the target. Always allow yourself a path of retreat.

My skill distribution is:
20 CS
20 LS
18 Valk
20 Penetrate
5 PS

When I get valk maxed I'll put the rest into PS.