Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Spearazon on a budget

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by themachine, Oct 5, 2006.

1. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

Spearazon on a budget

The thread about Spearazons got me thinking and I had a theory as far as the fend bug went so I had to test it. So far she is lvl26 and just about to beat D's hiney in Normal. Working very well so far. With no D/A/E I don't get Valk but I dont get the fend bug either.

The plan:

Fendazon on a budget

Jab - 20 (used for single targets - left click)
    Fend - 20 (used for packs - right click)
    Critical - 20
    Penetrate - 20
    Slow Missles - 1
    Decoy - 1+ ?

Helm: Darksight (up) (Ctc dim vision, cant be frozen, cloak of shadows charges, mana leech, fire resist) (originally I chose Guillaume's but the crushing blow alone without many other nice mods just doesnt cut it)
    Wpn1: Kelpie Snare (upped) (slows enemies 75%!)
    Wpn2: Lycander's Flank, 'Passion', Steel Pillar (anything for bigger dmg)
    Belt: Nosferatu's or ThunderGod's Vigor are the better choices though but will cost more. String of Ears is cheaper and still good with nice life leech.
    Armr: 'Gloom' (45%resists, Ctc dim vision when struck, good def bonus, etc)
    Boots: Gore Riders (I'm crushing your head!)
    Gloves: LOH or Rends? (tough call. Do I want the +350% extra dmg to demons and ias, or do I want an extra 10% crushing blow and +str but high str req? hmmmm...)
    Rings: Rares with resists and leeching.
    Ammy: Atma's Scarab (amp dmg - 'nuff said about that!)
    Charms: Lots and lots of resist/dmg small charms. =)

I think I may be lacking resists with this build though.

Merc:
    helm: Andy's (+skills, ias, LL, +str)
    wpn: superior ethereal Collossus Voulge. either 'Obedience' or 'Crescent Moon'. Both are cheap to make and have great mods.
    Armr: Duress in as big of armour as he can fit his *** into.

How's this sound? Any suggestions?

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

with all your ctc goodies why not go with treachery armor so you get the cool fade going along with venom. ooo and maybe if you want/need another distraction/tank you could go with stone yeah i like that idea. it's got fhr (you have enough?) some res, huuuuge def, str, vit....more i look at it more i think that's what you need. since you dont have a shield i think you need some-a lot of dr. so maybe shaftstop or levi would be better. Edit: i just reread gloom, it has a lot of what you're looking for but i still say there's better.

dracs i'd say for gloves. less worry about leeching. if not then maybe blood crafts would work for you. you get leech and crushing without rends' str req

a crappy dungo>best string. if you lack res belt is a decent spot to pick it up. ik has some as well as str. diciple has some and str/dex as well.

what base weapon types can you fend/jab with? i'd think reapers would be a better pole if it's allowed. what kind of ias are you going to need? if you go reapers and or dracs maybe highlords would be better. if you're lacking res metalgrid is keen with some other good bonuses.

maybe a faith merc would be better. kind of expensive i know but i always liked one tank/one ranger method of soloing.

darksight is great but maybe delerium would work much to the same effect. i do like the cloak charges and dim vision is unbeatable for controlling rangers...but well maybe confusion would do much the same on rangers. shako does have great life/mana and some dr too it's notjust for casters any more.

i'm just doing this off the top of my head i'm sure i've missed things.

3. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

If this is a budget build, a Faith Rogue would be out of the question.. if using that an eBOTD MP would be the best. But I would suggest Reapers on merc and Highlords on your self.

4. themachine

I want to go with Atma's for the ctc Amp Dmg. It removes most physical immunes and essentially doubles my dmg.

Drac's are great gloves but I dont want too many things getting cast to interfere with Amp. For that reason I dont like Reapers either.

Faith is out. If I could afford a Faith bow it would be on my strafeazon.

One thing I thought of is that Dim Vision would be casting on all the melee guys that hit me as well as archers, overwriting my ampdmg. Perhaps if I found a ring that had dimvision charges? That could get pricey though constantly repairing items for charges.

I will likely go with Guillaume's after all for the crushing blow.

For armour perhaps Smoke would be better?
    Nef + Lum
    +75% Enhanced Defense
    +280 Defense Vs. Missile
    All Resistances +50
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    Level 6 Weaken (18 Charges)
    +10 To Energy
    -1 To Light Radius

For jab and Fend I can only use spear class weapons, so Reapers is out, but I dont want it even on my merc as I want AmpDmg lit up all the time.

I guess what I am primarily going for here is full out, as high as possible physical dmg, using easy to find/make gear.

And I like the idea of treachery armour. The only downside of that would be the low defence as it doesnt give a defence bonus. Fade and the IAS might make up for that though.

5. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

You've got a good list of gear there, and it is not my habit to change too much, as I feel a build should be personal to the player. Most of your gear looks good as well, so the few suggestions that I would make are:

1. LoH when you use Kelpie as your main weapon. The 75% slow makes all the monsters you Fend slower than a very elderly snail. As such, the Life Tap from Drac's will not be essential.

2. If Kelpie is your main weapon, make sure you upgrade it. If you are rich, get it eth and Zod it.

3. Speed is king when it comes to Fend. Lycander's, off the top of my head, requires 120% IAS to reach a follow-up 5 fpa Fend. Consider Stoneraven as well. It requires 60% IAS to reach a follow-up 5 fpa Fend, is comparable with upgraded Lycander's in terms of damage output, requires less str/dex to use, comes with some magic damage, and some nice resists as well.

4. I'd go with Nosferatu's for the additional 10% slow, 10% IAS and life leech. Tgod's is only helpful when facing Souls. But also consider SoE for the 15% PDR, MDR by 15, and 8% life leech (assuming perfect). Verdungo's is good, but not as good for this build, which needs lots of life leech.

5. Other than Gloom, Fortitude and CoH are good options, for the Enhanced Damage, more so if Kelpie (which only goes as high as 180% ed) is your main weapon. Treachery is another great armour for the Venom, FHR, 45% IAS and the hidden 15% PDR from a slvl 15 Fade.

6. Darksight is a good choice for the CBF and CoS. Consider Andariel's Visage if you need the IAS, and it also offers more life leech. Vampire Gaze is another excellent choice for the dual leech, PDR% and MDRx.

7. Atma's Scarab is fine, as is Highlord's Wrath for the DS and IAS.

8. On skills, do not max Jab. 1 hard point will do. The damage returns is not worth maxing it. Consider a maxed Decoy. Critical has diminishing returns, so aim for a good compromise after +skills. You may even save enough spare skill points to invest into CS or LS, for some AoE lightning damage and variety.

Basically, try to fit in as much life leech, PDR%, resists, damage, IAS, FHR and CB as you can, and in that order.

No, Fend only works with spears and javelins.

Edit:
    Defense means little to a Fendazon. She will get hit. Which is why all the other stuff is more important, e.g. life leech, damage, IAS etc.

6. themachine

A very insightful post! Thanks Frost. I completely overlooked Stoneraven. Thats a damn nice poker, especially for the resists. I will upgrade to that once I hit lvl62.

As far as skills go, I dont want to go with any lightning skills. Pure physical. Any elemental dmg will be a bonus, basically whatever items and charms give. So I may as well get all I can out of Crit and Jab as I can. It may only be +42% dmg at slvl20 Jab but thats x3 uninteruptable attacks. I will Max Decoy before maxing Crit and Jab though. Decoy can be a great distraction for archers or for scouting.

I have a Treachery armour on a mule. I will give it a try when I hit appropriate level.

7. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

How are you going to deal with Iron Maiden? You will need an alternative (ranged) attack.

8. themachine

Well so far IM isnt bugging me too much as long as Im careful in Chaos Sanctuary. I have been drawing out melee fighters with Decoy, taking care of them, and scout ahead with decoy and take out casters 1 by 1. If I get IM'ed then I fall back. Its a slow process but Im determined to make a spear-only, pure physical dmg fendazon.

9. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

I'm thinking of building a speary, but with more of a 1-hit kill focus.

It's pretty much a stock standard melee javazon build, but with much higher physical damage potential, and no shield of course.

1 Jab (main attack, but more than 1 point here will yield minimal AR/ED gains, and i'll be hopefully getting plenty of +jav/spear skills on her)
    20 Charged Strike (main hurt machine)
    20 Light. Strike (synergy and crowd controlly thing)
    xx Power Strike (synergy)
    1-x Critical Strike (will depend on +skills, and other DS sources on gear)
    1-x Penetrate (I'm hoping to get away with only 1 here, EBotD has -25% def)
    1 each Dodge, Avoid, Evade (I'm aware of the bug, but i'm not using Fend, and Jab will be too fast/powerful to notice)

rest of points to either Critical Strike or lightning synergys, or perhaps Jab, or D/A/E for more tankyness.

No points in Valk or Pierce, or Lightning Fury (yep, i'm crazy), no points in Decoy and it's prereqs either.

The difference is, I'm going to build her twinked, not until I have most/all of her gear. Most important are EBotD +3 MatPike, CoH/Fort, crafted +2jav/spear gloves.

Merc will be Act 1 with Faith, to speed up the MatPike. I need 86% IAS for 9 frame normal attack (Charged Strike speed also) with level 12 Fanaticism, 80% with level 15 Fanaticism. 80% from EBotD and gloves makes this easy to get to. Kind of like a role reversal, I will be the "tank", while she hangs back and spams away.

Will be mainly PvM, but it wont hurt to see how she PvP's.

Heck, I may even have to write a guide for it after it's all tested and done.

10. WrongdayJ

WrongdayJ IncGamers Member

A friend of mine uses that Act I merc set-up. . .with some different gear. . .to great effect. He tanks with a Valk and then the Rouge throws up the heavy artillery from the rear.

I tried a similar low level experiment and gave the Rouge the unique 'Rogues Bow' (only for the + 50 to attack speed) and it was really fun. I can only imagine how that would go with a high level Rouge with cold arrows and some higher end equipment. . .I would be VERY interested in hearing about anyone doing a build like this.

11. Moonflax

Moonflax IncGamers Member

Many builds have no choice but to be extremely deft in fighting OBs. Many barb builds are much the same. It's in anyone's best interest to closely eye these guys and be ready to stop swinging at any given second. Some builds, like WW barb or Fendzon, just get screwed, because they can be hit with IM while in mid-swing.

For a fendzon, my suggestion is what I found to be best: use jab instead. In the presence of an oblivion knight, change your tactic to "duck, weave, infiltrate, kill Ob ASAP". They will usually stand back and chuck things at you while you engage their undead melee friends, which is exactly what they want you to do.

12. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

"The Fend bug" is allegedly that it can be interrupted, right, or is it something else?

13. Moonflax

I have one myself. She's about 89 now. She has a rough time, to be honest, but she is doable in Hell under certain conditions. She's under-equipped, because most of what she needs is expensive, or alternately, ladder only, and I need to play on a ladder to fish her some things over.

Ideally, I'll have her in a Phoenix spear, probably of the Zon-only persuesion, as they can also + skills. I am wondering about armor but I'm really leaning towards Fort. Chilling Armor gives a delicious boost to defense, and will also retort ranged attackers, and the cold effect will slow them up a bit while you deal with their meat shields or slip around for the kill. That aside, if one thinks that isn't good enough, consider that there is a hefty E.Damage % on Fortitude as well, which is right up your alley.

I use dracs already. I have considered souldrainers as well. Life Tap is hard to let go of though, although I must admit, weaken is also quite tempting for things hitting me physical, and you want to get your PDR up as well. Note that it wont be on your armor if you use fort. You could go Leviathan (ladder only, by the way, but comes in ethereal flavor for 25% PDR).

(Edit Insert: If I get a Phoenix, I will probably no longer need Dracul's at all! Phoenix carries the Redemption runeword on you at all times, not to mention other wonderfully meaty mods, such as 400% Ed)

At present, mine uses Smoke though. Its in a bolrog skin, gives me about 900 defense, and yes, I have it for the resistances, which are lovely. As you stack resists in charms you can graduate out of that as well as those rings, and get your hand on some BK's. That's more leech, and more life! Not to mention more skills.

Atma's is wonderful for this build. Highlords is also a viable option though I must agree, for that one reason that you can handle phys immunes using the Amp, makes Atma's likely the best.

Gore Riders are the best boots for melee damage.

Also, if you can find yourself satisfied with one spear, grabbing a CtA for switch would also be extremely beneficial as you could cast BO on yourself at any time.

Having said all that, I've distantly left the realm of "budget" haven't I? Oh well, it gives you goals to work towards. :}~<

14. Moonflax

I have heard nothing on it myself but I can offer that from my own experiences, sometimes I release a fend, and it misses all of every 20 some-odd targets present. Giving me to beleive that it is interruptable, yet will still play the animation for it.

This supports my theory that Pride on a mercenary would be extremely beneficial.

15. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

I see. Well, I was asking because unless it's something other than the simple fact that when you get hit while fending, you stop, I don't think it's bugged. I mean, if it couldn't be interrupted it wouldn't have a single drawback and thus be thoroughly broken, so when people say it's bugged I wonder if they're referring to something more technical....

Perhaps those misses are just AR-related/coincidence?

16. FrostBurn

Fend is bugged.

With reference to D/A/E, block and hit recovery, if any of these trigger when your zon is Fending, all subsequent Fend attacks will miss, even if you see her performing the animation.

This link has much more detail on the bug.

17. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

Okay, I read. That's a pretty simple matter. Thanks.

18. Moonflax

Aha, so that's what it is. Then I am sure that with the right gear, my zon will be quite effective once they fix that bug.

I hope they patch again and fix it. :}~<

19. FrostBurn

Don't get your hopes up.....

20. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

this bug is as old as d2 so i'm pretty sure it won't happen