Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Spear barb?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Hurrikaani, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Hurrikaani

Hurrikaani IncGamers Member

Spear barb?

What build you suggest to spear barb? I've always liked to get one and my last build was so shitty that i dont want to talk about it. :lol:
    What would be primary move , what would be good items and so on? This would be PvP build , pubby games and so on... but problem is that people say like this:Barb+no shield=dead barb - barb+shield=good barb. So should i get damn big ar , dmg reduce or resists? Tell me points of this barb and so on but ill go to sleep now. :yawn:

2. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

BotD Ghost Spear
    CoH or Enigma
    AF
    Highlords
    Raven
    (ring of your choice)
    Vergundos or String
    IK or Steelrends
    Tavs or Gores

Some resist charms and a anni

str for equip
    dex for equip
    vit rest

20 bo
    20 shout
    20 ww
    20 mastery
    1 zerk, NR, inc speed
    Rest where you see fit

This build should be able to survive anywhere in Hell with good killing power

3. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

i have a 6 socket eth ghost spear for trade. it is pretty much hands down the best botd spear for a barb.

4. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

So everyone is swimming in BoTD weapons except me?

5. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

That's the same thought I always have and I find it revolting, how large the sentiment is that you can't be good without it (I'm not if you havn't guessed)

6. chien

chien IncGamers Member

Hmmm. just wonder where are so many zod runes coming from?? Duped? or they are found?

7. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I echo that sentiment...it seems like you can't build a decent char, especially abarb or pally, without Enigma, CoH, or BoTD being a pre-requisite item.

For once i'd like to see someone reccomend a good, viable barb build that doesn't rely on the aforementioned runewords, and one that relies on more available items. I mean, surely Arioc's or Viperfork are viable for a Whirler? Or Hellslayer...Windhammer? Lionheart's still a great runeword in the right armor, and surely there are any number of 1 handed weapons that are viable to a Concer or Whirler?

C'mon peeps...let's see some more down and dirty builds without the uber l33t runewords...

-X

8. Fearoth

Fearoth IncGamers Member

If youre on ladder the next best thing to a botd spear is an upgraded ethereal hone sundan yari- hits around 715 max dmg with good % 3 free sockets (fill them with shaels to hit last bp, the spear has self repair mod so zod is not needed) and 45% crushing blow.Very effective if u ask me.

9. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

Agreed. :)

10. Krazy_Solo

Krazy_Solo IncGamers Member

Even so you guys are forgetting the runes that it takes to upgrade the bad boy and finding it Ethereal...

11. we3dling

we3dling IncGamers Member

I always thought the war pike was the highest damaging spear in the game?!

12. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Warpike has [20], Ghost has [0] base speed. So far I've seen 2*Botd ghost spears and not a single botd warpike, so i guess ghost is superior to warpike for botd, the people with those botd know what they're doing :)

13. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

The War Pike doesnt hit last bp thats all.

If your NL the next best things are RoboSpears. Its been a while since ive heard about them(prolly cause of the BotD dominance) but Basicly they are Etheral Spears or Polearms with 6 socs that you socket with ed/ias jewels and zod for it to hit the last BP. Ill give 2 examples:

Etheral War Pike
    1x shael
    4x 40/15 ias
    1x zod

Friend of mine had one and loved it damage iirc is 750+

Etheral Great Poleaxe or Ghost Spear
    4x 40/15 ias
    1x Ohm
    1x Zod

Alot of the BotD and other godly rune words talk comes because they are the best, but by no means the only. I never really considered prices when putting up the best layouts so from now own ill post with and without rune word set ups.

14. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I just think that most folks who make build suggestions assume the populace in general can run right out and nab an Enigma, or BoTD and slap it on their respective chars.

Me, I've made maybe 6 runewords since I started playing D2, and they are all 1.09's. I can't even think about making a BoTD, or an Enigma...I just don't have the time or patience for endless MF runs for items to trade, or the desire to search Ebay and actually pay cash for a virtual item.

I'm rather proud that all of my chars are rather successful and effective chars that can handle hell diff without the uber l33t runeswords of v1.10.

It'd be nice to see more guides/suggested builds that make use of what's more readily available to the average player.

of course....I won't be tossing away that 6 socket zerker axe and Hydra bow I have stashed away...lol. It's be nice, but at this point it's a pipe dream.

-X

15. tl998

tl998 Banned

For the people that are poor like us, all we need to do when asking for a guide is to not say "best" equipment but rather to say "affordable equipment that doesn't takes 10000 MF runs to find and won't leave me completely helpless in hell." You see, sometimes the people on this board forget not everyone has time to plsy D2 all day. Hell, Iv'enever even had a ViperFork, though I do have an eth Arioc's needle.

16. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

You dont need runewords

No one said you need runewords. The poster was just posting the "optimal" setup, as he sees it. I'm perfectly happy with my IK WWer, and he glows! If you don't have IK, that's fine too. Just be happy and don't worry about it.

Of course, if you want to be *kickbutt* and resents having to get the best equipment, I'm not sure what to say. The sad fact is that if you want maximum power, you have to have the best equipment. If you just want to have fun and beat up monsters, lesser equipment does just fine.

His guide is still fine without the equipment listing.

17. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Yes, a lot of posts assume everyone has a runes for BoTD. The highest rune I have is Um.
    Now I spent a lot of time working out the best WW weapon, focusing on spears.
    Any of the 3 elite unique spears are extremely good for WW :
    Arioc's Needle Viperfork Steel Pillar

They all do huge damage. Trouble is you have to get to level 69.
    Meanwhile all the exceptional and normal spears except for Lance do very low damage, way less than Polearms for example. It is only when you get to elite the damage jumps and they become worth using. So you might want to use a different weapon class until you can use elites. You might also find a good rare.

One exception is Hone Sundan. This IMHO is the best easily found spear in the game. It is usable at level 37. Has huge damage and very low requirements str/dex 101/0.
    You need to socket it with 3 shaels. This brings you to the max WW speed 8 hits per whirl which is awesome !
    There only 2 unique weapons in the whole game that can reach this speed: Hone Sundan, and Viperfork.
    You need the 3rd breakpoint, and range 5 to reach speed 8.

When you reach level 69 you can upgrade the Hone Sundan to elite. When upgraded it is superior to Viperfork. Just watch out when you upgrade it it switches from a Yari to a Ghost spear and you will need 163 dex to wield it.

An additional note an ethereal Hone Sundan is even better, since Hone Sundan has self repair, you get 50% more damage and lower requirements.

18. Turbo_piker195

Turbo_piker195 IncGamers Member

My spear barb is far cheaper than there builds although i salvate over the equip they suggest. But if ur poor here is a nice set up.

equipment:
    Spire of honor till u get to lvl 65 then have a high lvl friend or one of your own people find u a war pike then keep using gems to alter it till u get a cruel
    Ik boots
    Ik gloves
    Ik belt
    Ik helm (2 p saphs ull need the mana)
    Rings i use are a mandald heal ring and a ring of the wyrm
    ammy just a wyrm ammy

10 shout
    20 battle ordes
    20 ww
    20 spear mastry
    this is prolly on of the cheapest lancer builds you will find that are any good if ur rich then i would go with a steel pillar for a lancer wwnder ur not gonna need ne more than a steel pillar bec there are better weps than a war pike to invest botd in.

19. Krazy_Solo

Krazy_Solo IncGamers Member

So Viperfolk reaches the last bp without any socket jobs??? If so I'm one happy mofo on ladder as i got one awhile back :D...

20. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Yes it does

Mancatcher is -20 +50 ias =-70 which is past the -60 breakpoint