Spambots die now!

Underseer

Diabloii.Net Member
Spambots die now!

There's a [bad word] macro script someone rigged up to log into every game on the Realm (USEast). In each game, it logs in, spams an advertisement, then logs back out.

You can't play at all without having this idiotic thing popping in and out of your game over and over and over and... aaaarrrgh!

How unethical would it be to stage a DOS attack on the site using this tactic?

Vizier

Diabloii.Net Member
A DOS attack would only harm the rest of us on the same server. There's no way to find out the real culprit's private IP. I beg out of the ethics debate due to me less-than-objective opinions on this type of activity.

Last night I had two of these join a game, spill their guts, then leave. These were Baal runs and it was annoying not letting 8 characters play in the game, or at least 7. What I thought silly was each character logged in and said the same thing, each was from the same account, each had a similar name, and they joined 3 consecutrive games! I got my revenge back on one of them.. I simply clicked on the invite/cancel button as fast as I could and the victim dropped due to a timeout while the remaining one stayed logged-in and exited normally. It could have been chance but I'd like to think not.

Ultimately, since most of these adbots are very low level, just remember to keep level restrictions on the games you make. Block anything under level 10.

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
I was thinking Underseer meant to DOS the websites they were advertising, such as VRitems.com etc. Couldn't hurt.

spastik303

Diabloii.Net Member
Denial Of Service attack. DOS

Attacking a website through whatever technique, exploit or vulnerability you can, to make it unavailable for public viewing.

Kids, don't try this at home! :D

ericbres

Diabloii.Net Member
Just out of curiosity ...
Doesn't Blizz know this is happening?
Can't they do anything about it?
What about if some of us emailed Blizz with the account names of these creeps? Shouldn't they have the keys disabled?

I am in no way saying Blizz is sitting on their thumbs ... or that innocent people should have keys banned. Just trying to throw out some ideas ...

spastik303

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd be willing to wager that people who run bots do so on accounts that they've highjacked from someone through scamming....

They wouldn't risk their own precious keys for their evil endeavors.

I dont really know for certain, but if I were scum, that's what I'd do.

So ratting them out would only make another innocent victim suffer even more than they already have.

Just IMHO.

Starseed

Diabloii.Net Member
I just had four of them join a rescue cain game at once.. spam the screen at once (causing me to run around in circles 'cos I couldn't see the map), leave, two of them came back, spammed, left, another came back and did it.. good thing they don't deduct HP from running into walls, trees and things like that. :p

ZorgZ

Diabloii.Net Member
quick tip for some of you, pushing the 'n' key (default) clears any text on screen immediatly, letting you see again, if you wish to review what they said, its still left in the message logs.

Gorny

Banned
Starseed said:
I just had four of them join a rescue cain game at once.. spam the screen at once (causing me to run around in circles 'cos I couldn't see the map), leave, two of them came back, spammed, left, another came back and did it.. good thing they don't deduct HP from running into walls, trees and things like that. :p

Simple soultion people. Set level limits. Most of these spambots are low levels.

Vick_Mackey

Diabloii.Net Member
aragorn_elessar said:
Simple soultion people. Set level limits. Most of these spambots are low levels.
DOSing would be the ideal method to get rid of these scum of the earth, and if you really went after em with DOSing it would cost FAR too much in security for them to even consider selling items ^ ^ (I know of a very reputable website that after getting DDOSed now pays upwards of 30-40k per year for security to prevent further attacks)

Gorny

Banned
Vick_Mackey said:
DOSing would be the ideal method to get rid of these scum of the earth, and if you really went after em with DOSing it would cost FAR too much in security for them to even consider selling items ^ ^ (I know of a very reputable website that after getting DDOSed now pays upwards of 30-40k per year for security to prevent further attacks)

True, but would the average player on d2x know how to do a DOS attack ? I think not.

luuuucifer

Diabloii.Net Member
Just Curious, but are people actually buying from these sites?
One of my hobbies is to goto ebay and figure out that if I were to sell everything I own in D2, how much I would make. (It's still coming out to be a few cents per hour in terms of the # of hours I've put into it) I checked one of these sites out, and the prices were ridicious. It was something like $5 for a hel rune. a hel rune!

Azonian

Diabloii.Net Member
The dark side calls out to me

I have to come clean with my evil thoughts....I want to log onto their website...and open up a trillion windows on that server and the make requests upon it. After that...i want to find out where each of the people live that are affliated with taht site...and BEAT THE ****ING SNOT OUTTA THEM ALL WITH A RUSTY NAIL STUDDED spiked club of evisceration. No corpse to loot either...there..i feel better already

wedoz

Diabloii.Net Member
would that be possible? if you got enough people to go to one of those sites and all start making requests or something like that. would it crash them?

see how much comp stuff i know :D

Azonian

Diabloii.Net Member
wedoz said:
would that be possible? if you got enough people to go to one of those sites and all start making requests or something like that. would it crash them?

see how much comp stuff i know :D

Well, you suck up their bandwidth...so anyone that actually uses the site is gonna get a 0.1 kilbit dl speed...Heh

Qroft

Diabloii.Net Member
Azonian said:
i want to find out where each of the people live that are affliated with taht site
I know this was said tongue-in-cheek, but what the hell.

Well... how to do this without violating the no links rule.... er... The following dealers are (unless the person registering the site is a liar, in which case the registration can be revoked):

Team-VIP is owned by Rubio Chen whose address is 354 57th 2nd floor Brooklyn, NY 11220. His phone is (347)680-1001. IP Address: 69.57.175.61. His email address is on the same website so I won't give that out. You can probably get it by going to the site in the spam and looking for it.

WeID2 is owned by Lie Wee Siang
No: 10 jalan selating
singapore, singapore 598373
SG
Email him at [email protected].
IP Address: 66.246.108.156

diablo-items is run out of Frankfurt, Germany. The contact info for the server is:
TechHandle: ZX3-ARIN
TechName: Netmaster KPN Eurorings BV
TechPhone: +49 69 96874 270
IP Address: 192.67.198.56
but there are over 10,000 websites being run off the server so I doubt that will get you anyone responsible for the spam itself.

Those are the only three I have screenshots of, are there any other companies out there?

Finally, I would just like to recommend that any attempt to contact these people/companies should be done in a manner that complies with the law and, if possible, common courtesy. These people are offensive and obnoxious. Don't give up the moral high ground or give them any grounds to claim they are "victims".

Note: All information here is in the public domain. No one's privacy has been violated.