Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Spain won't let me model!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Sep 17, 2006.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Spain won't let me model!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060916/ap_en_ot/spain_skinny_models

Basically the models have a BMI under the healthy range and won't let them appear in shows. I have to say good jorb to whoever finally said, "Pointy knees aren't attractive and it is unhealthy to have them." I still don't think I could break 120lb if I wanted to though, I lift and get good cardio and eat more than you would think possible, still no weight.

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Down with Paris. bring on Kirstie Alley!

3. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

That show definately made the right call. Enough of these stick people - in all honesty, who finds people that look like walking skeletons attractive anyway? I've always preferred women who actually have some meat on their bones. There's a difference between taking care of yourself and wasting yourself away purposefully.

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, I heard about this a little while ago. Just stupid.

Let the designers use whatever models they want.

5. skihard

skihard Banned

let the designers use a build closer to the average womens shape is my thought, this is not attractive at all

6. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Good for Spain. Skeletor sucks.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I like skinny women.

8. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

I always knew you were smart, but I had no idea you had a taste as well.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I object to this being done by decree. If designers want to use rakes to model their clothes, that's their affair.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

But is it ethically ok to force the models to be rakes? Being that skinny unnaturally is unhealthy.

11. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

fatties are banned too, right?

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

No-one is forcing them.

13. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

It's like laws which ban smoking in restauraunts; while the majority of people dislike smoking around them, it should be up to the establishment whether to allow it or not. Simmilarly, while most people think the "heroin chic" look (including the malnurished-looking fat levels) to be unnattractive and a poor choice of model, it should be up to the designers to decide what models to use. While this was not a government decision, which makes it less reprehensible, it IS a major influence to the fashon industry, and should weigh (no pun intended) its decisions more carefully.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Let's not bring the smoking in bars debate into this, one thing at a time.

15. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Thank you, I tend to keep that a secret. :ziplip:

16. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

The industry self regulated the use of 'fatties' out years ago.

Does anyone here find it a bit disturbing that people are claiming women with a BMI of over 18.5 are fatties?

"I like skinny girls" - If a girl with a BMI of 18.5 is not skinny enough for you then I really don't know what to say.

This law does not promote the use of average women, or even slim women - it still allows for the use of extreemely thin women, but not so thin that most women would be considered to be seriously malnourished and in need of medical attention.

I know several women who briefly went into modeling, all stunning tall thin leggy girls. They all quit within a couple of months as their agencies and designers were demanding they lose ever more weight even when their ribcages were showing.

What you don't see in fashion photos is the caved in thighs, the ribcages and gaunt drawn faces of many of these women as it is all hidden by makeup, lighting and airbrushing. In the flesh it aint so nice to look at.

This is not to say there are not women out there who are naturally very small, but the problem is you ahve a woman who is naturally VERY thin, ok - thats healthy as it is their natural build - but then they get told to lose another few pounds.

I'm not sure why designers go for rake thin women with the figures of 13-14 year old girls. I personally suspect they are too lazy to design something that looks good on a woman with boobs and bum (even a model with a figure of say Kelly Brook would be considered 'fat' by fashion industry standards) as it is much easier to design something that hangs well on a coathanger.

17. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

You're on to something. I agree that a good portion of those clothes would not look that great on a girl with some T&A. Probably why you never see those designs.

I've known a few models as well, I still kick myself for the questions I could have asked had I been more enlightened on the situation.

18. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

So employers should be able to hire whomever they choose, yes?

19. frish

frish IncGamers Member

well, why not? it's still their money, so they have all the rights to hire whoever they want... <= this is not my opinion!

did you know:
    naomi campbell is 1.77 meters, weighs 51 kilos...
    => BMI 16
    anorexic or what?? now that's really got to hurt!

20. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

Only if you give her a hug and the bones poke into you.

Seriously - can you imagine sitting on the sofa with a gf with a BMI of 16 and putting your arm around their shoulder and feeling all the bones poking into your arms, side and feeling your hand holding nothing but skin and clavicle?

Can you imagine making out with someone with that figure and moving your hands down their back feeling each and every rib and verterbre before holding her bum to find your hands full of nothing more than hip-bones?

I once went out with a girl who was 5'5 and 50kg (BMI=~18.3) and was always shocked about how thin she was and got jitters when I could feel bones pressing against me (And she was a naturally thin person who ate healthily) I can't even begin to think what it would have been like if she had been as skinny as naomi.