Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SP restart: some advice please

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by heretik, Jul 9, 2015.

1. heretik

heretik IncGamers Member

Hello again,

I only ever really played closed bnet ladder after 1.10. I've spent some time in SP with 1.13c but didn't enjoy it much. Mainly because I never managed to tackle hell with my first char, a sorc, even after getting the most out of meph in NM. I always thought it would be great to go to a place without those for-ever-out-of-reach rune words and builds that necessitate Annihilus or a torch. I love D2 but I'm not a hardcore gamer... I play 2h a day at most these days.

So I'm thinking 1.09d. Is there a good reason to go to an earlier patch besides builds that came and went?

Also there was this amazing self found MF gear guide that someone made that got me started in SP in the first place because I simply didn't know when and where to pick up the gear for later MF runs playing self found. I wonder if it is viable in 1.09 and if someone could link it.

Any other advice is welcome!

2. Turbocannon

Turbocannon IncGamers Member

One consideration is that somewhere within the 1.13 patch series, rune drops were made many times as common as before. It's now much easier to find high runes in Lower Kurast and other high-end places, most runes now drop from the Ral-Sol range (or so) instead of El-Tir, and it's not even particularly rare to see a Gul drop during a normal Hell playthrough.

3. heretik

heretik IncGamers Member

I still couldn't tackle hell with my single element MF sorc and gear from NM meph... :/ is it me playing wrong? I know there's ppl who beat the game naked...

I hate it that a single element sorc can't beat the game solo without a merc and that RW... Dual element had too low dmg in hell and made less sense for MF runs. I guess it's gonna be fireball/orb. I need to decide on which sorc to play first...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  4. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

Ye, you're probably doing it wrong,especially with single-element sorc.

No idea about 1.09, but HRs will be always out of reach, because from 1:100,000,000 to 1:1,000,000 the changemight be hugh, but the % is still negligable.

What you actually need is a DUEL ELEMENT sorc for 1.13: fireball + frozen orb. It can easily be done with NM Meph gear. Heck, with some proper planning you can have unlimited mana if you want.

Suggested gear for 1.13:
    helm: Lore (ort/Sol), or more +skills (gamble circlets)
    armor: Smoke (Nef/Lum) for resist, or whatever
    weapon: fcr/+skill orbs or Memory (Lum/io/Sol/eth)
    ring: fcr/resist rare
    belt: nightsmoke or lenymo
    amulet: fcr/+skill/resist rare
    gloves: magefist/frostburn
    boots: silkwave, or resist

If you collect resist, fcr and manaregeneration (or pure mana) this is unstoppable aside double immuns.

5. heretik

heretik IncGamers Member

Alright I'll give it another shot... I must've been lazy because I had better gear than what you mentioned... They just didn't seem to drop...

Now if anyone knows where this guide to self finding MF gear is that'd be great!

6. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

HRs are totally within reach. I never found anything > pul pre-1.13 in the years I played on and off, but as soon as 1.13 came out I found gul (in nm) and continued to find ohm, vex, etc. in the coming months of regular playing. mal, gul and sur feel especially common in 1.13.

In 1.07 which is considerably harder for finding runes, I found ber, 5x Lo, 3x Gul, and many um runes in a year of playing a considerable amount (~1-1.5 hr per day avg).

In 1.13d I've deeded a few enigmas without batting an eye ;) and it's not like I play an insane amount.

7. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

pharphis likes this.
  8. heretik

heretik IncGamers Member

That's it thanks a lot!

You guys are probably right I'm not gonna make it any easier on myself going back to 1.09. It'll be 1.13.

I'm gonna look for a fb/orb guide.

9. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

FB/Orb is viable for sure, but so is pure Blizz sorc.

I made one as a second char with next to no equip. All you need to do once you reach Hell is to get to Act 2 Ancient Tunnels. Every item in the game can drop there, and there's no native cold immunes. Great place to gather some basic items, mf items and every once in a while a really rare item also may drop.

Some may prefer to MF Hell Mephisto first for the common basics but it's not necessity. If you feel the need to MF Mephisto, dual element Sorc may indeed be easier choice to reach Act 3 and Mephisto.

10. pharphis

As for tackling hell, I'd say pick an area you like to run and run it to gain some levels to have a stronger char + merc and likely gear improvement. Tacking areas with lots of immunes requires some patience. You might want to skip most areas that give you too much trouble or put them off until later. Ofc, there's always the option of running multiple instances for the tough quests if you have another char that can better handle some areas (council, ancient's, CS, Anya, baal...)

I've never gone dual immune and it's always worked out fine for me. Patient play + careful teleporting and potting to keep the merc alive and well is needed in hell until you get enough gear that makes mercs able to handle all but the toughest enemies.

11. twillight

Once Hell is beaten of course you can respec back to Blizzard or Meteor sorc for turning into a pure MF-character, but until that stick with FO/FB. That is the most begginer-friendly build.

12. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I'd really endorse this. Make a sorc build you think you will enjoy playing. Find the loot place that makes you happy, and if you dont feel bad about it, respec for optimal build in that area.

Some people just like different aspects of the game, but if you want to acquire loot, youre gonna be repeating that task a lot. So make sure its one you enjoy.

13. heretik

heretik IncGamers Member

My other problem was that I couldn't keep my merc alive and would eventually just run out of money resurrecting him. You don't find items in NM that make him survive long enough. At least I couldn't...

14. twillight

With sorc you don't "keep the mec alive by its equipment". You keep alive the merc by teleporting it out of danger.

The merc for a sorc from nightmare does one thing: grab an Insight polearm and regenerate your mana.

pharphis likes this.
  15. heretik

heretik IncGamers Member

Right! I see I gotta work on my micromanagement...

I never enjoyed sorc much with the exception of pure fire. I need her only to be strong enough to run an area where anything can drop over and over... After that I'll make my fav build ever. A low budget strafe Amazon :D

Which is the first area that makes sense running for drops/exp in hell?

16. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Pit in Act 1, fb/orb could work there ok, Mausoleum is also alvl 85, aka anything can drop. It has nothing but lightning immunes iirc

Ancient Tunnels in Act 2 is next place, and cold sorcs shine there. (all you need to do to get here is tele straight to Andariel and kill her, then tele to Lost City and start rolling maps for a Ancient Tunnel spawning next to the way point)

17. pharphis

MY go-to for sorcs is lvl to ~70 from pindle in NM, then get to AT as fast as possible (you really don't need to be above lvl 70 for this if you have some fcr and play relatively carefully) and then run that until 80 (<100 runs?) and keep going until you ant to do something else (lvl 90 takes less than 500 runs I suspect, on p3). as Mentioned tele + pots is how mercs are kept alive (mostly tele), but once they reach 85+ they should feel much sturdier due to more life and typically just having better gear by then, cth, etc.

Insight is mandatory (imo) and a prayer merc is best so that you don't feel the need to top off your life (or mana) at all outside of emergency pots. If you don't use insight, then probably holy freeze is best just so your merc is sturdier.

18. heretik

heretik IncGamers Member

Why run pindle on NM to level up and not Baal?

Also regarding p2-8 and MF on hell: stay at p3?

19. pharphis

NM baal is much riskier. You get guest monsters in NM and at least from a HC perspective I've never enjoyed it. Pindle is perfectly easy (like eldritch, but exp dies down in low 60s there). If you're geared super well then NM baal might be better, or it might be better simply if you're in SC and can risk 1-2 deaths... but pindle is plenty quick anyway.

I like p3 as a good balance, generally, because I like exp a lot and I feel at least with blizz sorcs in AT that the run times isn't significantly slower but ofc you'll get more runes and exp. p1 is best if you're looking specifically for TC87s which are best found from unique monsters in alvl 85 areas.

For single player games, the drop thresholds are at p1, p3, p5 and p7. the only difference is difficulty of monsters + exp gained for p1-p2, p3-p4, p5-p6 and p7-p8.

For most act bosses, p3 is best in terms of drop efficiency (items per min), and p1 is best for unique monsters such as pindle (always 2 items + 4 pots), puke cloud (1 item + 4 pots), etc.

20. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

There's a meteorb build out there that works well too. Pretty much any combination of fire and ice, with a decent understanding of teleport, can clear the game. As far as player settings go, dont feel bad if you have to go p1 the whole way through Hell.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015