Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SP: Beast runeword with Skellimancer?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by FinalGodSlayer, Mar 3, 2004.

1. FinalGodSlayer

FinalGodSlayer IncGamers Member

SP: Beast runeword with Skellimancer?

Hiya,

I'm playing in single player.

I have a skellimancer, with a might merc, who currently has a Hand of Justice runeword weapon (this gives him the additional Lvl 16 Holy Fire Aura).

I currently have an Ume's Lament on my necro. I'm wondering if instead I should socket up a hand weapon with the Beast runeword, which would give a level 9 Fanaticism aura to the zoo as well. At the moment I have the runes but not the weapon - so while I'm looking for one I thought I'd get peoples opinions of whether the extra aura would be better than 2 skill points - I think it probably would?

I'm running with 10 skellies, 3 mages, 12 revives and the merc; I would lose 2 or 3 in total from dropping the skill points. At the moment I hardly ever go up to 12 revives on screen as they crowd my merc away from his targets, so I wouldn't miss the odd one or two...

Edit: spelling :spy:

2. Moridin

Moridin IncGamers Member

Put Beast on your merc :D. I'm amazed that you could fine those runes on SP...congrats. I'd rather have more skeles with Ume's than a Holy Fire aura, so I'd just stick it on your merc.

3. SphynxCG

SphynxCG IncGamers Member

Beast can only be made in axes, hammers, and scepters so it will not be going on an act2 merc any time soon.

I have not had a Beast runeword myself (although it is one of my goals) but I have been told by theKbob that it the aura is certainly worth the loss of a few skeletons. Simply summon them with your +summons gear and then switch to your beast.

I recommed a cadaceus as it is elite (for high trade value), one handed, and has 97 str requirement (same as skullders I believe).

Oh wait nevermind this is SP. Just make it in something with a lower str req then as you wont be hitting anything.

4. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

Beast is very good, but I don't think I'd say best, in most cases, for a skelemancer. The main reason being, I'm not sure wether your Fanata aura grants the whole enhanced damage bonus or the partial.

If you know the fanata aura you know it grants the character with the arua a much larger bonus than than those under it's influence.

Another factor here, though is play style. With a few gear twinks you'll be able to deal some good damage even in Hell difficulty. Could be fun for ya.

Lastly, but of small concern to me really, is the small radius of the aura. You have to be relatively close to your minions sometimes to get the aura workin'.

Someone could run the numbers to see exactly what would be better overall, but in your particular case beast is probrably better than ume's. A leoric or a good white however might outpace Beast, though.

5. Har-Megiddo

Har-Megiddo IncGamers Member

I built an overlord with Arm and a Commando Mancer with Beast and I think the Commando Mancer is far and away better. Combine teleport with multiple auras and your skeles/merc/golem/bear and you are great at ripping groups to shreds. My overlord is much slower to kill.

6. khiamal

khiamal IncGamers Member

+ skills

Just a quick question - will a "Beast" runeword scepter made with +fanaticism already on it gain the additional bonus?

7. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

For a palidin I think it would. For a necro though, no, becasue of the (palidin only) thing on scepters and such.

8. Jak

Jak IncGamers Member

No, even on a Paladin it wouldn't. Because the Beast runeword states:

Level XX Fanatacism Aura when equipped

instead of:

+ XX to Fanatacism

Only stuff that say +XX benefit from +skills. Fixed level auras do not.

9. FinalGodSlayer

FinalGodSlayer IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, will let you know how I find it once I find an axe with the correct number of sockets. Am also trying my merc with bramble armour to replace his current enigma set, although he does a lot less damage with this on.

WRT Moridin's comment about having good luck on SP to find all those runes, well on SP Runes are the one area where I choose to bend the rules :bonk:- I only get to play for 30 mins to an hour a day so it's unlikely I will ever find anything over an Ist :scratch:

I still have to seach for all the other eq, so strangely it becomes more of an issue finding socketed, set and unique items. I'm actually feeling sadly drawn to the grail quest, although I suspect that may be the beginning of the end for my sanity! :teeth: