Southern Pride

SirKnightmare said:
I don't understand it, why are people so proud to be from the south?
Why are people so proud to be from New York? Why are people so proud to be from the West Coast? Why are people so proud to be from Boston? Why are...etc, etc, ad infinitum ad nauseum.
 

SirKnightmare

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Why are people so proud to be from New York? Why are people so proud to be from the West Coast? Why are people so proud to be from Boston? Why are...etc, etc, ad infinitum ad nauseum.
I simply asked a question, no reason to be a smart guy.

People who I have met from the South or who have simply lived there for a few years make a huge deal about it. I'm just curious what is so great about it.
 

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm very embarassed to be from the south for many reasons. But, if we're looking at generalities, I do believe we have our redeeming factors. I take solace in the fact that we're better mannered than most other groups. We're traditional in many senses--not just when it comes to manners. We're relaxed, and believe in savoring certain trappings of life. There are still very few things that will make me happier than a glass of sweet tea.
 
SirKnightmare said:
I simply asked a question, no reason to be a smart guy.
...

People are equally proud of where they're from, in my experience, no matter where they're from, at least for the most part. California, New York, and Boston are the ones that stand out in my mind. "Yeah, but nothing compares to New York!" "Boston rules man, I wish I could be back there, it's so much better than anywhere else." "Like, ohmigod, Cali is so totally cool, I just, like, miss it because people here are so...like, different!"

Sorry I offended you. To me people from the places I listed, and many more, are equally overly-proud of where they're from, as though we should all be impressed and look up to them because they grew up in Queens or Newton.
 

Johnny

Banned
The south is just another peice of the Devided States of America that see themselves as thier own little country.
 

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
SirKnightmare said:
I don't understand it, why are people so proud to be from the south?
because you touch yourself at night.


Geronimo said it best, "this is my land I will not rest until I'm dead or it's been freed".
The south is better because the people are friendlier and they aren't a bunch of hippies like they are in the north. And Texas owns you.
 

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
Johnny said:
The south is just another peice of the Devided States of America that see themselves as thier own little country.
Honestly... what do you know about the south? Have you ever lived there?

I've lived in Texas, Saudi Arabia, and The middle of the deep forests of Georgia. About as deep south as you can get. I've been to over 20 countries, and met just about every type of person. No place on earth compares to Texas... But then again thats probably because I'm a WASP
 

Angel_Dusted

Diabloii.Net Member
nnndave said:
because you touch yourself at night.


Geronimo said it best, "this is my land I will not rest until I'm dead or it's been freed".
The south is better because the people are friendlier and they aren't a bunch of hippies like they are in the north. And Texas owns you.
Generalities. Lovely. I wouldn't offend the hippies though, they'll probably stage a protest against Texas "owning" them...
 
nnndave said:
Honestly... what do you know about the south? Have you ever lived there?

I've lived in Texas, Saudi Arabia, and The middle of the deep forests of Georgia. About as deep south as you can get. I've been to over 20 countries, and met just about every type of person. No place on earth compares to Texas... But then again thats probably because I'm a WASP
Meh, don't let him get to you. He's about as informed about the US as I am about Sweden, but it doesn't stop him from spouting derrogatory comments about it left, right and center.
 

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
A more serious answer as to why many (white) southerners have so much southern pride is because they come from an ancestery of civil war veterans, which has a pride that has instilled through thier generations. Starting with virginia, each citizen of each state swore loyalty to thier state before the confederacy.

The south has more civil war ancestery than the north because A) the north has more immigrants B) People move around a lot more in the north C) Family wealth generaly didn't come from the land itself, not giving a sense of connection to it. D) because they south lost and thier ancestors died in vain, and since they have no formal recognition of thier sacrifice they live it through thier pride.

Its not that pride = civil war vengance. Not at all, its just the connection you get from a southern raising.

People who love thier state love not only thier community, but the very land itself.
 

DemBonez

Diabloii.Net Member
Whenever I see a "Don't Mess With Texas" bumper sticker, I just think idiot.


There is definately a different sense of pride from the south than the north. It's true people associate themselves by their respective cities (or sports franchises :cringe: ) here, but I've never heard of someone with "northern pride."
 

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
I live in Tennessee currently, and I see it as a way for everyone local to be part of something.

THe south has their faults as well, like any other part of the country. Like other areas, there are some steriotypical views about it. I have traveled quite a bit in the south, and I note alot of them are not true, (well, in some area's, the sound of a banjo is the last straw to drive any non-native away really fast screaming and holding there rear.). not all southerners are inbreds, as not all Northeners are stuck up. Just ignorance of the others culture, which points at the accusser as wrong.
 

Johnny

Banned
DemBonez said:
There is definately a different sense of pride from the south than the north. It's true people associate themselves by their respective cities (or sports franchises :cringe: ) here, but I've never heard of someone with "northern pride."

When the north won the war they kind of spread all over the country while the south spent the next hundred or so years comforting eachother and trying to maintain themselves as thier own "region" as a way to say "You didnt really beat us" While the rest of the country that doesnt consider themselves "The south" go "what are you doing there south? The war has been over for over a century so why do you still wave that flag like its not?"
 

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with Dave that Texas > t3h everything

But I think ole Hank Williams Junior has the answer:

'Cause you can't stomp us out and you can't make us run,
and we're them ole boys raised on shotguns.
We say grace, we say mam,
if you aint into that we don't give a damn.
I think it all boils down to manners. When I travel up north, and I say sir or ma'am, it just blows peoples minds.

The Confederate flag is another thing. We have a symbol that lets people know where we're from. It's about heritage, not hate, so don't even throw that crap out there.

Also, Dr Pepper is from the South. It used to piss me off when I couldn't get any in New York.
 
Top