South Park and Diablo 2

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
I know I can't be the first person to notice this, but I got home and flipped on Comedy Central, which was playing South Park, and noticed they did a shoutout to D2. The episode where Kenny's house gets raided by the police and the "I'm White Trash and I'm in Trouble" show, they are pulling the family out of the house and separating the parents and kids. A few people pour out into the streets, including Cartman taping the event on his phone, stating "What? Poor people being arrested? What a rare occurance!" sarcastically. But a random character, a guy with blonde hair, comes out with a shirt on that is basically the exact cover of D2, without spelling the words out clearly, probably trademark reasons.

Has anyone already noticed this? Is this a well known thing in the Diablo 2 community lol? I've been around it for almost 20 years, even have seen the episode a million times and at least once in the last few months, and have never noticed it or heard about it. It is an episode from 2011, so it's not like it came out in the D2 heyday or anywhere around when it first came out. It made my evening lol.

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
@MizzouFTW Thank you! My mind was literally blown! It is one of my favorite episodes as well. I love the agnostic pov, cps and poverty policing reference, Cartman's poor mama jokes and the PSU references, which if I recall correctly, where way too soon.

So I bet I've seen it in the 10-20 range, but never caught the shirt. I guess it's hard not to be fixated on Cartman, making one of the best jokes of the episode.

I rewound it and watched it several times, pulled out a D2 guide that came in maybe the boxset and sure enough, it was literally the same exact image, shape, size and even wording, albeit the words were blurry.

I wonder what made them want to shoutout to D2 in the later years of 2011? Did they play D2? Was it just a joke at the expense of someone they knew who played? Was it complete randomness over a game that they knew about? It seems like it would have to have some meaning behind choosing to pick a game, well over a decade old at that point, to put clearly on the shirt of a random street character. And as obvious as it sticks out now, I can't believe I didn't notice and that so many other D2/South Park fans (I assume a lot of D2 fans, are also SP fans) didn't notice. I feel like I discovered some ancient Biblical artifacts. I didn't search online to see who all, and how many, people had also noticed it. I didn't want to feel like I was an idiot, way behind the times, so I came here to ask... where people arent' pricks.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
heh, I never noticed this either and have seen the episode a few times. I remember when the episode was new.

Best way to find out more is to find some way to ask the writers. Not sure how often they do Q&As, these days, or conventions.

Thanks for reminding me to watch the latest season!

atomicpunk

Diabloii.Net Member
I wonder what made them want to shoutout to D2 in the later years of 2011?
2010 the Diablo II Battlechest was listed as the tenth best selling pc game by the National Purchase Diary and in 2010 there were still 11 million people play D2 and SC BW on bnet.

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
2010 the Diablo II Battlechest was listed as the tenth best selling pc game by the National Purchase Diary and in 2010 there were still 11 million people play D2 and SC BW on bnet.
Oh, I know. I was a part of the crowd for many years. I just wondered what was the trigger for the shirt at that particular time. Like was someone high on the show a big player at the time? Did they just discover the joys of the game? My D3 time was short and boring, so I'm not sure if it was around that time and maybe that was why. I understand the game has always been wildly popular, I just was wondering what made them bust it out at that particular point of time, of all times.

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
One of the rogues being called Kyle, the game opens up for reenactments of many epic scenes. The most crucial problem to solve before undertaking such an ordeal would of course be to dtermine who is Cartman. My vote would be for Gheed who has a wagon and therefore is close to a cart man, and is also as mean as he is lazy.

D-d-d-Diablo
Tee-dee-tee-Diablo
Gheed: Yeeey!
The evil hateful Diablo
From a dimension far below
Kick the gates of heaven and into you heart
Turning normal to nightmares
Gheed: Lick my coins!
Destroying all he sees
Gheed: Now begins a new adventure for meeee!
You and the dark one Diablo
Sharing adventures and smiles
It's a magical bond two pals can share
Soon the whole world will be made aware
Of you and the deathlord Diablo
Making the world a better place
Together you will have so much fun
Gheed: Sending all the stupid rogues to oblivion.
You and the dark lord Diablo
Gheed: Sucking witches!*

Like Kyles mother.

SheilaKashya: WHAT-WHAT-WHAT?!

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
The original song appears in the Coon vs Coon and friends episodes, when BP oil has delved deep and woken Cthulu who becomes Cartmans hireling:
Cartman and Cthulu

Last edited:

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
@maxicek did you mean my post about the Diablo reference on South Park, or as far as not digging into the inappropriate and controversial material that South Park often brings to the table lol? I'm not 100% sure if you were meaning the discovery I made being not appropriate or of you meant the leading into other South Park plots and moments.

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
EDIT:

Double Post, due to my awful internet lol. Must find out if Matt and Trey played D2....

Last edited: