Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sound problems

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by krischan, Sep 1, 2006.

1. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Sound problems

I have a problem with sound. I just installed another 512M or RAM, for a total of 1Gig. I ran an extensive memory test and everything is fine with it. However, when playing Diablo and multiple sound effects have to be played, only half of them can be heard. After one of the tests, WinAmp hang and I had to kill the process in order make the system run again.

During one of my tests, the whole computer came to a halt, with the last sound being played again and again, and I had to switch off the computer.

When I play e.g. an mp3 file with WinAmp before starting Diablo, everything seems to be fine, but when I do it after that, there are "hickups", i.e. a second of the music is skipped from time to time.

Both speakers produce sound, so it's not a cable problem. I guess it's something with the game, with the sound card or the driver.

I have a AS Rock K7S8X or K7S8XE mainboard with builtin sound card (C-Media AC97). I already reinstalled the driver for the sound card. I'm runing good old Win98 SE.

BTW, during my tests I found a 5% BK ring, so I'm not complaining so far :grin:

If you need more information, please let me know.

2. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

This fellow had a similar problem with his winamp. Don’t know if it’s the latest winamp / windows 98 compatibility. Try everything you did with windows media player / LOD. Read my answers in the link.

3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I could be way off base and I don't know if it related to your problem, but ...
    I have a dual boot computer. XP on one HD and ME on the second drive.

Now pre-XP has issues with large amounts of memory and when I installed my extra memory (2 gig) the system fell over. I fooled ME into thinking it has 512mb and it is fine. XP uses the whole 2gig.

Just a thought.

4. krischan

Thanks for the link, but I don't actually have a problem with WinAmp, I have a problem with Diablo. WinAmp runs fine before I start Diablo.

Another symptom is that TCP/IP connections tend to break after playing Diablo. For example, in one case MSN told be that the connection broke down.

Hmm, perhaps it's a problem with the power supply, but I guess if that's the case, the whole computer would crash...

BTW, upgrading to the latest BIOS version didn't help. I'm currently downloading the latest drivers for all motherboard components (AGP driver, sound, ethernet, USB), although they are older than my computer. But who knows which crap versions were included when I bought the computer...
    Yes, I had that idea as well. However, I have another computer with WinME on which Diablo runs just fine with 1 Gig. Anyway, I will remove 256M and see what happens...

5. krischan

That was the key ! Thanks a lot ! :thumbsup:

In C:\Windows\system.ini, in the VCache section you have to set an entry MaxFileCache=524288, so it looks like this:

[VCache]
    MaxFileCache=524288

Normally the VCache section doesn't have any settings at all.

Link with an explanation: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic368.html

I'm happy :cloud9:

Consider yourself as being freed of any forum taxes... except where Gorny and Dredd are mods, of course.

6. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Glad to help.

7. krischan

That extra RAM seems to have an influence on my item finding luck. In addition to the 5% BK ring, Diablo walked the earth and dropped a 14/20/9 Annihilus, one hour ago, and two minutes ago, Baal dropped a 28% Mara's :laugh:

8. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I can see it now. Someone with poor reading comprehension will scan that post, accept it as gospel, spread it all over the D2 community and the next thing you know, it will be "the next big myth" - ranking right up there with perming runes and repairing the hellforge hammer.

Yeah, soon I'll be locking "1337 Ã2 ®4nn §+1©]<? -4- VV0VV ]<3Â¥!!!!!!!" threads. Thanks krischan! :grrrr:

9. krischan

Those with a lack of common sense will be completely lost about many other things here, so don't worry too much about this one :laugh:

10. §Hex Vex§

§Hex Vex§ IncGamers Member

I can vouch for that...:shocked: