Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorry for doing this again :)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by WackenOpenAir, Apr 7, 2004.

1. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

Sorry for doing this again :)

I am gonna build a MF sorc, with the ONLY goal to beat mephi.

I play hardcore ladder, so she must survive. My last sorc was very good at surviving, but i used the weapon tab for MF while using the moat trick. This got het down to -35 resist all. One mistake by standing too close to mephi and he killed me in one cold ball attack
    sorc used mosers + wizzy with rhyme gull on weapon tab.

So my next sorc is not gonna use a weapon tab like that. Since i need MF though AND safety, i am planning to build her as follows:
    Tals armor, belt, amu, shako, SS, wizzy. Maybe i will someday use a weapon tab with gul if i can max resists with the shield that comes in place of SS.

Anyway: this equipment means i will have only 4 to all skills.

I am now in doubt between blizzard and FO (thats why i said sorry for doing this again)

matters of doubt:

I would like to stop using the moat trick now. But taking weapons on and off a merc is not too handy either. (Last sorc did not use a merc)

-Is my sorc able to tank mephi herself and be completely safe? (max block, 1000 life, maxTK-1ES, possibly ravenfrost) This would mean i'd use blizzard.

-What is needed to make a merc survive mephi 99% of my runs if i want him to tank. Can he actually even survive 99% sure? Can he survive without weapon at all? (meaning no leech) This would mean FO.

-how do the damages compare with only 4 to all skills, not using moat trick but tanking meph instead, and only 1 synergy maxed?

I suppose the FO damage will be better if i can only have 1 synergy for blizzard and mephi moving little or not at all, but i dont feel like resurecting my merc regulaly, so if he cant tank her (and i can) blizzard might still be a better option for me.

So my options are:

Blizzard-Tank myself, use no merc.
    FO-Use merc to tank, preferably without weapon.
    Blizzard-Moat trick, no merc. (but getting meph to moat takes valuable seconds)
    Blizzard-Use merc to tank, preferably without weapon.

I would like your oppinions. Oppinions about merc or sorc survivablity are always good of course.
    Oppinions about blizzard vs FO please only if you tried both. (and both with roughly equal equipment)

2. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

This is what I don't get. You switch to Rhyme - Gull when you start attacking Meph? You only need to switch to the MF gear when you've almost killed Meph. This would give Meph no chance to cast his Orb since he'd be dead a second later. And in the time you need to kill him you can also re-position yourself so that he can't attack you.

During my time with my first sorc (Blizzard) I've never died to Meph ever. She's a non-blocking low vita sorc and she just never died. On the way to Meph she died occasionally, but never @ Meph's hand.

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

sorry to hear about your sorc. i think if one iceball killed you, probably the council boss or the ghoul lord boss had conviction.

regarding build options: blizz, moat trick, no merc. tanking meph with a merc is risky because he randomly attacks you or the merc.

no merc, as he may set off the other packs in the area, not just meph.

i dunno why you have any doubt about the moat trick vs tanking. the moat trick is infinitely safer.

blizz vs orb: tough call here, as the range is a big issue. the only argument for FO i can think of less skill points used, and more effective with less skill points.

if you go with moat trick, it would have to be blizzard.

4. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

About the way i died:

I have my skill set for the 2 weapon tabs, the safety weapon tab has the teleport skill, the MF tab has the blizzard skill. This way, i could not make the mistake to teleport with the MF gear. It went ok for 400 runs, but last night i guess a was a bit sleepy and sloppy or something.
    I was not conviction enchanted, but it came as 2 attacks at once, he first casted the little lightning thingies that travel slow, they arent very dangerous, so i thought i'd be safe if i'd just step back a bit, but just before i stepped back far enough, he casted the cold ball.
    I had been hit by it with the MF tab before, and always survived it though it takes like 800 life (at -35 resist). This time, both attacks reached me simultaniously and i died instantly, I did hit rejuv, but it did not matter. Being a bit sleepy + not thinking it can kill you in 1 hit + being bussy casting blizzard made me to slow to dodge it either.

About the skills: yes i know moat is safer, but if i dont go with swiches anyway, and i might also use a ravenfrost permanently, i thought i might just as well stop doing the moat trick for some extra speed. Thats why i ask all these questions. I just hate it when mephi gets stuck and doesnt follow you to the moat. Also is FO faster by itself because i will only be able to max 1 synergy.

5. Jpech01

Jpech01 Banned

I got a meteor sorc that can take meph in 20 sec's (or less) naked. If I were you, I'd go for a meteor sorc. Meph has high cold resists but low fire resists. Since that is your only goal you don't need to worry.

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i would try to increase speed through more damage rather than abandoning the moat trick.

7. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Not true. Mephisto Hell has 75% res all, making your Meteor do only one quarter of it's listed damage, while a Cold Sorc with lvl12 or higher CM will do at least her listed damage. The 20 seconds however sound very reasonable to me, my Meteor Sorcy needs exactly 30 Meteors, i.e. 36 seconds to dispatch him in a 2-player game (BO/Looter Barb in there), so it would be 18 seconds in a 1-Player game. This is with lvl24 Meteor, lvl24 FM and 20FBall synergy.

Anyway, I'd go Blizzy, no Merc, Moat. Luring him there takes 5 seconds at most which is irrelevant compared to finding Durance3 (i assume no MH) and you could go for Occy/Rhyme Switch for example, still nice resists and infinitely safer.