Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorks without Insight?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by MYK, May 2, 2008.

1. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Sorks without Insight?

What? So, I made an TK/Light sork. She's great. Runs keys, kills superuniques, is fun in Baal runs.

The problem? Her merc sucks. Unless he's got BO he doesn't really tank very well. And I'm tired of the little cloud aura having to be around full time.

The Fix: I'd love to put Reapers Toll toll on him. I consider it a nice polearm, and makes most mercenaries into tank/killers.

Obstacles:

1. I'm running an ES/TK build, and my teleport cost isn't low due to TK + Light synergies eating up my skill points. So stuff that hits my ES drains my mana pretty quick and since there's no supermega mana regeneration going on my mana ball hits the bottom pretty fast and I get stuck in packs.

2. Lightning eats the mana pretty good. I know, drink the mana juice. Easy enough.

~If anyone has any non-Insight/Max teleport experience please chime in and help me out, please!:tongue:

Thanks,

~Myk

Side note: GambitsReturn, a very cool guy, ran some baal runs with me a night or two ago, and he was doing great without the cheesy mana stick... I'm pretty jealous. :smiley:

2. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Re: Sorks without Insight?

I find the only way to avoid using the insight is to place a lot of points into Teleport .. At least enough to where its single digits after plus skills .. Lightning Skills are the hardest on mana too so its alwasy gonna be hard to not use insight ...

Iv'e got 3 sorcs and only one of them is using Insight at the moment .

sorc 1 - Blizz / FireBaller - merc uses Tomb Reaver - shes my Baal Dropper
    she has to chugg a mana pot now and again on the way to baal and when fighting Baal

sorc 2 - Orb / Tk - merc uses Obediance - my Meph Dropper
    never needs mana pot as she has level 20 teleport and Mephs a pushover

sorc 3 - Orb / ChargedBoltress - merc uses Insight - my other Meph Dropper
    never needs a mana pot as insight fills her needs

3. dwaasjetuw

dwaasjetuw IncGamers Member

In my experience the only sorcs who dont need insight are orb sorcs.
    Lightning drains the mana even with insight. I was thinking of building a li sorc with infinity on the merc but i really hate potting while playing so i ve put that one on hold until i have a way to get around potting.

4. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Enchantress doesn't need Insight :)

5. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I've never used insight after getting a real merc weapon on any character.

It works fine.

For you specifically...
    Are you using lightning, or cl? CL really kills the mana, and really isn't any better than lightning in most circumstances.
    Doing ES/TK? You should still be playing to never get hit, the ES should just be there for the accidents. The less hits you're taking the easier it is on the mana.
    How's your FCR? Faster you go less hits you take.
    Ditto FHR? If you don't get stuck in the packs you land in, you keep zooming.
    What aura is he? Defiance = less hits taken, for both of you.
    Make sure you're picking up the blue pots, and make sure you're using them.
    Light skills > all skills wherever applicable as they drop your port cost.
    How's your mana pool? The more mana you have the faster it regens, and the less often it's empty. Bahamut's rings are great, as are 40ish mana gcs.
    I'd hope you have your 1 point in warmth and 1 in an armour, and I'd hope you're actually casting the armour.

I dunno, that's what comes to mind immediately, I'm sure there's other random pieces of advice I could give, it's just not something I ever really think about as I've been playing without it forever.

Pretty much, just keep playing without insight, it's hard to go from infinite mana to having to pay a bit of attention to it, but once you're used to it, using that pos weapon seems like a joke.

6. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

1 Row of Blues
    couple Mana charms
    Damage to Mana item
    Juv if the **** hits the fan and you need mana NOW

Insight is a crutch and an over powered non-essential item!

7. AgentMarth

AgentMarth IncGamers Member

I find the 50+ mana GC's help alot. Also, I use Mages for that bit more mana regen, because the higher mana you go, the faster it regenerates. Even, i think like 35%ish more can be helpful.

My Light Sorc as you know didn't go ES for that very reason. Expecting to rely on ES then it breaking due to no mana is worse then just forgoing it and going high in DR%, at least to me. Also, Infinity means no Insight, so I had to get around it. I do notice though, without 1.5k+ mana (I use a CTA) she doesn't like to regen that fast. I did only do one in Port, because is wasn't Port that hurt, so much as casting the L/CL.

Spirit helps, but then you lose block.
    Shako as well, but then no Griffon's.
    FCR mana rings (I use a 10 FCR ~100 mana Blue)
    Points in Energy! Hahaha.....

If you can though, its the charms that make the biggest difference. You lose life charms, but since you use ES, you still get kinda the same amount of "life".

Arshes next rebuild may try the ES route again, since with Infinity, the damage is boosted enough, and safety will be welcome.

8. prion

prion IncGamers Member

~actually the pre 1.10 blue life spec does call for points in energy..

9. scottee

scottee IncGamers Member

My ES/CL sorc has a merc with insight, and I find that it's just about the only way to go. She only has 600ish life, but with 90% of damage coming from mana and some PDR that's enough, generally. Her mana pool, otoh, is around 2k (no BO stick here :sad2:). With an Insight merc, she can stand in a pack of nasties (as long as they're not mana-burners) and spam CL with hardly a drop in her blue bulb. In fact, she needs reds more often than blues!

If you want to get by without an insight stick, I suggest getting as close to 95% ES as possible and enough PDR that your red bulb is pretty safe. Drop all stat points not needed for gears into energy, wear an SoJ (or two, if possible) and Frostburns, and use all the +mana charms you can. With one point in warmth, this ought to get you to the point where you can be pretty spammy with the expensive lightning skills, at least long enough to get through a tough pack, and tank the hits that come your way. May run into some mana recovery time afterwards, though.

Overall though, Insight is just about the second best thing for a litsorc (after Infinity, natch :tongue:)

10. MYK

Man, I feel too smart now. I leveled her up about 5 times and didn't need to assign any dex. Now I look and I had on this lame str/dex ring with mana leech. :embarassed: That's not what I thought was there... Oh well.

She has about 1250 Life, and 500 mana. I'm going to shift around some charms and bring the mana up. Toss my Tal's set back on my fireball/orber and throw on the basic Vipermagi/Stormshield/Wizardspike setup with 105%FCR.
    I did mess up, though. I forgot to point a damn point in the cold shield. Hopefully she lives long enough to level another couple times.
    Merc is defiance, and yeah I've been using lightning a bit more than CL lately. Bunch up the monsters well enough and it does about the same damage or so.

I certainly feel safer with the ES variants. Mana burn is mana burn, but defeating +50% damage from a Might pack is very mucho fun.
    You need to build the 200%FCR blue sork!

You need to sign on! Like yesterday! I found something you might want.:tongue:

Getting to 95% Takes a whole barrel of charms/equipment that I'm just too lazy to put together. I can prebuff around 75% if I want to. As long as it's around 50-60% I'm a happy camper.

11. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

From personal experience, I can tell you for a fact you will need around 950 mana on a sorc with level 44 skills to be able to avoid having to pot (at all).

12. Koyen

Koyen IncGamers Member

Played hardcore sorcs for over 2 years back when Insght and Torches wasn't even created yet. With a bit of attention to equipment (nothing special, not even 1 runeword used) sorc is virtually unstoppable. Shako, SoJes, couple of charms and mana goes way over 1000. With enough points in Warmth that blue ball will never get emptied unless you hit a hard mana burn pack (and that's using mana shield).

Play smart, play safe. Cast high level shield, high level mana shield, use freeze merc with decent unic polearm, get 125 FCR and 86 FHR, Stormshield is a nobrainer. Don't blind-tele and you will never ever die

13. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

125%... L/CL are different BPs than the rest of the stuff.
    Also, -5 facets are great if you can get them, they add sooo much damage, just picking up +3/-5s shouldn't be too bad, the +% barely adds anything. More damage = less casts = more mana obviously.

But yeah, your mana's waaay too low. I'd be unhappy running with that on an orb/tk sorc with 1 mana port, nevermind an L/CL with high cost port. Should help things a bunch when you switch the gear around.

Should be doing more damage if you've bunched them up, given that it's equally hitting all of them and has higher max. It should be doing about the same if you're lazy and just shooting at them one at a time, depending on how many you're accidentally hitting.

One fun thing to note about CL is that it's effected by nextHitDelay... it's been a while since I've looked at that particular nerf-to-lotsofstuff, so I couldn't give you the exact details, but I'm sure you could find it on the stat forums... basically what it means to you though, is if you've got 2 monsters beside each other, and your CL is bouncing back and forth between the two, you're not gaurenteed to be registering damage on every bounce.

14. MYK

About how much mana would be ideal?

Well, I know around ~2.2k would mean infinite teleports at the 15 mana per cost it's at right now, but that's not taking into consideration the odd potions to click on here and there.

15. MYK

Much better with around 1k mana this time. I can spam lightning, teleport, etc. I just have to remember to pick up those mana potions every now and then, which isn't too hard, nobody else picks them up!

Now just gotta figure out how to finish up dressing the mercenary. :smiley: