Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorcs: FB or Lightning?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by BeefChunks, May 6, 2005.

1. BeefChunks

BeefChunks IncGamers Member

Sorcs: FB or Lightning?

I'm going to make a sorc dueler on Us east ladder, though I'm not sure which one Im going to make yet. Which one do you all think is stronger, a 200 fcr Fireballer or a Lightning sorc?

2. yuqing

yuqing IncGamers Member

i would perfer lightning, mainly cause im more used to the lightning sorcs since its the first godly char i made on the 2nd ladder, but i feel that a good lightning sorcs is much more powerful then a pvp fire sorcs, the fire sorc's 2 main spells are very similar one with splash and one without, all the lightning attacks are different and have different uses, nova for bowazons and low res sorcs, chain for summon necros and for killign 2 or 3 at a time, lightning as the big guns, and chargebolt distracting and easy hits. the only time lightning fails is in bm duels without a really good spell to townguard opposed to the fire sorc's meteor, but that can be solved. just go out and kill them. However, it could be a pain sometimes when u hit so low it doesnt always kill someone one hit, however, a fully decked out lightning sorcs is near impossible to fully absorb, i've only been fully absorbed 2 times.

3. Get Bod

Get Bod IncGamers Member

I agree with everything yuqing said.

Especially about light sorce's have a wider variety of attacks. Thunderstorm is one hell of a deal breaker considering you don't have to cast it. FB sorce's do not have an auto attack.

4. BeefChunks

Thanks for all the help, I think Im going to go with a lightning sorc now.

Edit- But what shield should I use? Should I go with Spirit and no dex, or a shield to go max block with?

Edit- It also seems that if I go lightning, I would be tight on skill points. Should I still try for ES?

5. Wrathchild

Wrathchild IncGamers Member

get a whistans guard for the high block and socket it with a sur/jah.
    Imo you should go for es, especialy since light sorc can get a extremely high absorb even with just 1 point stuck in it.
    What i would suggest is to stick all the skills in the middle max (charged bolt, lightning, chain and mastery) and then stick rest of your points into telekinesis (for better es).
    for stats, i'd go 50/50 on mana/life

6. arbing

arbing IncGamers Member

IMHO, for myself i would perfer a fire sorc over a lightning sorc due to the speed of casting fire spells and also fire ball/bolt got much better distance than lightning skills. the average damage of fire ball/bolt and lightning are not much of a different. imo fireball is great skill because it have both damage and aoe (summon/skele stacking isnt much of a problem for fireball). TS is a nice auto skill but since I dont get close to mt opponent when dueling with my sorc, i dont really need it, but it seems like a nice 1 point wonder to me.

7. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

I have gottened owned more often by fireball sorceresses than by lightning sorceresses. I'm not saying either one couldn't be spectacular.

8. BeefChunks

Which one would be better in public dueling? In the games that I go to now with my bowzon, I see a lot of barbs and pallys in public duels.

9. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

I say fire sorc... To me Lightning sorcs have 2 major flaws:

1 - The VERY low min dmg, meaning if you're on a cold streak you'll be hitting "23"s and "50"s of total dmg
    2 - They are vulnerable for a few moments after casting lightning, the main attack.

Besides, Fire sorcs are faster and have a tight dmg range... But they're both good.

As to "fire sorcs don't have auto attacks", is someone forgetting Hydras? with 1 point into it my hydras pull around 1K wich bolt... Each hydra has 3 heads, you can have 5 hydras out at once, let's make the math: 1000 X 3 = 3000 X 5 = 15000

Off course, Hydras don't hit as often as thunderstorm, since Ts is auto-aim, but you can't leave Ts behind you as a trap...

10. Wrathchild

Wrathchild IncGamers Member

probably true that fire sorcs > light sorcs, but still light sorcs have some interesting advantages:

-a tele that needs 1 mana. especially with es this is very important (if you loose all your mana you can tele away, and your mana regenerates while teleing)

-thunderstorm. even with 1 pt in this is a great skill, that does nice dmg and puts your opponent to a hit recovery animation

-with base, even 8x% absorb on your es

-and also charged bolt. though the dmg seems low, (if the opponent has no abs) it'll kill fast. its good to have two types of attacks.

i guess thats it. still the range/speed/dmg of fire sorcs still own light sorcs imo.

11. BeefChunks

Yeah, I just started my lite sorc, right now at lvl 18 and tombing. I'm pretty happy, she does good damage right now for a lvl 18. I now think that lightning is more powerful than fire, especially since you get a lot more freedom on equipment. I'm just aiming for 117 fcr, which is a lot easier than 200.

12. High Lord Bunbun

High Lord Bunbun IncGamers Member

I personally love lightning sorcs a lot more than fire sorcs. They are so much more versatile. Extremely high max damage is awesome, and you have to remember that you will hit your max as often as your min. You also have a far better chance at killing absorbers. With fireball, if they absorb you there is not much you can do. With a lightning sorc, you just keep attacking, eventually you will get a few big hits in and they will die. You can keep up tele indefinitely, something that requires some insane gear to do with a fireballer. Do not underestimate the use of nova and cb. Nova kills the stand and spam sorcs, since they usually have crappy resists, they will go into hit recovery and the nova and ts will take them down fast. 200 fcr fireball is intruiging though. You would be very fast. I'm actually trying out the build myself right now. Since it's only my first char on this ladder, my gear is unimpressive. I am still on the 105 breakpoint and already lag quite a bit. I'll probably keep the char around for when I upgrade my comp this summer.