Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorceress -> Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by yohan_oberg, Nov 4, 2006.

1. yohan_oberg

yohan_oberg IncGamers Member

Sorceress -> Sorcerer

Hi all!

Is there any way to change the model of the sorceress into (eg.) a necro-model? I'm in love with the Sorc.-class but I simply cant play happy as a female character. Is there any mod that changes the model in to a male one?

Cheers!

2. bobofuzzlymunky

bobofuzzlymunky IncGamers Member

maybe on open battlenet? if not then no.

suggestion- 1.12. make some classes multi-sex.

(i say some cuz we dont want barbaress's runnign around. HUGE MUSCLY HAIRY WOMAN!)

sidenote- kind of sexist? :scratch:

3. Sgraffite

Sgraffite IncGamers Member

It is easily doable if you have a lot of time:
    1. Download an mpq editor (I'd recommend Ladik's).
    2. Open the d2char.mpq.
    3. Go to the data\global\chars\NE folder inside the mpq.
    3. Extract the necro character graphics (preserving the path names).
    4. Rename all the necro graphics to have SO as the first two letters instead of NE.
    5. Create a data folder inside the Diablo 2 directory.
    6. Place the renamed files inside that Diablo 2\data\global\chars\SO (Notice NE has been changed to SO in the path as well!).
    7. Start the game with the -direct switch so it will use the modified files in the data folder.

There is going to be quite a few graphics rename but it is definitely doable :smiley:

Edit - This will work on closed battle.net.

4. yohan_oberg

What can I say?
    Sgraffite..I love you!

I used to do this in WoW to change some ugly grapics... didn't think of the possiblility that this was doable in D2 aswell.
    This was exactly what I was looking for!
    Thanks alot!

5. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

more you live more you wonder

6. GotFriana

GotFriana IncGamers Member

dont forget to change the sounds too, you dont want your male/necro/sorcerer screaming with a female voice when hit do you?

but wouldnt that be fun though?... >_>

7. yohan_oberg

Oh dear, didn't think of that at first. That would prob. be even worse yes ;)
    Never really understood this "female-toon"-thing, in RPG:s (unless player is female ofc). It feels weird to identify with a non-male character. Its equivalent of wearing a dress and a pair of high-heels in RL... eerr... not that I would know anything about that!! ;)

8. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I can't imagine Lulu or Edea being male (off topic). The sorceress image is much better than the sorcerer counterpart (in general, not necessary D2).

On a serious note, if the game doesn't have gender choices, people almost never associate the gender of the character with the gender of the player.
    You don't need to. Just use Anya's model.

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

This whole gender thing for the chars looks worth expecting. Something possible even i didn't know yet :D Great thread!

10. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

There was a sorcerer in Diablo (1). Now there's a female one. Oh well.

It would be fun if you could choose. No character with long white beard IS a downside. :nerd:

11. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

Coolest thread on here in a while.

Thanks for the Ladik suggestion, I couldn't find an MPQ editor that worked x_x

12. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

While you're at it playing around the MPQ editor... go for the Fallen Shaman skin instead! on a sidenote I remember some mod that did this... playing from the monsters perspective...

13. Sgraffite

Sgraffite IncGamers Member

That's not quite so simple as swapping necro graphics to a sorc. Each animation file in Diablo 2 is split up into directions and frames, where each direction can have multiple frames. For example say your sorceress is wearing a skull helm. There is a file that contains the animation for her running in many directions, such as north south, east, west.. etc as these all require different graphics to give the illusion of viewing her from different angles.

To do what is stated above you would need to view the animation files (.dcc) and replace every helm animation with a Fallen Shaman head animation. And so on for all the other body parts. If you would like to pursue something of this nature I'd recommend a program called SixDice. It willl allow you to do pretty much whatever you need to with the animations. You could even export the frames of your favorite monster and use other software to make an animated gif with them.

14. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Before you become all too enthusiastic, I'd like to remind you what a herculean task replacing character animations can be.

Remember that a character is not a single animation but rather a whole array of different animations superimposed upon each other, all of which needs an image for every single frame in 16 directions. Because Diablo 2 is a sprite based game they cannot just be rotated. They need to be individually done.

A sorceress has animations for:

Standing
    Standing in town
    Walking
    Walking in town
    Running
    Blocking
    Hit recovery
    Kicking (used for barrels, though a modder CAN give a sorc a kick attack)
    Attacking
    Alternate attack
    Casting

All these animations can be different regarding which weapons she wields:

One handed-swinging weapons (swords, axes, maces, wands, orbs etc.)
    Two handed-swinging weapons (staves, mauls, two-handed axes, polearms)
    Two handed swords
    One-handed stabbing weapons (knives/javelins)
    Spears
    Bows
    Crossbows

The sorceress herself (we haven't even touched on the weapons/shields she carries) are made of several individual parts, sorta like a Lego man:

Head (can be bare/circlet, cap, skullcap, helm, full helm, crown, great helm, bone helm, each requiring a seperate set of animations)
    Torso (can be light, medium or heavy, again requiring seperate animations)
    Left arm (light, medium, heavy, ditto)
    Right arm (light, medium, heavy, ditto)
    Left shoulderpad (light, medium, heavy, ditto)
    Right shoulderpad (light, medium, heavy, ditto)
    Legs (light, medium, heavy, ditto)

Remember that all this has to be done for sixteen direction for each animation frame. Since it is all bitmaps (not models), each frame in each direction must be handled individually.

15. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

Fascinating!

Does Blizzard only uses this type of animation or there is some other games, who do the same principe?

16. nickedoff

There are tons of sprite based games. Most (all?) Nintendo games were, Baldur's Gate is (I think), etc.

17. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

I don't think he was talking so much about Diablo 2 using sprites as he was talking about Diablo 2 using sprites constructed from multiple overlays.

If I understand correctly, the answer is no.

Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Diablo (1) and Starcraft, none of which use this kind of sprites. There is actually a seperate sprite for each weapon/armour combination in Diablo.

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series are games that use the same principle as Diablo 2 to character animation, but to a lesser degree.

Where the Diablo 2 character is made by a vast array of sprite overlays, the Baldur's Gate character is made by:

The character itself, in three or four variants for different types of armour.
    Weapon and shield graphics.
    Helmet.

Also, Baldur's Gate cuts many corners regarding sprites. For example, many of the directions are merely mirror images of each other. This means weapons and shields will mysteriously "switch hands", but it does cut down needed sprites by almost half.

18. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

They are cheating bastards :grin:

Thanks for clearing this out. Very interesting, realy very interesting. I suppose that you know this all, becouse you are working for some game development company. For me this all is chineese, I know just a little from 3D animation, as my bro is working with that.

Cool :cool:

19. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

He he... this thread brings up so many possibilities... now... if only I devoted my time to sprite modelling instead of 3d modelling... I wonder how long it would take to make attack animations for cain... not to mention helm models... He does have a cast animation doesn't he? Or does he do nothing when he creates the portal in tristram.

Another beef of mine is the lack of leap sprites for non-barbs, and the lack of a left-hand punch on barbs (because it makes strength bugged barbs disappear when they swing their second weapon)...

Man... we need a sprite modeller.

Laz

20. nickedoff

IIRC it just opens next to him, conveniently.

Again, if I recall correctly, assassins do a 'flip' when they leap (using character editors to enable them to leap). I've been told that there were leap charges on boots in an earlier patch, but I've never seen them.