Sorceress Question

Hapax

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorceress Question

Hi

Picked up Diablo II again some weeks ago, after I played it for quite a while ~2 years ago. I played a sorceress back then and got stuck on hell difficulty, which I'm trying to avoid now:
My main attack spell is lvl.15 Blizzard, which works quite well in Nightmare, but i didnt build up a secondary attack spell yet, against the cold immune monsters.
I'd like to take one from the lightning branch, but I don't really know which one. Chain lightning, as I understand it, is rather poor because it is cast at 'attack speed'. What are the other options? thunder storm, no matter what lvl, cannot be possibly strong enough to make the bulk of damage in hell, right?
Is there actually any lightning based attack spell that gets me through hell difficulty (in addition to blizzard, of course)?

Thanks

- Hapax

MaxMax

Diabloii.Net Member
try 2 look here: Sorc Guides

It depends on how many skill points you've already spent though, if you have enough points for a synergy then I'd personally recommend; fireball or meteor... but maybe you should try bringing it up in Sorc-Forum

Also I would strongly suggest not taking Thunder Storm.... doesn't really work 4 me

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
The lightning attack speed is fixed already, although L/CL still cast slower than fireball, teleport, and such.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
a higher lvl chain lightning can do good dmg aginst groups
hell is tough is your skills arent maxed (lvl 20++)
run bosses in nm until you find some better gear
snowclash belt and occy are good for cold sorcs there generally not very expensive on realms

if your lod ladder build up your str so you can use a spirit monarch +2skills +25-35fcr
get a merc (and gear him up) to help out with immunes

Megafusion

Diabloii.Net Member
i would recommend chain lightning, although if u dont put in the synergies and stuff fer it, it will do relatively low dmg..

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
I would not suggest Nova as an attack, it's damage is rather low when compared to the alternatives. If you must go with the Lightning tree then max Lightning and it's mastery for a more damaging attack.

Hapax

Diabloii.Net Member
I would not suggest Nova as an attack, it's damage is rather low when compared to the alternatives. If you must go with the Lightning tree then max Lightning and it's mastery for a more damaging attack.
so rather max lightning, not CL? Is the faster cast rate of lightning worth the smaller damage?

Related question: are there any recommended items that raise the attack rate (to increase CL cast rate), but which are also usefull for a sorc in other aspects?

masakerr

Diabloii.Net Member
Max your blizzard! Use "static" to knock them down and have a GOOD merc set up to take them the rest of the way out.

I run all over hell with a much weaker attack (frozen orb) and use my merc to kill al the cold immunes.

The ONLY problem I run into is when they are cold and lightning immune, but then again it just takes longer for my merc to do the work! Just kill everything else around your merc so he can concentrate on that one dual immune boss.

Chain lightning can only help. It won't hurt and it gives you something to do! LOL.

Static them down! Let the Merc kill . . . or just teleport away and go after the next boss/monster.

Max your attack!

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
The damage between Lightning and Chain Lightninig at level 20 is 4-1110 and 4-1147 respectively. For some reason I thought it was a more prononced difference with Ligtning being more damaging. Oops.

That said yes I'd go with CL instead of Lightning Hapax, sorry about that.

To answer your other question, many items have faster cast rate that would be helpful. Many rings have FCR and resistances, helms can have the same and shields such as Spirit and Lidless Eye are helpful in that regard, as well as the Vipermagi armor.