Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorceress Max Block Table

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by TurboC--, Feb 14, 2004.

1. TurboC--

TurboC-- Banned

2. KTang

KTang <font color="#93ad4f">Official Diablo 3 Item Value

Theres a blocking table in sasja's meteorb guide :) But well done anyway. :thumbsup:

3. qhc

qhc IncGamers Member

Why there is no
    "rhyme" grim shield
    "rhyme" troll nest

which is so common on sorcs.

4. TurboC--

TurboC-- Banned

Those would take 14 more dex to reach max block @ L90, not to mention the troll nest needs more str as well. It wasn't practical to itemize every possible choice of shield for the runewords; if someone wants their rhyme to have more defense (and I suppose less run/walk penalty which to me would matter a bit more) and wants to give up 28 life for it, that's a valid decision. My goal was to show max block with easiest requirements, and that's a tower shield. However, you make a valid point, so I'll add in those 2 choices for the runewords. The extra defense of the grim shield / troll nest would matter even more for the Sanctuary, which has a +130-160% ED.

5. TurboC--

TurboC-- Banned

Just looked at that. Hardly very comprehensive, but then her (?) goal was for the overall Sorceress, whereas I just went totally in-depth on the blocking. I see she lists Visceratuant at 72% inherent blocking (???) Not sure where on earth she got that number from, it lists as 60% for me. 72% would make it even more attractive, but either way it's still the best +skill blocking shield for sorc. One thing though that I see I overlooked was the possibility of using Eld runes, which when I work out the numbers, would only really be worth it for Lidless (saves 50 dex.) I'll have to add that comparison to the guide, but actually I think Viscer would still win, since lidless would then be totally stuck with a 9-frame block (and I've been lectured on the importance of block-speed by others... not that it was justified since my guide already heavily talks about it but whatever...)

6. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

It's from an upgraded Viscercurant.

7. TurboC--

TurboC-- Banned

Upgrades.

Looks like I have some more work to do, eh. :)

8. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

Quite possibly. To be honest, I think shields for the sake of high block (*cough* whistan) are pure crap. I'll stick with my um'd SS thank you very much. 8P

Nice work btw, Turbo.

9. TurboC--

TurboC-- Banned

Thanks, but apparently it's full of holes as yet. And I thought I was comprehensive. (*cough*) Huge question about the uniques & upgrades. Basically, there are huge discrepencies in some of the listed block %'s for uniques (on Arreat Summit.) Defender lists its chance to block as 20%. Visceratuant (defender) says it has +30% blocking, yet lists as 60% blocking. Similar deal with Moser's, Round Shield is 25%, then +25% gives it... 57%. :p Stormchaser gains 2%, Tiamat's gains a mysterious +10% (listing no extra block chance), etc.

Above the blocking %'s for each shield there's a number in []'s. For normal and elite shields the blocking is always +20% this number, for Sorc. For exceptionals it varies with no apparent pattern that I can make out. No wait, there is a pattern. From Defender to Barbed Shield, it's giving you the same old block %'s for the normal versions, even though the [] number is higher. I assume it's correct but I don't know why this is.

Anyway, I do see that for all the unique exceptional shields, the blocking is boosted to be +20% the [] number. So armed with this knowledge, I can safely assume that when upgrading from exceptional to unique, I can ignore the [] discrepency and stick with the listed %'s for the elite shields, which does give 72% for Visceratuant. Guess I answered my own question (but didn't answer the "why??"...)

Oh yeah, and I agree that a shield just for blocking isn't really enough - that's why I started the guide. I knew there had to be better choices than Whitstans out there, that would give actual other bonuses (resistances please?), and now I have a pretty good handle on which those are. (Until someone else comes along and points out something else that I've missed...) Also, apparently the Tower Shield class is the ONLY one that gives a -10% run/walk. THAT sucks. I have to re-examine that choice...

10. JohnsonHoward

JohnsonHoward IncGamers Member

wouldnt um in ss be also a waste? the resist can be easily reached by placing a pdimond. its just 2 resist (or 3) lower than a um rune where um rune can be socket in armorand helm. a -req/resist/fhr/%dmg goes to mana will be the best socket for a ss.
    i personally believe u use different shield when u play different class in pvp...
    just my 2 cents

howie

11. TurboC--

TurboC-- Banned

Um isn't a waste if you know that's your final, best shield. Then it's worth it if you want to spend it. I plan to put 2 Ums in my upgraded Moser's (once I find a Moser's. Heh.) Armors I'd rather use Topaz, and weapons get the Ists. :) Now Ist, that's something that's not worth it for armor (+1% nerfed magic find, when it's an unsurpassed +30% in weapons)