Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorc that is good in hell?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Don Zardeone, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Don Zardeone

Don Zardeone IncGamers Member

Sorc that is good in hell?

Ok, I've searched, read pretty much everything and am facing some sort of dilemma which I wouldn't be having if I had ever been in hell before ;)

(I haven't played in 4 years so I have no idea about the higher levels of play in D2exp)

Ok so here's the deal: I want to make a sorceress. No, wait. I already made a few but I want to make a sorceress who will work great in hell.

I figured I'd go with a meteorb but someone told me that meteorb will lack in damage when I get to hell. Several people told me this in fact.

They say that in hell, as a sorc, I have to have spells that do 1K+ damage at least.

1. Can a meteorb do that?
    2. Can a pure one do that better?
    3. Is meteorb "hell proof"?

From what I've read it seems that meterob is able to dish out the damage in hell, can work well in teams and is a viable allround sorc build.

However. People are telling me to remake my sorc and go pure cold.

Is the damage really that big? Is there also a big difference between 2 low damage hits and 1 big damage hit?

Is meteorb really "hell proof"?

2. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

It all depends what you want to do with your Sorc. If you're looking for versatility, and for a Sorceress that can play solo easily in Hell, go for a Meteorb. Yes they are hell-proof, I've had several ones and they're very powerful when built correctly. If you give her expensive gear (Infinity, Anni/Torch, CoH/Enigma, etc...), she can even solo Hell in 8-players games in any area of the game. For example, you can reach 10k fire damage with fireball, with an optimized Orb on top of that (and Infinity on top of that again).

3. aazjazz

aazjazz IncGamers Member

I'd actually go with Hydra/Orb. Very few guides on those because people are simply obsessed with damage. Sure meteors do obscene amounts of damage but if I am soloing mostly, and don't have uber gear, I prefer safety over speed. Also good for hardcore.

Just plump a few hydras around corners and in front of you, then run away. Let the heads do the talking. Throw a few orbs down the line and its pretty much a done deal.

OF course I am assuming you can get at least +7 skills, very doable.

Soloing hell now and no real problems except for bosses.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

I have a FB/orb sorc I love.

+11 skills is easy to get. +3 wand +2 shield +2 armor +2 ammy +2 helm. If you get a sorc torch it'll get much better.

73 skill points used.
    Max FO Cold Duration: 38 Seconds
    Cold Damage: 430 - 450 (ø440.5)

ONly 1 point in CM. Ideally you want lv 17 it's at 12 now.

20 Fire bolt
    20 Fire ball Fire damage: 3016 - 3315 (ø3166)
    1 FM

Tele, static get 1 each. 1 in shiver armor and warmth the rest are prereqs.

If you get a torch

FB Fire damage: 3816 - 4171 (ø3994)
    FO Cold Damage: 476 - 498 (ø487)

Spam like mad. Get a Holy Freeze merc with a Reapers Tool (or a high damage stick) in combination with your static to wipe out the very odd F and C immunes.

5. Are

Are IncGamers Member

My MeteOrb (my first Sorc, in fact) had no problems at all in Hell. The main thing about a MeteOrb is that she can solo Hell without help. A cold-only Sorc needs help to get past any ColdImmune quest monsters, which there are pretty many of (For instance, you're bound to get at least one CI Ancient).

As for 1k damage.. My Meteor currently (at charlevel 87, and with MF equipment; I could add another +3 to skills by reducing MF) 8,5k-9k damage, my FireBall does 3k-3,5k, and my FrozenOrb does 400 damage.. With 10 points in Cold Mastery, I actually mainly use the Orb, since it kills more monsters faster than either FB or ME :)

A pure Cold or Fire Sorc will do more damage with each of her spells, of course, but will be far less versatile, and will require more help to get through key areas of the game.

6. ayaueto

ayaueto IncGamers Member

Lighting Sorceress with an Infinity Mercenary.

7. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

My single play Hell sorceress just keeps dying :weep:
    She's got great equipment, uses Frozen Orb the most along with some random fire/lightningattacks (usually Firewall/Chain Lightning) and I'd be fine if I had space to run. I'm ok - even if only just - in the open fields. But in caves etc: no where to run, so I die :weep:

8. Are

Are IncGamers Member

Do you use a Holy Freeze Merc? My Sorc virtually never dies (she died a total of 4 times on her way from level 1 to killing Hell Baal at level 85), and the Holy Freeze aura has a large part of the responsibility for keeping it that way :)

9. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Well the most common two element sorc would most likely be meteorb, with tals set and a sorc torch you can hit around 7k fireball and 500 dmg per shard on your orb in your late 80's. This is fully acceptable with in low player games but will get a bit slower in a high player count game.

iirc your "full orb" can hit larger single targets with about 16 shards, that's 16*500 = 8k cold damage, pretty nice considdering how cheap it is skillwise. Still orb has it's disadvantages and and the blizzballer build has come into the spotlight as an alternative. Don't know myself how good it is since I've not tested it.

Another sorc is the orb/cl sorc, better for crowds but less of a bossrunner if you ask me, only sorc I've ever had who could solo travincial in classic. Might be your call if you're thinking acout doing pits or keyrunning as your main sport instead of hunting meph and andy.

The 3 elementalist is still possible but will not be efficent in high player settings. Your main attacks would probably fall too firewall, orb and lightning/chain lightning. Firewall is a pain to use unless your target is stationary or ocuppied with killing your merc, still works ...however slowly ...

Best is however the pure lightning sorc, requiers quite goodly gear (infinity being the critical part), but when you've got them she's a freaking killing mashine. Made one with an editor on sp who can easily solo cs in 8 player games... my next big projekt to make on the realm ...

ps: as adviced before, a hf merc is a really good choise, give him ok physical damage and life leech and he'll happily safe your neck countless times.

10. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

if you're going to team up with others (so they kill immunes for you) or if you wantto confine your solo playing to a few areas (which don't have cold immunes), then blizzard sorc is by far the most powerful untwinked, as she can solo 8player games with just average gear

meteorber can be made powerful but you NEED +skills items - without them any 8pl game soloing is out of question (even games with less players will be difficult)

11. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

The OP hasn't played in 4 years. I'm sure he can pull an Infinity out of somewhere. :rolleyes:

12. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

I'm having an Act I merc. In fact, I still have the one I got on Normal.
    I've tried the whole package with my previous sorcs (deleted all of them by now) and found the act I the handiest, cos she does damage from a distance thus not having to run into a battle first. Melee mercs all tend to stand behind you and wait for you to run into battle, at least they do with me. :sad2:
    Currently trying to guide my sorc through the Countess Tower. Failing. :weep:

13. Klæmint Vágadal

Klæmint Vágadal IncGamers Member

Start out with a BlizzBaller, they are good and can easyli solo hell, but they are abit gear dependant.

But if youre starting out fresh, I suggest making a sorc for Mephisto farming. A pure cold sorc with the aim of taking down Mephisto as fast as possible. The Sorceress section is a good place to start looking for info:smiley:

14. Are

Are IncGamers Member

That is probably your problem.. The Act I merc will generally try to run away from melee, thus leaving the monsters free to choose whether to go after you or the merc, while the Act II and Act V mercs will generally try to run into melee, keeping the monsters away from you (merc AI is a bit improved compared to old times, too).

15. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Dunno, every time I hired an act II or act V merc they were just standing behind me like apathetic idiots who got nothing to do, while all kinds of monsters where trying to kill me (and often succeeding) *feels silly now*:sad2:

16. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Easy enough to use teleport to relocate your merc. Jump a very short distance closer to the monsters, and immediately take a step away This will leave your merc closer to them than you, and he will draw all their attacks to him.

And a pure cold sorc can finish the game without any help. The Corpse Explosion charges on Bonehew on switch will allow you to deal physical and fire damage, especially after using Static Field. Very quick Baal runner.

- Noodle

17. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Good tip. Doesn't the merc run back to you then after you run back? They tend to do that you know.

No idea what you're on about here though.

18. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

If you only run back a step, the merc will charge the monsters attacking him. I use this against Cold Immunes with my pure Blizzard sorc, and it works very well. Oblivion Knights spawn Cold Immune, and I generally teleport directly on top of them. They tend to use the Iron Maiden curse only when they're not being attacked by a close opponent - once you get close to them, they generally switch to Decrepify, and the merc can attack without the risk of a one-hit kill. You can also use Telekinesis to stun or knock them back, keeping them from attacking. (This is also the best way, IMHO, to deal with the CI Ancient. Knock out the others first, then pin the CI guy up against a pillar with Telekinesis and let your merc take him out.)

The third wave of Baal's baddies has the Cold Immune mages. Once I've put down one or more of the big Mummies, I hit 'W' to switch weapons, to where I have a Bonehew. This marvelous weapon has charges of the Necromancer curse 'Corpse Explosion', which converts the dead beast's Hit Points into equal parts fire and physical damage. (Actual damage may vary, I believe in the range of 60% - 100% of the original HP.). I use the charges on the bodies littering the floor, and all the Cold Mages die within two or three casts.

Then it's time to switch my merc's weapon (Act II, Holy Freeze) to an upgraded ethereal Kelpie Snare, go through the portal and teleport directly on top of Baal. One good hit from the Kelpie, and Baal is slowed down so much he can't attack or cast a clone. He dies in a matter of seconds - usually I have to drink one mana potion.

- Noodle

19. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

I'm gonna throw in my two cents for the pure light sorc. I would decide on your type of sorc based on how you'll play her after you've beaten hell. Any number of builds will get you through Hell difficulty and up to about lvl 85 or so. But then if you're going to use your sorc after that to build wealth, then you'll need to think ahead about killing speed.

Meteorb (or fireball) sorcs are very versatile and can play just about anywhere. So if you like to log on for magicfinding sessions and kill all the bosses and tons of groups in all sorts of different levels, then a meteorb is a great choice. On the other hand, I like to run just a few areas really quickly and then make a new game. I hit Andariel, Meph, countess, Arcane, Elritch/Pindle/Shrenk for uniques and keys. In my opinion, the lightning sorc is unbeatable for this. You've got a really fast and cheap teleport, nice static, lightning for bosses, and chain lightning just owns groups. Infinity on your merc would be godly, but I actually use a colossus voulge insight so I never need to worry about mana. Even with Pgem/mid-rune gear, you won't have any problem at all...

20. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

It's not like I can find those items right away or so.....:embarassed: