Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorc needs more defense?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by catalogguy, May 30, 2008.

1. catalogguy

catalogguy IncGamers Member

Sorc needs more defense?

Hi,

I have been trying various characters and still the sorc is my favorite for all around fun game play. I built a FO/CL sorc as described in the guide here... http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=562.

Here is a list of her stats and gear... http://www.catalogguy.com/d2/sorc.gif

So overall this has been a great character, but with a few serious limitations. Mainly I get creamed when trying to tele around places like Durance 2 (even in nm) and various places in Hell act 5. I can't seem to tele fast enough to the perfect spots to always stay alive. For example in durance 2 those little guys swarm me even if I am just trying to pass through. If I am lucky and my tele keeps going, then I can usually survive (at least for a while). But if I bump into a wall with nothing on the other side and I tele another direction they have taken half my life! If changing direction doesn't go smoothly or quickly enough, then it's all over. I go through full rejuvs, but still I die more often than I'd like.

Is this a gear limitation? Tals is fun and has some nice bonuses, but my def really is pretty low at under 2k. Maybe I need to do something else with gear to achieve a more viable hell player. I would hate to give up substantial mf, but maybe there are options or at least compromises?

Ok next issue is my act 2 Holy Freeze merc. He has the problem I have read so many times: cannot get through the act 4 sanctuary (even in normal). He lasts longer if I remove his Insight, but his killing power against the boss is greatly reduced. Anything I can do like change or socket his helm?

OK (next to) last question, FCR. I have a total of 50 FCR from gear. How can I increase it? I read that I should get to the 75 breakpoint.

Finally, anything else I should be considering to make this sorc my ultimate char? FHR, etc?

2. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

You
    Your equipment gives you 70% Faster Cast Rate (FCR), and that's your main problem. You need a higher FCR to be able to teleport around without the mobs catching you.

You have a few options. You could try is replace your Chance Guards with Magefists, the Ravenfrost with a FCR ring (or two) and then you'll have 110 FCR which gets by the 105% breakpoint.

You can also use your weapon switch of Occulus and perhaps a Spirit shield (need to spend stat points to equip) along with a FCR ring to get over then 105% breakpoint as well. Then you'll be able to keep your Chance Guards on.

You should then be able to teleport around and even if you land next to a monster, you can teleport away before they land a hit.

Merc
    I'm assuming your merc is dying to IM and that's the problem. You'd also need to take off the Fortitude armor to make sure he lasts longer as that armor is adding quite a bit of damage to his attacks. You can then re-equip him just before dealing with Diablo.

Remember you can also teleport away to save him, this is something in the CS you'll need to do on a constant basis. Just keep an eye out for what curse he's affected by.

Else
    I wouldn't worry about FHR for your ranged sorceress, it's more for melee builds than anything else. And FHR won't help nearly as much as FCR when teleporting around.

3. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Re: Sorc needs more defense?

The problem you're having is not a problem of defense, as your defense should be high enough, but one of speed of movement. Hitting the 75FCR breakpoint is good, hitting the 105 break point is even better. Try swapping your shield out for a spirit shield and either your nagelring or your ravenfrost for a ring with FCR. This will help you hit the 105 break point and will make you seem like you're moving like greased lightning compared to how fast you're moving now. Other than that your char sounds pretty good.

As for your merc, no there is nothing you can do better to help your merc survive the Chaos Sanc, however, why not swap the insight stick back onto him to fight the bosses? So much swapping is kind of pain in the arse but it's the best option for keeping him around, alive and useful.

4. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Main sorc FCR Breakpoints to aim for are 63, 105 and 200, not 75.

200 is 6 frames per cast, and is unattainable with Full Tal's.

105 is 7 frames per cast and is attainable by using 35 FCR Spirit Monarch, Full Tal's and Magefists. I think this is out of the question for you, since you have way too little strength.

63 is 8 frames per cast and is what you currently have (50 Tal's + 20 Lidless). It's an OK FCR (although I prefer to have 105, much more comfortable).

Do not focus on defense - only very few characters can allow themselves the privilege of amassing defense without serious penalties to other aspects (Paladins with their HS, Barbs with their IS and Shout come to mind).

To avoid trouble with teleporting in places like Durance (especially durance), never teleport through the middles of the rooms - stick close to a wall, there are fewer enemies there. Do not stop teleporting.

Sadly, no Spirit means you lack on FHR - 25 from Tal's is not nearly enough. That's why you are experiencing problems with resuming teleporting after being hit.

About CS... Well, no way around it, bear with it. Some ways to preserve a merc with Insight is to make an extra Insight in a low-damage pokerstick. For example, a cracked voulge (found late in the game for 4 sockets, of course) is a perfect candidate, with <10 average damage. You can also keep him away from attacking enemies while he is IM'd by constantly teleporting.

[EDIT]: Pwned. Twice. BTW, Mursillis, he needs 2 FCR rings, since Magefist + Full Tal's + Lidless = 90 FCR.

5. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

Dump those extra 100 points into dexterity and get a high blocking shield (with resists if you need it). Get to 75% blocking and it will definitely solve your dying issues. taking only 1/4 the damage from dolls, frenzytaurs, succubi and the other phys dmg baddies makes it way, WAY easier to get around in hell.

Shields to consider: Stormshield or gerke's (hel'd for -str req), moser's, rhyme grim shield, or whistan's (if you need REALLY high block). remember, you can put an eld rune in any for 7% higher blocking (2x eld runes in moser's if need be!)

check out the facts & formulae archive in the Strategy Compendium for the formula to determine final blocking % and other great tables/formulas: http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551

FYI, you are going to still need to hit the 63% fcr breakpoint to tele fast enough between mobs. since you would be taking away your lidless consider using trang's gloves or fcr rings or another way to get your fcr up to at least 63%.

P.S. I promise you, raising your defense will do next to nothing in your situation. getting from 2k to 2.5k or 3k defense will not decrease the enemy chance to hit by much at all - in hell 5k defense is when you start seeing a little bit of an advantage defense-wise, and not until 8-10k defense does the advantage really warrant the gear changes.

-f

:EDIT: ProfessionalBerg's post says it great. Remember to keep that FHR up - in the link i gave above is the FHR table that lists the breakpoints. I find 42% to work just fine for pvm... that can be achieved through a few FHR charms, socketing your tal mask with a shael, or even putting treks on as boots. I still think however that blocking in addition to what ProfessionalBerg says will increase your survivability exponentially.

6. TheNamelessOne

TheNamelessOne IncGamers Member

Mursilis - I'm sure your right, but how is one frame faster cast rate going to really help?

7. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

You'd be surprised. I had the same problem as you until I increased my FCR. Now I can teleport into and out of fanaticism enhanced doll packs without them even getting a chance to swing at me.

8. Garisdacar

Garisdacar IncGamers Member

FHR (faster hit recovery) is also somewhat important (and why Spirit is such an awesome shield for sorcs) so you don't get stuck in stunlock when tele'ing into a pack.

9. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I myself also love 105 FCR with spirit. The only issue is that my block rate is too high!! That 20% or so chance of block with no faster block rate is kind of bad.

10. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

what lvl is your sorc?

full tal is kinda crap, i use nightwing, snowclash, occy, spirit mon on my fo/cl
    build up the str for a spirit monarch (156), or trade your cold/dex skillers for cold/str skillers
    (sorcs dont need any dex, unless your going max block)
    why use a rfrost and nagel, use some rare or crafted fcr rings with res and str

max your light mastery, lightning and cl, then synergies

also toss some cold or light facets in your gear (helm/occy/armor)

11. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Why the occy? If you are going for murdering speed, isn't fathom or crescent moon better?

12. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Full Tal is better than your setup for a FO/CL sorceress. Tal Orb alone is just like NW, only 1 less +skills, but +2 masteries and 3 light facets instead (-15% lres). Occy is something I'd rather Charsi than use myself. Snowclash only adds some damage, not really benefiting. Besides, if you throw out a piece of Tal's, leaving only armor and amulet, you lose the 65 MF.

13. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

full tal adds +6 to all with +1-2 to masteries
    adding a spirit mon totals +8

nw(+2), occy(+3), tal ammy (or +2 crafted/rare amy) will add +2
    after adding a spirit mon(+2) will total +9

cold mastery doesnt do much after lvl 15 iirc

snowclash adds chilling armor (nice prebuff), blizzard (good aoe) and spike (no casting delay and gets cenergies from both)

trang glove is cheap and has 20fcr for the boost if you need