Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

sorc merc help!!!

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by litokrn, Apr 18, 2008.

1. litokrn

litokrn IncGamers Member

sorc merc help!!!

hello. rite now i gotta act 2 defiance merc n he's doing ok
    should i upgrade to holy freeze now that i'm in nm? my defense is pretty bad w/o the defiance aura

also, i heard of some combos like act2 prayer merc w/ insight = no potions
    or holy freeze w/ the aura that lowers enemy resists

whats best?

2. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

Re: sorc merc help!!!

I use a Holy Freeze and Infinity (Conviction aura) mercenary for my Lightning Sorceress. It's probably a lot better since the Conviction will break almost any lightning immunes you come across.
    That's probably the most popular mercenary weapon for most lightning Sorceresses anyway, so you might as well go with what works =/ Insight is okay, but you shouldn't be having any mana troubles anyway, as Warmth should take care of that, and your spells aren't too mana heavy anyway.

3. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

What's best depends on what type of sorceress you are using. As TT mentioned, if you are a lightning sorc then the Conviction aura from Infinity will be extremely useful, while if you are a Blizzard sorc then it's pretty much a waste.

Whether to use a Defiance or Holy Freeze merc for defense is a huge debate, people swear by each of them. Personally I like the Holy Freeze as any non-cold immunes will be slowed down which helps out both you and your mercenary. The Defiance aura isn't so much help for you though, since defense isn't a big part of a sorceress' goal, besides which you need extremely high defense to make it count (~10k).

Don't forget the Might merc as well. If you are having trouble with monsters immune to your spells then the Might aura will help your mercenary deal with them quite a bit faster.

4. litokrn

litokrn IncGamers Member

forgot to mention i was a meteorb sorc =P
    hmm how bout the prayer merc? any worth in that one?

5. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I remember for my fire Sorceress I went with a Holy Freeze mercenary, which wouldn't help you at all considering you're using Frozen Orb. Go with the Prayer mercenary, it could help quite a bit.
    As for the mercenary's weapon, since a Meteorb can handle herself almost anywhere in the game, get a weapon with decent damage so you can have some wicked backup. If you find yourself lacking in the mana department, which you shouldn't be, then go for the Insight. They're cheap as chips on ladder anyway.

6. eseven

eseven IncGamers Member

Since you shouldn't be having too much trouble with resists as stated by others, go with a high damage ethereal (if possible) weapon for your merc. I find that the most efficient one to make is a E Breath of the Dying. It's relatively cheap to make, (only 2 hrs used), has great damage, speed, and leech. The Insight/Prayer combo is a good choice for ES sorcs imo as the great mana regen basically equates to nigh invincibile in most PvM situations.

7. litokrn

litokrn IncGamers Member

whats es? =P im on non-ladder by the way x.x
    hmm i find the holy freeze slows monsters, but i often outrace my merc so the monsters get a hit in before they get slowed n whatnot...

8. eseven

eseven IncGamers Member

ES= energy shield, coupled with maxed Telekinesis u have high damage absorption at a 0.75 damage:mana rate which effectively increases your life total by 1/4. These builds pour all stat points that would normally be in Vit, into Energy. You end up with a few thousand mana, a 0.75 damage:mana rate, and ridiculous mana regen (which basically = life regen for a ES sorc) with insight. Major downside to these builds is that it requires a large investment of skill points into TK/ES which subtracts from your synergy, etc damage.

9. litokrn

litokrn IncGamers Member

hmm so then is prayer/insight not recommended for a meteorb? just stick with the traditional holy freeze?
    or is the ultimate conclusion, decide on ur own cuz its all preference xD

10. The Demon Slayer

The Demon Slayer IncGamers Member

the merc i have right now is the holy freeze from nightmare. it has been very helpful by chilling all the enemies. But it is your choice to who u pick.

11. Garisdacar

Garisdacar IncGamers Member

i use holy freeze on my meteorb just b/c it slows down the immune to cold monsters so i have time to target them with my fire spells.

12. litokrn

litokrn IncGamers Member

hm how fast is the life regen of the prayer merc...? like i mentioned before, the problem with the holy freeze merc is that it doesnt seem to slow the monsters down until they're almost on top of me, at least with flayers and the like. the speed demons just seem to rush me and get a hit in before being slowed

13. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

If you equip a prayer merc with Insight he will have very high regeneration due to the double heal effect (Prayer + meditation). Also you will essetially have unlimited mana and "poison immunity" cause of prayer.

On non-ladder there's probably tons of duped runes so you could make an Infinity (which will help with your fire spells mostly). But if you want to be legit you probably have a better chance with Insight. The two critical things are a Sol Rune and a 4 os spear/polearm with decent damage (60+). Insight gives other nice bonuses besides mana regen.

Making a legit Infinity is generally impossible (perhaps unless you've been playing for a very long time and got the runes)

If you do choose infinity, then probably a HF merc would be nice since his cold damage would be more powerful, although I don't really like them that much.

As for price... I made an insight with what i found and I had a bit of trouble getting the 4 os Partizan, but I would definately not trade it for chippies!

14. hacgumyu

hacgumyu IncGamers Member

Isn't infinity and insight both Ladder Only runeword? even players in NL have tons dupe runes, they can't make themself an infinity or insight right?

to get a 4OS polearm, do I have to find normal polearm first then use cube to roll for 4os? or they can be find in cow level without MF?

15. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Yes Infinity and Insight are ladder only runewords, so they can't be created in NL. This is why when the last ladder season was ending alot of people made many ladder only runewords, so they could use them as currency in NL.

Polearms will spawn plain (no sockets) or with a random number of sockets. So yes you can find socketed polearms while questing through the game, you don't need to use the cube recipe on a plain one.

16. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Sorry about that, I forgot that both Insight and infinity are ladder only:embarassed:

As far as 4 os spear/polearms i find them rather common in NM cows.
    Just an important note when hunting for OS items: have as little MF as possible!

I find a 4 os Partizan about every 4 cow runs (1 player game)

17. synx

synx Diablo: IncGamers Member

My chain lightning is quite mana heavy :cry:

18. hacgumyu

hacgumyu IncGamers Member

2 SOJs should solve your problem

19. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Odds of 2 SoJ being dropped are much lower than getting the runes and polearm to make an Insight.
    And with insight, any decent amount of mana will basically make all your spells free.

20. litokrn

litokrn IncGamers Member

hmm the cold immunities do end up rushing me so i think im going with holy freeze
    unfortunately, i needa trade for an insight on NL...expensive >.<