Sorc build (need help)

McGruber08

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm interested in building a powerful MF sorc and I would like to request some advice and tips. I've been looking on YouTube but there is so many builds I am unsure of what to make. I started with the idea of a Fire/Cold sorc, I see there are a few builds varying from Fireball/Meteor & Frozen orb/Blizzard combinations. Since the cold tree takes time to become a good build I started off as a Fire/Lightning build and will reset when I get better gear.

I am now level 61, and this is what I have so far.

Weapon 1: Chromatic Ire (+3 sorc skills, +1 to each tree - doesn't stack though)
Weapon 2: Lightning tree orb (decent) + Lidless Wall shield with P/diamond
Frostburn gauntlets
Tal Rasha's belt
Armor: Haemosu's Adament
Ring: Bloodmaster (9% Lightning resist, 18% poison resist)
Ring: Shadow Eye (15% Lightning resist, 19% fire resist)
Amulet: Plague Eye (44% cold resist, 15% resist all other elements, 14% mf) +1 Druid skills unfortunately

Various charms that are mostly resists and hit recovery giving me a total of 58% hit recovery. I've decent resists in Hell mode, nothing great. 35-50% at best. Poison is a bit low though.

I'm only on Hell Mode Act 1, Quest 2 with her. I'd like to be able to use her for Lower Kurast Hell mode chest looting (eventually).

#1. Should I just keep doing Nightmare Andariel and Meph until I have better gear to move forward?

#2. Should I go Fire/Cold or just one element?

Thank you!!

Last edited:

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Why no Spirit runeword sword?
armor you can make a smoke armor, gives good resistances or Stealth for some nice faster cast rate

some swear by Blizzard (cold only build) and some by dual element build (fireball and frozen orb is perhaps the most popular hybrid) for the questing part of the build. Once you reach act 2 in hell, you can farm Ancient Tunnels with the blizzard build until your eyes bleed.

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Are you using ladder runewords? If so you should get a ‘Spirit’ sword ASAP; that alone will help any build quite a bit compared to your current weapons. But running those targets for a few upgrades wouldn’t hurt - aim for things like Skin of the Vipermagi armor; one or two decent finds are all you’ll need to advance much more easily.

2. Since this character is untwinked, I would go cold/fire as you will not have a strong enough merc to kill immunes for you. Later on once you are better geared you could switch to pure Blizzy to really get some efficient mfing and leveling in, but you’ll probably have an easier time as dual element for now. Two of the most well-balanced are the meteorb and blizzballer. One example build would look like:

Meteorb:
20 frozen orb
20 cold mastery
20 meteor
20 fireball
1 fire mastery
1 each warmth, static, tk, and tp.
=build “complete” at level 83; remaining points can be used to boost whatever skills feel weakest to you.

Only level 61 in hell? Did you use the /playersx command in norm or nm to level up faster? I would definitely spend some time in nm farming gear and xp at least until your level is in the low 70s. Personally I would also respec into a meteorb right now and max frozen orb and cold mastery because that skill alone destroys any non-CI target in NM easily.

McGruber08

Diabloii.Net Member
drmalawi :

I kind of forgot about Spirit cause I knew I needed a good hell mode shield like a Monarch to build it and I only recently got to hell mode.

Should I be looking for a particular one or just a regular white monarch to socket? What I mean is do look for a grey socketed one or a 'superior monarch'

BTW I seen something called E-Bug armor which seems to be armor that you use gems with in the Cube to upgrade the quality. Is that a good idea for a monarch or Dusk Shroud?

The Smoke armor I heard of but never thought to use. I'll look it up and see about building it! Thanks for the great help!

*** does SPIRIT sword and shield stack on +2 sorc skills? I'm guessing No they don't.

Last edited:

McGruber08

Diabloii.Net Member
jonnyphive :

1. Yes I'm using ladder only rune words. I will start hunting for a a shield and armor to make Spirit and Smoke ASAP. Years ago I found Skin of the Vipermagi all the time. Can't find a single one lately but I'll keep a look out.

2. Thanks, I'll start Fire/cold around level 70 and level up in nightmare some more. Thanks for the build tips!

** yeah I died lots on some bosses to get to to hell mode a bit early. Kept pots all over the ground especially on the ancients. That was frustrating at level 50 Nightmare. Teleport and fireball and pick up pots and hope for the best. Tried MF in Act 1 hell with mf gear and low resists/defense. Some monster picks me off with a quill almost off screen in 2 shots! drives me crazy but my own fault I suppose. I'll touch base again when I gear up! TY

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
*** does SPIRIT sword and shield stack on +2 sorc skills? I'm guessing No they don't.
1. Yes, they stack
2. Spirit has +2 all skills, not sorc skills, so it will boost not just your native skills, but also any oskills like on the runewords Call to Arms or Passion
3. Spirit sword is MUCH easier to make and use, as any 4 socket sword will do...

WoRG

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Should I be looking for a particular one or just a regular white monarch to socket? What I mean is do look for a grey socketed one or a 'superior monarch'

BTW I seen something called E-Bug armor which seems to be armor that you use gems with in the Cube to upgrade the quality. Is that a good idea for a monarch or Dusk Shroud?
Regular 4socket monarch is good enough.

Why do you want to use ethereal items? :p

McGruber08

Diabloii.Net Member
Is that what e-bug is? Ethereal?
I thought it just changes quality of item.

Now I need to find the easiest ways to get a monarch and a dusk shroud for Smoke.
Can't do hell cows, no where near end of hell mode. Just un act 1.
Nightmare cows or baal maybe? Ty

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
E-bug refers to using the cube recipe to socket ethereal armors (I am about 95% sure it applies to all armor types - helms, shields, body armor - but I know for certain it applies to body armor); if you do this to an ethereal armor, it applies an additional 50% defense bonus on top of the 50% ethereal bonus. The extra 50% is unintended, hence it is a bug. But, it is a bug in the game that doesn't make a huge difference for most things and it's the only non-Larzuk way to socket plain ethereal items so it's a generally accepted practice. It also only applies to merc items 95% of the time because there are few indestructible armor runewords that would make an ethereal base appropriate for the player character.

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
Speaking of bugs, watch out for high-HP fire enchanted (FE) mobs in NM... the FE bug was only fixed in Hell so e.g. Geleb Flamefinger's death explosion is a OHKO for most untwinked characters in NM A3. Can be very frustrating playing HC when a bug gets you killed! I lost a fanazealot to that bug recently; I was fighting the NM council and although I stayed clear of Geleb, Toorc had FE as one of his random mods and his death explosion/nova killed me instantly.

McGruber08

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the tips. Best places to find a monarch though besides Hell cows ..? ( I hear pits are good for socketables )

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
Pits are mostly good because they can drop socketables of any qlvl (such as high level items including berserker axes (qlvl 85), great poleaxes (qlvl 84), and archon plates (qlvl 84), for example); on the other hand, monarchs are qlvl 72 so they can be found in many more areas. I would suggest going anywhere with an area level (alvl) of 72 or above; that ensures that all normal mobs in that area can potentially drop monarchs. Although hell cows is certainly a good area for this, you can find many much easier zones that still have potential. Starting with the Inner Cloister in A1 hell, virtually every area you encounter will be of a high enough alvl for normal mobs (and champions and uniques of course) to drop monarchs. Many of the earlier dungeons in A1 are of a high enough alvl as well. I would suggest having a look at the list of alvls here, and pick an area: 1) with favorable spawns for your build, 2) with good mob density - areas with fallen camps, for example), and 3) that you can run relatively efficiently and safely at as high of a players setting as possible for your current build strength. Higher players setting = more drops. Finally, the less mf you have, the higher proportion of items that drop that will be white or gray rather than magic/rare/set/unique. If you were a higher level or had better gear, I would suggest going straight to an area with an alvl of 85 (such as Pits, Mausoleum, Ancient Tunnels) for the chance of better finds overall, but your merc's survival will suffer immensely if he is underleveled in those areas.

Edit: I seem to recall previously having a discussion with some others that revealed that the alvl/qlvl relationship isn't quite as cut and dry as I made it out to be in this post; to be on the safe side you may want to start with alvl 75 or so unless someone else confirms the minimum needed for monarchs to drop.

Also, once you get this gal wrapped up and kill Hell Baal, consider posting a(n) (re?)introduction / mat thread :).

Last edited:

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
Corpsefire (Den of Evil) and Bonebreaker (the Crypt) are among the superuniques with the best chance (1:306) to drop Monarchs, and they're both early in ActI

Skeletons and Hungry Dead in the Burial Grounds are among the regular mobs that have the best odds, and that's also early in ActI (and you have to go there if you run Bonebreaker, so...)

As suggested, high /psettings and no MF are optimal for getting white/grey bases

WoRG

ducko

Diabloii.Net Member
I think you have way too little mf in your build. I don't think hitting fcr BP is a major concern at the moment. Sorc are generally quite item independent, so you can stack mf items whilst still surviving hell.

When my old blizzer hit hell, I think I was using

Gull
2 topaz helm
Viper
Rhyme shield
Gold wrap
Random agical mf glove
Random magical mf boots
Random magical mf ammy
Nagel + random magical ring

It was good enough to get me to hell act 3 which I stayed for quite a while to upgrade my levels and gear via meph and AT.

Soon enough I got my occy, shako, Nagel and travs, while also finding many other s/u for other builds. Personally I wouldn't get spirit monarch because of the strength requirements, unless you really need it for fcr BP to run LK or something.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Corpsefire (Den of Evil) and Bonebreaker (the Crypt) are among the superuniques with the best chance (1:306) to drop Monarchs, and they're both early in ActI
Superuniques don't drop plain items?

@McGruber08 just run pits, ancient tunnels etc and Monarch will drop. If you get a white one, you can try to roll 4 sockets in the cube (50% chance to get 4)

McGruber08

Diabloii.Net Member
The gear setup is for monarch hunting. I have a 3 p/topaz socketed light plate, gold wrap, bagel ring and luck and chance boots and gloves that get me around 180-220 mf depending on combo I use.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I wouldn't focus too much on finding a single, particular item. that's usually a waste of time. A spirit monarch is worth only a certyin amount of attention. You might miss other good loot while looking for that one in particular. I'm probably telling this story for the fifth time or so, but before I found a 0 or 4 socket monarch, I had ones with 1-3 sockets, ethereal, magical, rare ones and even a Stormshield. I also finished Tal's whole set and found a high rune or two before I had a Spirit monarch. That was bad luck, of course... or hmm, perhaps it was extraordinary good luck with respect to the other stuff!

BTW, a monarch has a strength requirement of 156, so it might not be a good idea to invest that much into an otherwise useless stat before level 70 or so. At low levels, Spirit is excellent in a sword, probably better than anything you have yet, in particular together with a shield like the Rhyme runeword.

As your sorc is wearing Tal's belt she must be level 53 at least. That's time to switch to blizzard! You should be able to do nightmare Meph runs with her while wearing lots of MF stuff... or you better find a way through nightmare quickly and make Ancient Tunnel runs until your fingers bleed. Blizzard will be good enough for that area, no matter what gear you have, so wear as much MF gear as you can and perhaps a bit lightning protection. In addition, you can sneak or teleport past everything until hell Mephisto who is an excellent provider of a healthy selection of unique and set items.

Small correction:

Weapon 1: Chromatic Ire (+3 sorc skills, +1 to each tree - doesn't stack though)
That staff doesn't add +1 to each tree, but +1 to each mastery which are three skills, one per tree.