Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorc Build: Hydra/Orb viable?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by HeX-CuRsE, Feb 26, 2004.

1. HeX-CuRsE

HeX-CuRsE IncGamers Member

Sorc Build: Hydra/Orb viable?

I'm planning on making a hydra/orb sorc ... for dueling and mfing

20 orb
    20 Cm
    20 Hydra :drink:
    20 FM
    5 warmth
    1 shiver armor
    1 to tele and tele

Orb will be my main skill..because I think it can kill in hell pretty well....but the main thing is this. Hydra has always been good for dueling but can it kill CI's in hell? orb = main skill hydra = backup/CI killer. Will this build work? I think it will :flip: Your thoughts plz....

2. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Sounds viable for PvP, though i'm no PvPer but both Orb and Hydra are cast and forget it skills...Orb being the screen killer, and Hydra being the equivalant of a Sin's Traps.

You'd deftinitely need some FCR for the tping, and some good blocking for meleer's.

Sounds viable for PvP...and I'm sure hydra can handle some CI's with a maxed Fire mastery

-X

3. JustGotOwned

JustGotOwned IncGamers Member

Just remember with hydra the dmg shown is per spit as orb is dmg per shard. . .and once you get 5 hydras going things tend to die pretty quick.

4. ondoval

ondoval IncGamers Member

I've got one of that build, and she really sucks compared to a meteorb in PvM (she's lvl 80 by the way). Hydra is just not good enough in PvM I think. Just thought you would want to know.

5. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I have a level 89 Orb/Hydra. My Hydra kicks out over 1,000 damage per "spit" (as another poster so graphically described). Believe me it kills in hell, cause hell is the only place this Sorceress plays. I don't do the pvp thing, but pvm is cool.

I gotta say too that meteor is about the coolest spell in the game. I just don't like the fact that it doesn't aim itself (like Hydra) and you gotta becareful with your aim. But it does kick butt!

Just thought you'd want to know

Masa

6. HeX-CuRsE

Alas.....I have a meteor/orb sorc at the moment my friends. Lvl 76 . doing pretty well but she makes me drool on my keyboard after putting me to sleep waiting for my meteor to fall.....and after that I have to tp to revive my flippin merc cause the meteor didnt hit the CI fast enough...and its not like my fball does jack diddly squat yet anyway ... being lvl 76. Yes met/orb OwNZ but I was looking for a simplier build..and Someone that can own in Pvp so this build looks like the answer :thumbsup: Thx all and if anyone else wants to add on to this go right ahead. By the way an off topic question.......
    Who is better for quick mf runs? Hell Andy or NM Meph? (Not rdy for hell meph or pindle yet)

PS: masakerr....How well can u take out CI's? And what merc do u like the best..if u use a merc

7. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Hydra is fairly limited in pvp because when you tele off your hydra's screen it will disappear, and if you try and stay you will probably die.

8. HeX-CuRsE

The Hydra dissapears? ok....never heard that one before. I'll have to test it :scratch: I still think hydras great for pvp tho. If this is true tho....I guess my orb will be dueling for me and hydra will be taking on CI's.

9. JabberMonkey

JabberMonkey IncGamers Member

I currently have a Hydra/Orb sorc on Hardcore Ladder. She seems to do fine, and at level 80 she's soloed her way to Act 4/Hell. I agree that meteor packs a heavier punch, but being hardcore I find that hydra is a helluva lot safer. Btw, my skill distribution matches yours. Gearwise I'm wearing Tals set minus helm (went with harlequin), Silkweaves, Stormshield, and Frostburns. I have max block on the shield and just under 1k for hitpoints. Hydra does fine in single and two player games, but I don't expect it to do much in a full game. I'm strictly PvM so I couldnt tell you much about Pvp.

10. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

Every now and then I come across and freak that is both cold and fire immune. So then it's totally up to my Barb Merc. I'll get as close as necessary and static the little bugger to half life and let the Merc do the rest. Usually this little freak of the realm is not alone, so I'm busy making sure the Merc only takes him on.

Hydra is cool, but it too is a slow spell. I figure I just shouldn't be in a hurry when I'm out there. To be honest, even though Hydra is maxed and fire mastery is maxed, I use Orb as the main attack. It's just faster and it covers a lot of ground.

When doing the Mausolem (or any area of the game with rooms) If I've "spotted" a boss in the room who is not fire immune I'll back out and drop hydras in there and wait for the body to explode.

I like the Barb Merc cause he just runs in and starts hitting things. Some of the other Merc's have to be coxed or manuvered into position for them to get going. I can't be goofing off in hell. The Merc needs to be the tank!

Masa

11. HeX-CuRsE

Thx much all. So what ur saying is hydra should only be used for CI's and a good range atk. Just what I want. i would like to know more about it pvp tho. It sound like a plan. Thx all. one more thing does the hydra really dissapear when u teleport off the screen? I never knew that.....Does it?

12. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

I don't think thats true but if you go to town (portal) hydras will dissapear.