Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Somewhat noob Assassin questions

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by JaneLane, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JaneLane

JaneLane IncGamers Member

Somewhat noob Assassin questions

I only played one character previously, an orb Sorceress. This was years ago though, and most of what I knew of the game has been forgotten. She was maybe level 85ish with some okay gear, doing Hell Diablo and Baal runs mostly for fun.

The mystery of the splash images and possibility of it being Diablo 3 (so glad it was ^^) made me think about the good times I had, so I started up again.

I wanted a melee character this time around, and decided Assassin over Amazon for the cool claws and fast attacks.

I'm used to playing MMOs like EQ and Vanguard, so I like my melee characters to mostly melee without all the bells and whistles that other classes get, so I decided (maybe for the worst?) to limit my Assassin to the Blade traps, melee Shadow and Shadow Warrior/Master skills. Elemental attacks are cool and all, but if I have them I want them to come from my equipment and not my mana, if that makes sense.

So far, at level 20, I have my points in:

Martial Arts: 0 (will never allocate any points here)

Shadow:
    Claw Mastery 4
    Psychic Hammer 1 (will not use, just a pre-requisite)
    Burst of Speed 5
    Weapon Block 4
    Cloak of Shadows 1 (will not use, just a pre-requisite)
    Shadow Warrior 1

Traps:
    Fire Blast 1 (will not use, just a pre-requisite)
    Blade Sentinel 1
    Wake of Fire 1 (will not use, just a pre-requisite)
    Blade Fury 1

I'd been using the normal attack with Burst of Speed and the Blade traps and my Shadow. Planned on maxing Claw Mastery, Weapon Block and either Burst of Speed or Venom with the last points put into a Blade trap, Shadow Master and maybe some Fade.

Does that sound viable for soloing Hell? Is a maxed Burst of Speed or a maxed Venom more useful? Is the Shadow Master worth dumping all those points in? How should I allocate my Blade Trap points?

And finally.. what about the stat points? Should I put any into str, dex or energy? Or should they all just be vit?

2. JaneLane

JaneLane IncGamers Member

Re: Somewhat noob Assassin questions

Oh yeah, I don't want to use a shield and would prefer to not have to use Fade very often, are there equipment choices I could make to fix my resists in Hell?

3. Burn-X

Burn-X IncGamers Member

I think maxing Venom will be better than maxing BoS simply because if you are ignoring the MA tree, it will be your only source of additional damage from skills. You can increase your movement and attack speed from items fairly easily anyway.

Points in Shadow Master will definitely help by distracting monsters and even killing some of them in the process. More so if you stick with your decision to not use CoS, but I highly suspect that once you reach Hell, you'll change your mind :)

I recently made a C/C Sin myself which you can read here. Some pointers from that thread that I've learnt thanks to the helpful people on this forum:

1. No need to max WB, unless you want to get 60% block rate at Slvl26.

2. Though Venom damage is good, it won't be killing mosnters fast enough especially in Hell. You'll need a good merc.

If you are playing without end gear waiting for you, then you'll need to invest maybe over 100 or so points into both STR and DEX (claws require same amount of STR and DEX). Once you are certain you can equip all your gear in whatever combination, then you can put all your points into Vit and no points into NRG as your build isn't mana intensive.

P.S - AR will be a big problem for you if you remain using normal attack. I suggest you get Dragon Claw for the AR boost.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  4. liteblizzard

liteblizzard Banned

if you want pure meele you should at less put a few in 1 on the Martial Arts maybe dragon talon or claw blades of ice ect,,, whatever really just read thu them all and see what woulds better, do more dam than normal attack