Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sometimes, I miss Germany and then I remember.......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by olie0923, Mar 26, 2005.

1. olie0923

olie0923 IncGamers Member

Sometimes, I miss Germany and then I remember.......

Pretty much as the title says. Sometimes I miss Germany but then I remember that I left there to come home. Home being back to the U.S. and North Carolina.

I was in Kitzingen, Germany for 2 years while I was in the Army and had a lot of good times. About the biggest thing I regret about being there was not doing more traveling. I did travel in Germany a bit but not outside of Germany (other than going to The Netherlands).

I can see why people that live in Europe in general like it b/c there is so much to see and do. Especially in the up and coming months. All of the festivals and stuff. Man, that was a blast.

And the Bier!!!!!! Gotta love that hefe. Hefe Wies is by far my most favoritest wonderfullest drink. I think God (the great creator, or whatever you believe in) brought it down himself/herself. I wish I could get a hefe on tap somewhere around here!

Can't forget some of the concerts. One of the funnest I went to while in Germany was Full Force 6. 3 days of drunken fun. Not to mention all of the punk and hardcore bands playing.

Plus the people were pretty friendly. I found out that even if you couldn't speak german well, as long as you made an attempt they were even nicer. They would laugh and then most of the time speak to you in english/american.

I spent a couple of cool New Years there too. The one going from 98 to 99 was spent at the castle in Wurzburg and it was a pretty cool site. Overlooking the city with all those people around was cool. The city almost look like a little warzone. Then when 12 hit, everyone was passing beer and whatever around, kissing, hugging.......it was just cool. Then going from 99 to 2000 we went to Schweinfurt with the intention of going to the castle but they had it closed off. So we went down to the main square and hooked up with some guy that had 3 grocery bags of fireworks. That was pretty fun but I think I had a little more fun the year before.

Then the history you get to check out. We went to the castle that was home of the Tuetonic Knights. That was real interesting and the city was awesome.

Oh well, I'm done rambling and wasting time at work for now. I know some of you probably live/lived there or have visited. What are some of the things you like about it or miss?

2. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

ah, sucks man.

i want to visit Germany some day... not sure why, i love the language and wish they would offer it at my school, but they dont :mad:

3. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

dunno but i live in north carolina O_O, what city are you in?

@ germany, i believe a couple of my friends who take german were taken on a trip to germany .. the class is really small. they liked it pretty much. thats pretty cool how you got to see all the castles and knightsies and stuff. and beer .. thats cool too. :D

i think their language is neat, i have fun talking to my friends (i only know guten tag and mornen) in crude, improvised german.

sounds like the festivals were pretty neat - beer and fireworks. which one was your favorite? describe please, i may not have heard of it. :rolleyes:

4. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Guiness and Steinlager own.

Anyway, I want to go to Germany to drive...go go no speed limit!

5. olie0923

olie0923 IncGamers Member

I live near Greenville.

As far as my favorite fest.......probably the Killiani Festival (I doubt if I spelled it right) in Wurzburg. It was pretty cool. I enjoyed it more than I did Oktober Fest. I was rather disappointed with Oktober Fest. If I remember right, it closed down at 10 or 11 pm, which is not what I expected. Although the bars in Munchen kind of helped to even it out.

Driving over there was kind of fun. We made it from Kitzingen, Germany to Amsterdam in about 4 hours with a stop and that's about 400 miles (if I remember right).

6. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

You're right about that. Great beer. They sell it at the student pub down on the corner. I might drink one tonight actually, and send you a prayer, out there in no beer land.

Couldn't you import it. If you're a regular at some bar you could nag the owner until he imports a few hundred bottles. I'm sure he'd hava an easy time selling it if you convince your friends it's the stuff. Organize a petition or something.

I've only driven through Germany and flown over it. I slept through most of my drive through Germany (on a bus, schooltrip) and only got off the bus once for a smoke and to buy some beer to put me back to sleep. I really didn't see anything but huge roadside stores and a couple of beeches (I think).

When I get a license for motorcycles I might ride down to Prague via Germany, or just go for a tour of Germany. I'd like to see the south of Germany, and see it properly.

7. Damnatorius

Damnatorius IncGamers Member

ahhh Germany....fun times, first time I ever got drunk was in Berlin on a schooltrip, didn't drink much of the german beer though, to my regret now, because I started experimenting with liqour there :confused:
    Ohh well, easy enough to go over there for me luckily, living in the netherlands, plenty of german beer for sale here anyway I guess, although its mainly the cheaper brands

8. SassyChickyMomma

SassyChickyMomma IncGamers Member

WELL! if you miss it SOOOOOOOO much, why don't we just move there??? LOL
    *(just playing, i only say that b/c i know you expect me to!)*
    actually i would love to go, be it to visit or live there (short term, not forever). i love the language, the architecture and RAMMSTEIN ROCKS!! :p

9. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I go to Stuttgart pretty much every year, good times.

10. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

NC suxxors :eek:

11. ozz109

ozz109 IncGamers Member

My Brother and a few friends are doing a roadtrip in the Summer around Europe going to Germany, France, Spain, Sweeden, Netherlands, Italy, Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Poland i don't think they have decided how far east there going yet, They should come back with some good stories and pictures.

12. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Guinness is from Ireland.

13. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

meh are u in nc also?

im in durham btw olie

14. SassyChickyMomma

SassyChickyMomma IncGamers Member

have you seen the movie EUROTRIP?? ROTFLMAO!!! :D :p
    if your bro & his friends come back with stories even a third that funny, you will need stitches!
    *(let me just say one word: "ABSYNTH")* Doh! :eek:

15. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

how'd you guess?

16. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

I was stationed in Bremerhaven for about 2 1/2 years...those were good times. The only bad thing was that when I was there (1981-1983) was when Reagan was pushing the Soviets on the IRBM treaty, and he was stationing cruise missles and Pershing II's throughout Germany and the rest of Europe.

My job was working at the radio site that maintained the radio channels to the missle sites, so I had to watch out for the anti-nuke crowd. There was more than one time that I ran from a crowd of protesters to keep from being beaten to death.

However, aside from that threat, I thought it was great: best beer (Ableschloss Einbecker) and best hash I've ever had in my life. The German people were great as long as there wasn't the missle thing going on.

At that age I had the ability to chug MASSIVE amounts of beer....won a lot of bets from Germans by chugging a 3 liter "boot" of the local brew. They always paid up with a smile, and then wanted to buy me ANOTHER beer afterwards...

Went to many concerts at the StatHalle in Bremen....not much difference between concerts there and concerts here, except watching Jerry Garcia trying to speak Deutch...

Oh yeah, prostitution is legal.....a big deal to GI's....

I had a Eurorail pass.....that was a big deal. Since I worked a 3 days on/3 days off type of job I would often go to the Bahnhoff and jump on the next train going anywhere.....take the ride, drink with the locals and come back.

Once I overslept on the return ride, missed my station and wound up in Denmark, with only Marks and Dollars in my pocket on a Sunday, and 8 hours to make it back before I was FTR....that wasn't fun, most expensive train ride I ever had (exchanged dollars for kroners straight across).