Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

something wrong with my D2?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Superhal, May 28, 2005.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

something wrong with my D2?

I'm getting really sick of battle.net's realm downs, so i tried to play a little SP. however, for some reason, I can only create 1 character. I tried to install "upgrade to full version" from the CD, but still nada (i already have .10 installed off bnet.) also, i noticed that if i try to either join a tcip game or host one (usually i would only do so to reset the map), it takes a super long time to load, with the red bar appearing across the bottom (which never happens in bnet games.) i tried joining an open game with my sp char, and i got a "corrupted file" (or something) message.

so, my question is, how can i have more than one character in SP?

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Obvious question - have you got enough hard disc space remaining?

I've never seen this problem before. The 'Upgrade to Full version' just puts the movie (edit: and music) files onto your HDD, nothing else. The time to start up a TCP/IP game... it shouldn't take that long, even if you're on dialup - about 30secs maximum.

The 'corrupt file' message may occur if the character you're using is from a modded game - but that wouldn't affect anything else.

The only other thing I can suggest is a reinstall, in the hopes that that fixes things... sorry I can't be of more help :(

3. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

also it is considered "tainting" a sp character by joining the open realm, so if you want to trade or mp with us stay away from open bnet

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

shade, a D2 character file takes up 1kb. If he was that low of HDD space i think he would have noticed by now... :rolleyes:
    Anyway, the corrupted character is caused usually by using a modded character or item in normal D2. Since you said it only happened when you tried tojoin a open bnet game, it may also be that the person hosting is using a mod that your character is not compatible with.
    You should be able to have more than 1 character in SP, otherwiase that would be cruel. Try reinstalling the whole game (classic and LOD) and it should work fine.

5. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

I would also suggest a full uninstall reinstall of D2 and LoD. If that doesn't fix it, then something else is going on.

6. Superhal

main thing though is that i am supposed to be able to have more than one char, right?

7. TheWormishOne

TheWormishOne IncGamers Member

Yes. You're supposed to be able to have as many as you'd like.

I can't really imagine what could be causing such a bizzare problem, but I'd go with the sollution that has allready been suggested (re-installing.)

8. Superhal

yeah it's really weird, the 'create character" button is greyed out, when i delete the one i made and make a new one, it's still greyed out.

9. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

YAY Microsoft! I can't think of anything else to contribute, so I say we should blame Bill Gates.

10. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

check for trojans and maleware if you find none do a reinstallation and try to create new chars once more. I have had as many as 20 chars at the same time so there is no limit that i know of.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

blame someone other than durf? i dont see the logic there....
    And i dont think spyware and viruses could do this, it would have to be a virus aimed specifically at stopping you creating more than 1 character in diablo 2. Thats a prety specific virus, most of them tend to be 'screw up your PC, give me your credit card number etc etc.....
    And there is no limit to the number of characters displayed in the character screen, only how many you can fit onto your HDD.

12. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

the check for trojans and maleware tips was more because it would keep his/her computer safe.Its always nice to have a safe computer:)

ohh and chars can be corrupted by other means then mods, but if one would use such programs you would commonly end up with trojans too.

13. parawizard

parawizard IncGamers Member

Trojans and Viruses open files via Fopen then write and scramble the files internals. If they are programmed to do that. Viruses can do anything because they are made in the same native programming language that your windows application and windows itself is made from. They can do anything the programmer wants them to do. [/Sorta Off Topic]

Have you reinstalled yet sir?

14. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Yah, bizzare.

Reinstall that baby and it will be all good.

You can have as many chars as you like/manage. I've got ~ 8-9 on the go in various stages of development like pretty much every person on this board does.

Don't forget to try Tenshi's ATMA. You may never go back to bnet. :thumbsup:

BTW, weren't you the Barbarian mod - at least for awhile? Maybe not ... my memory is going so I don't trust myself.