Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bug Something wrong with my computer

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by xen, Aug 25, 2017.

1. xen

xen Diabloii.Net Member

I wonder if someone can assist me here.

I have a computer system comprised of an AM2+ motherboard, Phenom II CPU, DDR2 memory and Windows 10.

I have in fact 2 such motherboards but this comes later.

I don't remember how Diablo performed on my older systems.

But it's not Diablo, it's all games. All games experience stutter at certain intervals. This is not "regular" but it happens now and then. Often enough that you can say it always happens.

So I am talking about Diablo 2, Diablo 3 and Overwatch.

Both Diablo 2 and 3 have the same kind of 'stutter' where the game freezes for a slight second.

In Diablo 2 this is not that bad that it renders the game unplayable, in Overwatch it kinda is.

I have factually:

- exchanged the CPU several times
    - exchanged the motherboard with a different AM2+ chipset.
    - exchanged the graphics card with a different brand.
    - exchanged the monitor and the monitor connection method (VGA/DVI -> HDMI)
    - exchanged the RAM with other DDR2 memory unfortunately also running at 800 MHz
    - even installed Windows 10 fresh on a SSD with the regular harddisk not connected.

The only thing I have not changed is the PSU.

At first I was completely blaming Overwatch and... I don't know. But recently I have been playing Diablo 2 a lot and... this stutter is always there.

Most usually when something "bigger" happens like a big skill or moment is activated and at that precise moment the game will halt for a second. Well smaller than a second, but still very noticable. Not that it endangers my hardcore character, but it does so on Overwatch of course.

But the interesting part about Diablo is that it has an fps counter with "frames dropped" information and also a much less demanding game.

So how on earth can my system with all components replaced keep exhibiting the same behaviour in Windows 10, unless:

- it is a Windows 10 problem
    - it is a Windows 10 problem with my chipsets (both AMD 770/SB600 and nVidia nForce 570 Ultra -- not that these precise chipsets matter at this point)
    - the PSU is faulty that I've had since forever and never had a problem with before (at least not during all of my WoW gameplay -- but I haven't tested WoW recently).

I have tried running Diablo 2 in Windows XP or 7 compatibility mode but no difference.

So I have a GTX 950 and a R9 380 that both should be running fine and have been running fine in another system. Unless, again, there is an issue with the motherboard chipset combination with these cards. The only thing I can try is take an older GT 640 out of the box and see what happens.

Not feasible for Overwatch, but certainly for testing Diablo.

I have tested multiplayer and single player, same thing.

My biggest question to you now is:

My FPS is displayed at 25 but there is also a figure of 19-20 frame drop. Is this normal?

2. xen

xen Diabloii.Net Member

So I realized that the FPS display is actually caused by single player, my bad.

I found a link detailing settings for Diablo 3 where someone changed the "performance" setting for their game in the nVidia control panel from "power optimized" to "max performance". Maybe that will do a trick for Overwatch also. We'll see.

But right now testing the other older graphics card. I don't see much difference that I know about. There is still some micro-stutter now and then, I mean while walking over clear terrain the character wilt freeze for a slight fraction of a second and often when changing area there is a slight hickup. It is hard to say for sure but I don't think anything changed.

Also a bit hard to test in single player with a new character.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  3. Jmababa

Jmababa Diabloii.Net Member

It's your PC get a better one or downgrade from windows 10 to windows 7. Windows 10 is not made for Phenom it's only up to windows 7 32 bit not even sp1 your pc is so old. Try getting minimum of A5 series PC so you won't lag in games

4. xen

xen Diabloii.Net Member

Well it's a 64-bit processor of course. I don't really think the CPU is the problem but what makes it worse is the chipsets of the motherboard that have no new drivers and the fact that it is DDR2 memory.

I tried to upgrade to 1066 MHz memory but both motherboards failed to accept it at that frequency, the Asus works but is unstable at 1066 because it can't deliver the voltage, and the Abit will just not work. Even though both are supposed to support the memory speed. Really annoying.

I was thinking of installing Windows 7 on the SSD just to test.

So I changed the nVidia setting to "Performance" instead of "Power optimized". And even though Diablo II still does the stalling thing, Overwatch itself definitely has seen a performance boost!!!

I can honestly say that I see a lot more frames when I die! ;-).

But I haven't tested the other Mobo properly yet.

But yeah the annoying thing is that the chipset (SB600) is too old for the latest AMD drivers. I think from SB700 upwards there are recent drivers, so the motherboard is really too old.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think your computer isn't suited well enough for Windows 10. Yes, it will work, but it sucks, e.g. because of the "stuttering". It means that your computer is 100% busy from time to time, e.g. because the CPU has too much work to do.

I'm not sure about your financial situation, but perhaps you are investing too many efforts into that old computer. Apart from the money for the replecement components, how much could you have earned by working for the same amount of time as you spent on all this?

6. xen

xen Diabloii.Net Member

Well as a programmer I do know that this is just bad programming.

To be 100% busy on 4 cores totalling 4x 2.6 GHz is a bit much don't you think. But anyway I don't wanna sound ghastly.

You are right I am wasting time. I was planning to buy new gear and then Overwatch tech support basically lured me into testing more equipment because they kept saying "It should work". At that point I ordered --- yes this is very stupid --- I ordered a new (old) motherboard and after ordering I realized that I was meant to order new stuff first.

But then I was afraid... Silly isn't it, that I wouldn't get a chance on this secondary old motherboard again because it was only €15 whereas normally they are sold for €30 or more, so I went along with it, when the entire purchase was really a mistake.

So now I am still stuck with troubleshooting this.

Because of an error in my mind basically.

My life is too ehm... not sure I can say that here, ****ed up for these things to go easily.

Basically for the mistake of doing things in the wrong order I now suffer.

I had better equipment but other stuff got in the way etc.

Not sure how to explain myself but you are right.

The problem is that I can't work and if I didn't spend time doing this I might even use that time to exit this planet ;-).

Regards.