Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Something to think about? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mouschi, Jan 31, 2004.

1. mouschi

mouschi IncGamers Member

Something to think about? Maybe?

Ok, its 3am and I'm tired. So if this post comes out a bit weird, well, I'll fix it later.

I recently took an astronomy course that was taught by what I would say is a very wise man. He put things into a certain perspective for me that no one else has been able to do. He said that there were 3 basic fields to which we can turn to answer life's questions. These 3 fields are philosophy, religion, and science. As each is pretty self-expanatory, I will not go into which field covers what. Certain questions are better suited for a certain field. However, where I see the problem is when people confuse which field is appropriate to use in the analysis of a certain question.

I would say that the most common overlap is religion and science. One cannot call any aspect of Christian creationism science due to the fact that the hypothesis (the book of Genesis) was created first, then any evidence that remotely supported it was found. This is the opposite of science.

On the flipside, religion cannot be proven by science. One cannnot use any true scientific research to prove or disprove the existence of god. Science deals with natural phenomena, and only that. God is, by its very definition, supernatural and thus outside the realm of science.

Philosophy seems to play nice with others more than science and religion though. There is a philosophy behind both religion and science, obviously. In fact, science came from under the umbrella of philosophy. We owe the scientific method to philosophy. However, I think people get confused when they hear that nothing in science is 100% true. This automatically leads them to assume that certain theories are false. Science is based on the premise that all theories and laws have the opportunity to be proven wrong, but that doesn't mean that they are wrong. No one argues with the theory of gravity, yet the (just as valid) theory of evolution is somehow false because it conflicts with religion.

I know I am missing a few points that I had meant to post in this, but I'll probably add them when I wake up. Anyway, this is just the sleepy ramblings of a guy that should have gone to bed a while ago. I am just a bit tired of people applying one field to another when they are, for lack of a better term, mutually exclusive.

G'night.

2. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

The only thing I can comment on is that there are so many different ways to "see" why and how we live. It can be so utterly clear to you that you feel that the universe has opened up to you only to find yourself absolutely lost the next day. The one thing that is good out of this is that it gets you thinking. And that is a good thing always.

3. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Satrina is God. There, we have scientific proof that God exists and plus, Satrina then proves that cats are cool and we should all love them, thus filling the philosophy part.

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

thinking isn't always a good thing, thinking can destroy you

5. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

Thinking can destroy you... if you can't keep your mouth shut, that is ;)

6. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

I'm allergic to cats, thus I don't like them.

Dj_Otaku

7. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

well, i probably only speak for myself when i say this, but i KNOW that thinking can destroy you. and not just when ur talking.

for some reason which i am not to sure of, i convinced myself that absolutely nothing is important and nothing matters. including life. im not saying im suicidal, its futile. like arbitrarily destroying a book. it didn't accomplish anything.

other side effects of this are that i destroyed most preferences i had. its hard to make choices when niether choice is better. even if its a choice between eating a steak and green beans.

those are just a few things i have done to destroy myself by thinking. im working on convincing myself gravity doesn't exist.

too much of ANYTHING is bad. including water and thinking.

8. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

“Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.â€