Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Something-gate. So beautiful. So very beautiful.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Drosselmeier, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Something-gate. So beautiful. So very beautiful.

I don't know how many of you read slashdot, but those who do might remember a news bit they ran yesterday or the day before that...

Our parliamentary election is less than two weeks away and one of the parties in our parliament is imploding! I've been forced to watch the news for hours and hours every day lately, watching this thing develop. To sum it up for those who are amused by political intrigue and fiasco:

The Peoples Party (opposition, liberal) have been caught breaking into the internal computer network of the Social Democratic Workers Party (name speaks for itself, incumbent). At first it looked like only some people from the youth section of the party were provably involved, but there were signs pointing to a more widespread involvement. Today a bunch of real names were forced to resign. One person who got the axe was the party secretary, which is the second most important position in any of our parties. That guy was a real high profile party secretary too, and a real force in the entire swedish liberal movement. He knew about the cyber crime thingie for almost half a year without doing anything more than recommend the culprit knock it off and explain to the press that from then on the party was going to play fair. The criminal did not follow his advice, but the party secretary failed to follow up on this. Yesterday he lied when he said on TV that he had no idea about these things until the story broke sunday night.

The party leader claimked yesterday that no high ranking members of the party was involved. Today we, the public, found out that he knew about the party secretary knowing for days before he made that claim. Another liar caught red handed.

Now we get to the part of the story I wish you all could see...

Tonight I saw Leijonborg, the party leader, interviewed on our biggest news program. He had the look of someone who just heard he's unknowingly eaten sapt on eggs or something. Frustration, rage, paranoia... little beads of perspiration on his forehead shimmering in the studio lighting... desperately trying to shift the blame to the social democrats for exaggerating the scandal and at the same time calling begging people to forget all about what has happened. He wants a clean campaign. Blowing their criminal activity out of proportion can only hurt democracy and increase the public's resentment of politicians, he said.

We have a traditional election campaign TV program series where the various party leaders take turns being questioned on live TV for one hour each. On thursday it's Leijonborgs turn. If that's not must see TV I don't know what is. Imagine that the watergate scandal had reached its peak during a presidential election and that Nixon had to answer questions on national TV during it. Live.

EDIT: Picture of Leijonborg from tonights TV appearance: http://img.aftonbladet.se/val2006/0609/05/leijonborgtv.jpg

:laugh:

2. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Wow. It always sucks when one party does something stupid and eliminates itself from the race. Then you're stuck with the other guys.

That's what's been happening at every level of Australian politics for as long as I've been alive...

3. Drosselmeier

There's seven parties in our parliament as of last election. Nowadays they're pretty much locked into two blocs, the left and the right. The Peoples Party belong to the right bloc which has been ahead in the polls. They have a small hard core support group in the electorate and have in recent elections managed to steal other right voters from other members of their bloc. Same thing happened to the Center party (decentralization, green, moderates) back in the seventies. There are a lot of votes floating around on the right end of the electorate. This could benefit the other members of that bloc as much as it benefits the left. It's far from certain that this will keep the right from winning.

4. CandidusMortis

CandidusMortis Banned

Are his eyebrows always like that?

5. Drosselmeier

Yeah. He's one of those guys who looks sneaky even when happy. :laugh:

6. CandidusMortis

CandidusMortis Banned

It's kinda like he's looking over his glasses, with his head turned down slightly. Or he just had an accident in his pants, not sure which one.

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Lucky you, we have all of two political parties. We used to have a third, smaller one but recently it disappeared in a puff of smoke. Now we have only a handful of seats occupied by minor party members or independents, everything else is Labour or Coalition. And the Coalition in Queensland was recently talking about amalgamating... yeah, that's what we need.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

That guy looks like Carlos Ghosn on a starvation diet. Great pic. :badteeth:

9. Drosselmeier

That's because you only elect one official per constituency. Suckers.

Hehe... you're right.

10. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

That truly is must-see TV. Keep us posted.

And it's great to have 7 options for political elections...

11. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

I vote for calling this 'Bork, Bork, Bork'-gate.

:wink3:

(first person with a pic of the Opposition Leader in a chefs hat wins).

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Pfft, doesn't matter how many we elect given hardly anyone even knows any of their names.

13. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

*calls out to a guy relaxing in an inner tube in the middle of a pond* "Hey, Mr. Prime Ministah!"

"Hey, JOHN!"

14. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I don't know if I want a party representing me that cannot properly hack into a network.

15. Drosselmeier

I don't know what most of the local politicians names are either but it has nothing to do with that. It's that stupid election system with one candidate constituensies. That crap kills small parties.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I don't think having more candidates would make any difference. People just vote on the party label next to the name, the individual candidates stand for absolutely nothing apart from toeing the party line. Partisanship FTL.

17. Drosselmeier

It does make a difference. If you only elect one person per constituency then usually the largest party will get the mandate. This kind of thing always gels into a two party system like yuu have in the US, Britain and Australia. Look at the US. Had they had proportional elections in constituencies with on average 20 people per constituency then a party which draws 5% of the voters would on average get one mandate per constituency. If only one person is elected they get none since you need a majority of the vote to do. That's why the Green Party and the Libertarians are screwed. Had the US had another election system then 5% might be enough to make it into congress.

Look at it this way...

Election results:
    Communist Party - 23%
    Industry Party - 13%
    Neo Liberals - 44%
    Nationalist Party - 15%
    Mickey Mouse Party - 5%

Under your system the Neo Liberals will win most mandates with the Communists possibly stealing some away from them in certain stronghold areas. Any given mandate goes to the party with the highest local popularity. Every once in a while a third party might be able to win a mandate or two in a few areas, but the fourth largest party would have a real hard time doing that. The smaller the party the more locally concentrated the voters must be for them to win one. If the 5% who vote for the Mickey Mouse Party are spread evenly across the country then they will never win anywhere. Their only hope is that their voters are concentrated entirely in one or a few areas so that they manage to outnumber their rivals in that area. In any constituency where the vote conforms to the averages above the Neo Libs will win.

Under our system a constituency with 20 mandates to pass out will look something like this:
    Neo Liberals: 8
    Communists: 5
    Nationalists: 3
    Industry: 3
    Mickey Mouse: 1

In some places the Mickey Mouse party might not get any mandates and in some they might get more than one, but over all it will be much easier for them to get something like 5% of the total mandate.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

We have preferential voting, so that's already taken into account.

19. Drosselmeier

That makes little difference. Preferential voting isn't always proportional. In fact, it usually isn't. It's mostly about the type of constituency. Single or multiple member.

I looked into it and it seems you use single transferrable vote and instant runoff. Of those only STV uses multiple candidate constituencies. Instant runoff does not give proportional representation and that's what you use for your house of reps. STV seems like a good system, but I read that since you have 50+ candidates on every ballot and all alternatives must be ranked about 95% of the voters use predetermined lists handed out by the parties. I don't know what the practical results of that are but I can imagine that it hurts candidates from smaller parties in constituencies with one strong candidate from a major party.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What exactly do you mean by proportional?

What's STV?

On the contrary, it encourages the bigger parties to negotiate with the smaller ones for preferences. That's pretty much the whole point. Those voting cards they hand out are the result of years of negotiations with the various parties.

It isn't a perfect system but I don't see any better alternatives. I sure don't see the benefit of having multiple candidates, you might as well just halve the size of the electorates.