Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Someone Please fill me in...(Haiti)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, Feb 24, 2004.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Someone Please fill me in...(Haiti)

I have a general idea of what is going on in Haiti, but is there a special reason why they have no military? And also, why is there a rebellion. I heard it's because of consistanly poor governement, but are there specific reasons?

2. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

From what I've gathered, there is no military because the government was worried that an organized military would revolt and take over the country. Jean-Betrand Aristide was installed as the first democratic president of Haiti, but soon became corrupt and basically allowed haiti to turn awful.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

It is the policy of the US government to back democratic leaders regardless of their failings or the will of their citizens, and so we have helped to maintain Aristide's position as president. He's been overthrown once and now he is on the verge of another coup and our government is not allowing him to be removed.

I just read a little and applied some historical knowledge to it, so I'm no expert on the subject.

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Since when did the OTF turn into freakin' CNN? Turn on the radio, pick up a newspaper, turn on your television, or go to a news website for the love of Pete. Is it that you want to know what to think or what we think? Jesus wept.

Fine, I'll give you a little taste. Aristide disbanded the military a few years back and replaced it with something called the Haitian National Police, or something like that. Reason being the military was a threat to his power.

I'll let you do the research as to why Haiti is in the mess it is. I'll give you a clue: Freed slaves, French debt, a class system, and Papa Doc.

Now go read a newspaper.

5. Devolution

Devolution IncGamers Member

Hmm that was pretty rude,

This is an off-topic forum what's wrong with talking about this?

Obviously nobody forced you to click on the link...

6. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

It is just frustrating for mac that people who are obviously curious about current events use the OTF as a research tool. There is plenty written about this waiting to be read.

7. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

maybe he lost his "maccool"?

sorry, I had to.

I really don't think the Haiti issue is all that big a deal. I read a bit about the country years ago when i went to the dominican--both the dominican and Haiti are on the same island. And it seemed to me that the country was in disarray. (haiti, not not the Dominican--they've done well). Idon't believe there is any simple reason for it. there seems ot have been a lot of political insurgence...the french left the palce a mess, and then we had to go in and help them put together a government...but clearly that didn't work, i say let the french fix this one. I mean they pretty much owe us one, with all that talk of the US just wanting oil from iraq...when it turned out they were the ones who were illegally smuggling oil out of Iraq.

8. Devolution

That goes for the majority of posts in this forum, doesn't it? Point is, by asking about it they're opening it for discussion, which is what this forum is for, right? I haven't seen a post on Haiti in awhile so I dont understand the problem.

Or is only acting goofy and joking around with people allowed on here? :p

9. Devolution

grrr double post :scratch:

10. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

It is a big deal. The factions bankrolling the rebels are drug traders. They supply guns and money. The rebels are going to take the capital. The capital with mostly government supporters. IT is going to get very bloody. If the rebels take over then the drug traders will expect to be the new leaders or be freindly with the new leaders.. And that is why it is such a big deal.

11. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Basically, in Clinton's terms, he attempted to smooth the crisis over with diplomacy. It worked a little bit, but only temporarily, and now things are back to where they were 8ish years ago.

12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Hey, I told the OP what he wanted to know and gave him other topics to research. However, it is the height of laziness, in my opinion, to ask someone a question when you could just as easily look for it yourself. Look, it's easy to find stuff on the internet.

Other than that, it's pretty much what 'Boosh said.

@tydon: by diplomacy, do mean the invasion of Haiti by U.S. troops? Sorry, that dog won't hunt. You can't blame Clinton for everything, there are limits.

13. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

It was not an invasion by U.S. tropps, that was a UN invasion.

Clinton attempted to resolve the issues without force, he threatened force, and they eventually got force, but not FROM clinton, but rather the UN. His diplomacy at getting the UN to act in Haiti worked, but as we see now, it was either not good enough, or perhaps an invasion was not the answer. Clinton wavered on Haiti, first threatening US invasion, then backing off, he might have ended the rebellion quickly had be actually backed his words, as well as shown he wouldnt put up with their BS. Instead, he delayed, and had the UN do his work.

14. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Now that I have a clue of what's happening, what does everyone think the outcome will be? Another democratic failure? Peace? A military dictatorship? Success?

15. Freemason

Freemason Banned

So what else is new? He's been rude for the past few weeks. Ever since Hellfire got banned he's been nasty to just about every conservative who won't be silenced. I think we're getting to him :lol:

Back to the subject at hand, Haiti is having another revolution for a simple reason. Aristide is corrupt and they got tired of it. Now they're going to kill him. Same poo, different day.

EDIT:
    The outcome? The UN will hem and haw until thousands have been killed. Then they'll ***** and complain that the US didn't do anything in it's back yard. Europe will blame America. And eventually it'll be the US that gets everybody calmed down. Like I said, same poo, different day.

It'll be that way until the third world gets it's act together and starts being a bunch of greedy capitalist pigs and starts screwing each other economically instead of trying to kill each other.

16. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

If y'all ever had an argument that held water, maybe. Until then, don't paint me in a corner. I'm against idiocy on both sides; it's just you guys got sehp and hellfire :scratch:

Spot on, Smeg.