Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some very important questions about the Wolfbarb!

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Dad Daniel, May 21, 2005.

1. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

Some very important questions about the Wolfbarb!

Well, i am playing on the EuHCl and i am currently developing only one character - barb based on the Wolfhowl helm. He is very very tuff one - i am just an expert in creating tank characters (maybe because i have NEVER was able to play soft core and I HATE dieng). He haves 8.5k life, 24 k def (with "chilled:" fortitude), 50 % DR , 67% blok(i will explain soon why is not maxed).... But the damage - here comes the main problem - he is not so bad at all, but it is not enough for that i want to be. In public games up to 8 players i can take care only of the ordinary monsters and the champions, against the strongest bosses and minions i am very useless for fast killing. Besides he is very fast in hit, but not at all - just 7fps (which is not very good for a werewolf - even bad i think ). The other great problem is in the block recovery rate..... Unfortunately after maxing my block (MY FHR is over 86%!) i was very bad surpised - in a big melees my barb was in a block animation very often (being the strongest tank in every party i have been till now i am supposed to be in the center of the action - like stoping a Boss group of Harvesters (bloodmoon lords and the other mean stuff of this kind), while i am shooted from everywhere by dead archers - in a big fights - more than 30 i have seen to shoot me at once, and even pumped from no less than 15 Blacksouls (i HATE this manaburn!). In such cases the semi-highdef i have is not enough, but the block rate is really anoying - so i have changed my gear and put a GA with the hope the FBR will help me. The result was - a LARGE LOOSE of damage(now i even suck against average minions and champs) and life(now is nearly 8k), and no solution of my block problem!!!! Yes - the werewolf is really fast and providing significant life bonus to a barb, BUT its block recovery rate just make me crying! Now i have done some changes to my gear to slow down my block % chance - at 67 is a little better but i am still too long time in a block situation!
    So i decided to become more balanced and to enchance my damage/persecond as maximum as possible and to remove the stupid storm! So i have some VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS. I need your help! So, I am thinking of using dual sword while being a Werewolf. I have some ideas, but i don't know is they possible or not:
    1. If i use two GRIEF rune words, is the "+damage" calculated from the two of them? The barb having a pair of swords in his hands, when is in werewolf form strikes only with the higher damage sword. But what will happend in the case of two GRIEFs ? Is it possible to have +800 damage (in a perfect case runewords) on his Werewolf feral rage attack? If the answear is "yes", what will happen if i have: PB GRIEF 30ias(6 fps)/+399damage/10-15 ed(superior) and PB GRIEF 31ias(the minimum enough WIAS for the 5fps break point)/+400damage/no Sup PB. Which weapon will become in use for determinating the actual speed of the attack??
    2. If it is not possible or is not accurate to use 2xGriefs, the other possibility is:
    In the first hand - OATH in PB - with 50% wias i will hit the 4fps break point!
    In the other hand - PB GRIEF - 31+ias/+400damage!
    If i think accurately - the weapon used to calculate the actual attack speed in the werewolf should be the OATH (210-340ed on the normal PBlade damage >> than the base damage of GRIEF PB). But in this case, what will hapend - is the +400 damage will go on the actual werewolf damage or it will have no matter because is on the weaker base damage sword?
    ( this variant is giving in advance the use of 16 lvl WoH spirit, so it also will provide significant damage).

? Is the "+damage" working with skills enhancing the %damage like the feral rage, the barb sword mastery and items with %edamage? Also is the deadly strike and the CS working on the "+damage" mode?

If these suggestions are not possible to be implement in the game, please help me to find what is the best way to create a werewolf barb with the biggest possible damage/second (without the OW option - i have created a better way to provide it!), who is not stucked continiously with the annoying block move!

2. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

1 & 2.???..Two griefs wont give you +800 dmg when either hits neither will the ias from oath be shared when dualwielding. Dmg & attack mods dont stack & apply when either hits.Besides, feral rage isnt a dualwielding attack,you hit only with the primary & no attack mod from the weapon,be it +dmg/deadly/defsense cut/ias will transfer to your primary weapon.Thats true for dualwielding attacks like ww/frenzy as well.Attack mods like ias,cb,defensecut,ow,deadly,ias etc... are never shared/stacked.Only stats & auras are.

3.Use a grief phase & shield-thats by far the best option for wolfbarb,I reckon.

Try to work on your writing skills,break the text down into chunks of paragraphs,break them further into sentences & phrases & use punctuations a bit more often.

Rik

3. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

umm wouldn't an eth upped rip, not also be great for this char? :)

4. Dad Daniel

Thank you for the advises.
    Besides i agree with your position about my lack of paragraphs, but don't speak to me like a mentor about a simple things, which i am doing better than you - like the writhing! :rolleyes:

5. Dad Daniel

You are absolutely right! :thumbsup:
    Do you have one on the EuHCL??

6. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

something that you may not have mentioned, but a bunch of actual werewolves have noticed. If you have high fhr, but no shael in your shield, you will get blocklocked a lot. If you have a shael in that stormshield, it should help you a great deal.

--welt

7. Dad Daniel

I will try this as soon as possible!
    Thank you!

8. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

no hehe sorry :p I never play HC, I can't take loosing chars I've used more than 1 minute on :D

9. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Werewolfs all ways have a very very slow block rate. When I do a werewolf I all most allways use 2 handed weapons. Just because of really slow block rate being really annoying. I wish I could say your life leech could save you but I can't. I have found that using greif I have been able to kill immue to phy with zeal, from vemon damage allmost alone. But I have also found that amp curse with a werewolf does alot better then berserking as a barb. I kill all most as quick, it is just because of the low % from chance to cast. The sec it takes effect is the second the group or monster dies.

10. Killer_sss

Killer_sss IncGamers Member

i beg to differ here the +dmg on grief phase blades is a uniq kind of dmg it is alocated to skills like smite and kicking i would tend to argue that the dmg would be thrown on to the main weapon grief the lcs has been known to lie about dmgs this may be why your confused but i may have it wrong. rtb would prolly know and so would krischan.

however i'm not quite sure this would be really good though using two grief phases yea you would get dmg but no block which means ur reling on all def and since the dmg reduction would prolly go down if your using a stormshield and u switch to two griefs i would tend to think adding a shael would be better.

oh and by the way you can talk to zero unit about the speeds but im almost certain that with a phase of 31ias or better you only get 7frames the calculator for feral rage apparently doesn't work right and feral rage has the same ias as a normal attack in the case of grief. zero unit would most likely be able to help you there.

11. xpumafangx

Ya you got a point. Any duel greif using barbs out there willing to test this? Thats the only real way to tell any ways. Most of the time I would say works like what rik is saying. I would think a fare test is to use 2 greif and use the lowest amout of skill damage able to use then use it with just 1 greif. Check the diffence with the life of who you are fighting.

12. rikstaker

Spare me the lecture on the uniqueness of grief dmg & I am the least bit confused,I know how it works/applies & doesnt display on weapon or lcs.Come to the point,are you saying two griefs would cause the dmg to stack & give the effect of +800 dmg to both weapons?.

Rik

13. xpumafangx

I think that is what they are saying. So I say test it.

14. Dad Daniel

Yes people, i think we really need the HEAVY word of RTB( :clap: :clap: )!
    But i have and other reason to think of using 2xGRIEFs - the -25 poisresistance of each one (in the case of perfect runeword) --> that makes (-50enemy poison resistance on enemy. I want to have this just because i was able to collect a nice dozen of 313poison damage scs and they are making me reliable in the big battles! So i want not only to improve my phisycal, but and poison damage!
    Besides +800 damage really sounds good...... :D

15. rikstaker

Sorry to burst your bubbles.. :rolleyes:

Test Condition:
    0% offweapon deadly/criitical(no mastery),no cb,level99 character-95% CTH target-act1 zombie-players 8.Skill- stun.

Test 1.

Dual grief vs single grief-Tried about 7-8 times,no difference WHATSOVEVER in the avg number of hits to kill target.

Test 2

Botd primary grief secondary vs botd solo:same results.If anyone is willing to carry out more refined testings on player chracters,please do so.

So much for testing something you already know. :rolleyes: .

I dunno what information RTB is running on this,but I'd be glad if he provides his take.

Rik

16. xpumafangx

I will go with what rik says He actly tested it. I only own 1 greif. Daneil plz stop worshiping rtb. It makes my brown nosing look bad.

17. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

No worshipping please, I don't know that much, and I'm only human.

Dad Daniel: The -% poison resist won't stack either.

18. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm you mentiond oath pb with its 50ias for faster attack on wolfbarb but depending on your lvl perhaps a shael azurewrath would be an option too? Also : so its confimed that +dmg modifier does not stack on wolfbarb with 2*pb griefs right? So the best combo (ladder) would be something like grief pb + fort/duress +highlords+ gores+ verdingos+ ravens and shael SS then...or angelics for AR?

19. xpumafangx

If you want the run/walk to help out you could do eather a chamed wolf howl or a trang-ouls belt. Now that I am thinking about it. I wouldn't do a runeworded phase with this build inless it was a greif. The damage is just too weak. Now a eth rare godly phase is a diffent story. But a greif would still be better.

20. Killer_sss

Killer_sss IncGamers Member

ok i guess you were right but now ive come to the question of does this not work as with the boots of an assain and the shield of a pally this makes very little sense maybe a little in keeping the game balanced but a dual wielding grief barb would be giving up a shield and speed so i'm unsure as to why bliz would exclude the dmg from being added. anyone got ne ideas on why this would throw the game far to off balance? say using a 6shaeled phase as a main weapon and grief to toss on dmg? any explenations you have i would like to hear thanx.