Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some v1.00 questions! Classic!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by zelfmoordis, Apr 7, 2004.

1. zelfmoordis

zelfmoordis IncGamers Member

Some v1.00 questions! Classic!

I had to reinstall diablo yesterday, due to some cleaning up on my pc.

But as I didn't want to install, I wanted to play, I just installed classic and didn't update anything. No expansion, no patches, no nothing!

My SpearBarbarian "Lance" is now lvl 17, almost lvl 18. And I started wondering a few things:

a). I seem to recall that Whirlwind Barbarians were gods in classic, that's why I'm building one.. But I'm not quite sure, seeing as the Chaos Sanctuary will probably be the place to level up I'm afraid I won't ever get to high lvls. (if you don't know what I mean: Iron Maiden + Whirlwind Barb = :howdy:)
    So is a Whirler viable? Where should I level up?

b). I also seem to recall that Classic could spawn some really, really great rares! So this character will be gambling for them! The rares I will chase for are: Boots, Rings, Amulets and Gloves. Now I was wondering at which lvl I could start gambling? I was thinking that lvl 60 would be a nice time to start!

c). Concerning those rares, am I actually correct that Classic spawns the best rares?

d). I tried to reroll a sword with the 3 chipped gems recipe, but nothing happened! No chipped recipe in Classic it seems! Are there any recipes at all? :)

e). I know that Elite Items are an addition that comes with the expansion.. But does this mean that I can find ALL exceptional unique's without upgrading to LoD?

f). As an afterthought of e). I got to this conclusion, but I'm not sure if it's true;
    Seeing as there are NO elite items in Classic, Mephisto can't drop any. Which in turn will cause that he will drop more exceptional items.. So i should have more chances for a Skullders Ire than with LoD!

g). And last but not least: Is it really worth it to play Classic v1.00. If I install LoD but not upgrade that can I still find the godliest of rares?

Those were my questions, I'm off to some playing again! And I must say it's quite harder than LoD v1.10 :D

:wave:

:edit: I also wanted to share this one with you all! The last thing I made before I had to format my pc. The 3 flawless gems recipe rules, now I only need something to put into it..

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload2/cruelthunder.JPG

2. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

I played 1.00 around 3.5 years ago, so my replies might not be 100% accurate, but I'll try to help :)

a) You can level up in the river of flame, the city of the damned or the plains of despair, you don't need to go into the chaos sanctuary to get exp until you are lvl 86+ and nothing but Diablo gives you exp. Whirlwind is certainly viable, but Lances (you know, the exceptional pike) couldn't drop until 1.04, this is a bug

b) I'm not sure about the best level to start gambling for things, but you can get fairly amazing things at low level, specially rings and amulets, since the life and mana leech affixes have a low alvl. For example, I recall gambling a 5/5 rare dual ring with a lvl 5 char, while I was trying to gamble a SoJ (this was in bnet, not in SP, but I don't think it has changed with the patches). You also have a high chance of getting uniques through gambling, so it's the perfect way to get those handy normal uniques (Hand of Broc, SoJ, Eye of Etlitch, Frostburns, Magefist, Ume's Lament... come to mind)

c) Not in all the cases, but it's correct specially regarding boots and gloves, since they can get dual str/dex, which is impossible in LoD. It's also interesting to get more than one +skill in an amulet, you could for example get a +2 barb/paladin amulet with life leech and str/dex (there's a duped one in europe realm with those stats, quite amazing). Take into account that to get +2 skills, you have to get an item with ilvl 90 at least. The only monster that is lvl 90 is Diablo, and he drops all magical items usually after you kill him the first time (mf is broken until .06 iirc, and doesn't work), so your best bet is to gamble after lvl 84 (the higher the level, the higher the chance of getting ilvl 90+ items), or cubing amulets using the 6 pskull + rare recipe (items get ilvl 99 automatically)

d) The 6 pskull + rare recipe is your best bet, I don't really recall any other useful recipe available. Remember that there are no sockets in non-white items, no charms, no runes... Oh, and flawless gems don't drop I think, so you'll have to use the gem upgrading recipe quite often, if you want to have a chance of a godly rare amulet

e) No, you'll find only white/magical/rare exceptional items in Classic, there were only Unique normal items back then. Unique items had no lvl req, so they are quite handy when starting a new char (the Iron Jang Bong is specially cool to use at low levels, and you'll appreciate the 1-12 lightning damage on SoJs if you get to use them at lvl 1, ever wondered why did the SoJ have that property?)

f) There's no Skullder's Ire, sorry! Besides, act bosses in classic aren't the item wells that they are in LoD, they'll drop really good the first time you kill them (Diablo used to always drop a unique item first time you killed him, that was your best chance to get Silks back then), but after that they'll drop mostly magical items, specially with mf not working

g) No, you won't find godly rares in LoD, but you could go to the Blizzard ftp site (ftp.blizzard.com) and download the 1.06 Classic patch, you'll get quite a few bug fixes (lances can drop, etc) and you'll still have a chance of getting great rares

Finally, a few random thoughts:

- Iceblink is absolutely godly in classic, if you find one, you'll know why! Iceblink + WW = invencible barb

- WW is overpowered through all of classic, from 1.00 to 1.06, and it was nerfed several times in between, so you'll miss some WW damage if you upgrade to 1.06

- There's no /players x command until 1.09, so you're set for a low leveling pace I'm afraid

- Max ed% on a magical weapon is 100, max ed% on a rare weapon is 200, but there's the n-1 bug so that makes it 99% and 198%. For the same reason, Etlitch can only spawn with up to 6% ll

- If you're planning to build a hammerdin in the future, bh only worked with concentration from 1.05 on, it was originally a bug, and then it was allowed to stay as a feature since so many people built hammerdins. Hammerdins are also overpowered in 1.05-1.06, maybe even more than in 1.10 comparatively, since you only have to max BH and Concentration, and you're set

- Amazons with a good bow are your best bet if you want to clear the Chaos Sanctuary, there was a bug with bow damage that made them useless in 1.00, but I think it was fixed in 1.03 or 1.04, and they've been very good since then

- Necromancers are your ultimate i-can't-die character, get 15 revives, a blood golem and maxed iron maiden, and you'll be doing so few that you'll get bored (happened to me in 1.06)

- Sorceresses are very different from what you're used to see, Telekinesis can grab any item, there aren't any delays so you can spawn your spells, and Static Field isn't capped in Nm and Hell. Maxed Static Field + Maxed Orb was a good combo back then, since there are no inmunes

- If you're playing 1.00, be careful with De Seis, he's a thief! :p

That's all I think, hope it was of help

3. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I don't remember much about classic but I'll try to answer some of your questions:

a) WW barbs are good in classic, at least I have been told so

b) Can't saythink for sure but if gambling works like it does now, the ilvl of stuff you gamble will be higher if you use higher lvl char which od course gives chances to get more/better mods

c) In classic you could have dual-leech rings and such but im not sure if the version of game matters

d) There is recipes but I don't remember any :lol:

e) In classic there was only normal grade uniques, so no Skullder's or Shaft or Gaze...im not sure but some normal grade uniques had a bit different stats back then

f) see e) ;)

g) Im not sure about 1.07 rares but you can start rack-running :D

Nice maul btw :thumbsup:

edit: And while I was typing this, Rag writes 10x better & longer & more detailed answer...Maybe I should practice more

4. Bolinbrooke

Bolinbrooke IncGamers Member

I dont know anything about 1.00 so I cant help :)

OT: OMG, its Rag, awesome to see you around here again old buddy :clap:

5. zelfmoordis

ah! thank you Ragnarok and Lpr,

So what you are saying (Ragnarok) is that I should upgrade to 1.06? Consider it done, as far as I can see it'll only bring me positive additions.

I think I'll aim for the River of Flame for leveling then, I've always liked that area anyways!

Seeing as there are no exceptional unique's either I think I won't be doing any Mephisto running, so i will purely run for levels and gold.

Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it!

Owh and Lpr, the maul is nice uh? It's not just nice though, it's sexy!

*runs off looking for unqiue splintmails!*

6. Ragnarod

Hey Bolin, did you miss my hello thread? Nice to see you around too :)

I forgot to mention WW is so overpowered in classic because it doesn't take into account the weapon speed! You'll have the same amount of hits with a WW using a Lance than using an Executioner Sword or a Martel de Fer, it's just that Lances have such a big range and damage that they're the weapon of choice once they were allowed to drop. Save your imbues, because it's all about rares in Classic! ;)

Edit: if you're going to upgrade to 1.06 and stick to it, consider gambling for a Tarnhelm (30-49 mf, due to the n-1 bug) and using a white 3 ptopaz armor for MF (I think it gave MF at least, might be wrong) once you have a good lance, and try running the act 3 flayer-infested areas for rares, this was a popular practice in 1.06. You can also run the Act 3 Council for gold, goldfind can go to very high values in Classic (in rare boots specially, I think), and pick up every single exceptional armor you see to sell it, gold means gambling for great rares and useful uniques!

Gambling prices don't scale with char lvl as they do in LoD, but you'll have to exit the town and come back to refresh the gambling screen, and you don't always have amulets and rings available, so gambling for them at high levels can be a bit tiresome. What I used to do was gambling in Act 4 or Act 1, if the town exit was next to Gheed. Gambling in Act 2 can be ok depending on where the exit is, but in Act 3 it's a real pain. There's no 'repair all' button, and gem effects are a bit lower than in LoD as far as I can remember

Oh, and one last thing, you often don't get the exact amount of some modifiers, which tends to be annoying sometimes. For example, there's no such thing as 10% ias or fast cast rate, but rather it will display as 'slightly increased attack speed/fast cast rate'. I think that the same happens with the enhanced defense on armors, and maybe even the enhanced damage on weapons, but I'm not 100% sure about that, it's been a long time

I nearly forgot, to gamble for unique amulets/rings, there are specific orders in which they'll spawn, they go Nokozan/Etlitch/Mahim Oak and Nagel/Manald/SoJ. For example, if you have a Nokozan in your inventory, the next unique amulet you'll gamble/find will always be an Eye of Etlitch, and if you have a Nagel and a Manald you're granted to gamble a SoJ. I think the chance of gambling uniques is something like 3%, much higher than in LoD. Oh, and if you're wearing a unique item, it won't be able to spawn, it'll spawn a triple durability rare instead, even if the unique didn't drop in that game. For example, if you had a Nagel, a Manald and a SoJ in your inventory, you wouldn't see any more unique rings drop/gamble, you'd get rare ones instead. That can be good if you're looking specifically for rare items, I suggest you always carry a Nagel and a Manald if you can, when you gamble/do mf

Edit2: I'm feeling like installing 1.06 too now, so many good memories! :D

7. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Hey, gamble us a boatload of SoJs and you'll be a hero!

8. zelfmoordis

In your first reply you mentioned gabling for a 5/5 dual leech ring while gambling for a soj, with a level 1 char.. I was wondering why you were gambling using a lvl 1 char :)

Further I think that chance guards and goldwrap are both normal unique items, will I be able to gamble for these in 1.06? Owh and I already have a tarnhelm!

The Damage modifiers on weapons are indeed displayed as "enhanced damage", no more no less.. So I'm just comparing damage now, and not really looking at the mods.

And you really should install 1.06, we could do some multiplayer then, it will take at least a bit of the lvling up time away from me (uh, did I say me? I meant us, ofcourse!).

And for the Nagelring and Manald trick, does tihs aso go for rings in your stash? If I have a Nagel and a Manald in my backpack, but a Stone of Jordan in my stash, will I be able to gamble for another SoJ?

Durf, if I actually get any sojs this way you'll get one!

9. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

Rag did a great job summing it all up, but I'd like to add a few things here and there.

Goblin Toe is your friend in Classic, since there's no cap on the damage crushing blow can do (like Rag mentioned inre: static field). Goblin Toe + Iceblink + zeal + fanaticism + a very fast weapon (rune swords and cutlasses were preferred) = AWESOME killing speeds. Also, for even more chance of CB, you can switch out Iceblink and put Rattlecage in its place, then add Coif of Glory (so the monsters are blinded and won't run due to the armor's monster-flee ability). The monsters will just stand there as you wail on them. Only downside is that CB has no effect on bosses (ANY bosses, not just act bosses).

Other items of note:

No blocking formula. All casters can get by with base DEX. Twitchthroe and a tower shield with 3 perfect diamonds will give you nearly maxed blocking and instantly take care of the -50 resist all penalty in Hell. This was also a good set-up for Avengers with maxed Conviction, Chargers, and Hammer/Shield barbs.

No immunes, which is both good and bad. It makes things a little safer for melee characters having no PI monsters to deal with, and single tree sorcs are viable, but some of the challenge is lost.

Everything is leechable, including skeletons. See above note about immunities and melee characters. :)

You know how bad the FE bug is in 1.10? That's nothing compared to a Classic Multi-shot LE boss. Throw in Teleportation (complete with almost full healing each time), Stone Skin, or Conviction and you've got a very dangerous and nearly unkillable boss. I know MSLE was a big problem in 1.09, too, but I swear it seemed 10x worse in Classic.

Hephasto can easily one-hit kill ANYONE in Hell and depening on the build, NM as well, being Extra Strong, Extra Fast, and Cursed to begin with.

BEWARE DURIEL. His opening charge is far, far worse than it is now, and there's some loading lag, too, so you literally can die before you even see him. You absolutely must bring a sacrificial lamb (all act 2 mercs were good for in Classic) with you to take the charge.

10. Ragnarod

It was a lvl 5 char, so he could hold the 50k gold that it costs to gamble a ring. The reason is that rings and amulets aren't always in the gambling screen, and since there are more items available for gambling the higher your level is, you'd see many more amulets and rings in the long run gambling at lvl 5 than at higher levels. It was just a matter of saving time :D

Yes, you'll be able to gamble for them in 1.06, and they come quite handy if you're looking for gold!

Yes, it applies for items in your inventory and stash. As long as there's a unique item present in one game, it won't be able to drop again, no matter where is it

Listen to Spiral too, some very good suggestions there :) Btw, beware Diablo's pink lightning bolt, it hurts a ton in Classic!

11. King's Specter

King's Specter IncGamers Member

Ooops, forgot about that. *upgrades his lvl20 hammerdin to 1.06* Thanks for that one!

There's a great classic gambling / imbue guide in the strat compendium:

http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/imbue/index.shtml

-KS

12. zelfmoordis

Well, I just had an 8 hour power failure.. Yeah, 8 hours..

So now I'm back with some new questions, 8 hours gives a man time to think!
    (do you think I've said -> 8 hours <- enough times? did you all grasp the full meaning of this? do I have to tell you all about melted icecream and unfrozen meat? ;)) However, on to the questions:
    Question 1, Can ATMA help me muling of my stuff?
    Question 2, Does Hell creatures already have the 50% physical resistance?
    Question 3, If the answer to question 3 is "yes" that would eman that amplify damage comes in very handy, do items with "%chance to cast lvlx amplify damage" spawn in v1.06?

And thanks again Spiral and Ragnarok, classic is quite a hard nut to crack..

p.s: I'll read that guide straight away! I might be back with more questions :p

13. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I also believe that repairing stuff you wanted to sell increased the amout you received upon selling it.

14. Ragnarod

That might be right Kaysaar, I don't remember right now :p The max gold you can get is 25k however, not 35k as in LoD, so don't repair anything that sells for 25k already :)

As for your questions Zelfmoordis:

1) I think ATMA supports muling with older versions, but I've never tried, so I can't be sure about this. If you try it out, let us know!

2) Monsters don't have the 50% physical resistance in Hell in 1.06, that was introduced with LoD

3) There aren't any 'chance to cast' affixes in Classic, that's partially why rares are generally better (they always have 6 affixes whenever possible, and there are less crappy affixes, so chances are you'll find a good one sooner)

Oh, and my nick is Ragnarod, not Ragnarok, many people get both mixed! At any rate, Ragna would do too ;)

PS: I didn't think there was anything for classic in the strategy compendium, that was a great find KS! :)

15. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Monsters in Hell don't have the 50% physical resistance. That was introduced in 1.09 I believe.

ATMA doesn't work in Classic. It only supports muling in 1.07 onwards. The only 3rd party programmes that do work contain editing features so we can't discuss them here.

Chris

16. zelfmoordis

Ah, too bad about ATMA. As far as I'm concerned all my questions have been answered, thanks everybody!

And man, I have never seen this much facts all crammed into 1 thread, which is even funnier considering it's all about a really old version of D2! Lets name the SPF to something along the lines of: "the vault of knowledge" ;)

Thanks again!