Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some Sort Of "Diablo" Atlas...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Grignr, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Grignr

Grignr IncGamers Member

Some Sort Of "Diablo" Atlas...

... for those of us who do not recall every spoken text in the game. I do not know where the classes come from, or where the geographical regions are relative to one another. Is there some sort of atlas, or a map, or even just a place where all the in-game text is written down so's I can do a little research, and help my story be that much more realistic, so to speak?

2. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

Yep, there is. Good ol' TDL has quest text from NPCs and such, as well as most (if not all) of the writing out of the game manuals. As for geography, I just use the map in the Diablo II manual, though I haven't seen an online version anywhere. If you don't have access to a copy, here's a quick rundown of the major areas listed:

Khanduras: Home to Tristram and the Order of the Sightless Eye, Khanduras is just west of the middle of the map in terms of latitude and longitude. The Monastery is on the eastern edge of Khanduras, and Tristram is at its approximate center. There are several noticable rivers in the region, and the country borders the Gulf of Westmarch to the north.

Westmarch: This appears to encompass all of the land west of Khanduras, though its immediate border is to the southwest of Tristram. Its major cities, Kingsport and the capital Duncraig, lie on that line and are on the same river, with Kingsport also being on the shores of the Great Ocean. Other parts of Westmarch form the Gulf; think of Westmarch as a sort of claw, with the tip pointing north, coming from a rather thick arm to the east.

Entsteig: This land is on Khanduras's north border, with a river between the two countries. Technically, it's the third of the three Western Kingdoms, though it doesn't come up much. The point of Westmarch's claw lies to the west of Entsteig, across the Gulf. To the north of Entsteig are mountains and the Barbarian Highlands.

Barbarian Highlands: This is a big area of mountains north of Entsteig. Barbarians hail from this region (go figure.) Mount Arreat is smack in the middle of the Highlands. To the north is the Frozen Sea.

Aranoch: This desert lies along Khanduras and Entsteig's eastern borders, separated from those countries by a mountain range. The only listed pass through these mountains is the Rogue Pass, from the Monastery, though there're probably other, harder routes. Lut Gholein is on the eastern coast of Aranoch, separated from Kehjistan by the Twin Seas, a body of water that connects with the Great Ocean and has a choke point south of Lut Gholein. Think of it as an hourglass placed southwest to northeast.

Amazon Islands: These are located at the southern end of the Twin Seas. The three ones shown are Skovos, Lycander and Philios; Philios is the largest and, as the manual hints, probably the most important. The closest shore is a very southern portion of Kehjistan, but Kingsport and Westmarch's coastline to the northwest isn't too far off either. Amazons are from this area.

Kehjistan: Across the Twin Seas from Lut Gholein is the river Argentek, which is a massive river with many tributaries (think the Amazon River.) Kurast is near the mouth of the river. Paladins are technically from Kurast, while Necromancers, Sorceresses and Assassins, as well as mage clans like the Vizjerei, are pretty much hidden in the vast jungles. There is, though, a city called Viz-Jun to the south of Kurast, on a tributary of the Argentek. Presumably, it has something to do with the Vizjerei. Another location, Ureh, is marked as east of Kurast, in what is presumably deep jungle. On the part of Kehjistan extending south past the Amazon Islands and towards the Great Ocean, there're "Ruins of Inarius's Cathedral" and "Ruins of Mephisto's Temple," both references to a story in the Diablo I manual about Overlords. The Sea of Light is to the southeast of Kehjistan.

Scosglen: Scosglen is in the northeastern corner of the world, bordering Kehjistan to the south. There is a fair amount of land in between Scosglen and the Highlands; presumably it's sparsely populated. Druids hail from this region.

Righty then...hope that helped. If you've got specific questions, feel free to ask 'em by post or PM, and apologies if I missed something.

Note that there are some contradictions in Blizzard's text, notably between Diablo I and Diablo II; for instance, Westmarch is the great "Northern kingdom" in the Diablo I manual, but the Diablo II map puts it south and west of Khanduras. For my part, I usually stick with whatever material's newer.

3. 0xDEADCAFE

0xDEADCAFE IncGamers Member

Sheesh, Rev, could your writing be any more clear? I could almost see the map being drawn before my eyes as I read your prose atlas. You wouldn't happen to be of the same trade as that love-struck young fellow in Farewell with all those wealthy customers, would you?

4. Ron_Lugge

Ron_Lugge IncGamers Member

I could *really* have used that map when I was making Sanctuary's geography on the fly...

Ah, well. I've just mangled it beyond all recognition -- who'll know?

5. Avalon

Avalon IncGamers Member

Anyee had most of the game manual stuff scanned on to TDL for reference purposes. There IS a map of Sancuary in either the D2 or D2:LoD manual.

And I never really saw the map presented there as exactly NSEW directionals. The curvature/shape of the land always suggested otherwise to me. But meh. Rev linked ya and laid it all out. So its done.

6. mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x IncGamers Member

A map of Sanctuary/Heavens/Hell would be lovely!

Really interesting, i just can't get my hands on the manuals.

7. chi987

chi987 IncGamers Member

8. Ron_Lugge

Ron_Lugge IncGamers Member

Thanks! Now, jsut find the missing acts... :)