Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

some resist q's

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by bigballerpaul, Sep 27, 2006.

1. bigballerpaul

bigballerpaul IncGamers Member

some resist q's

1. If a monster is Cold Immune, can it be broken with a rediculous amount of -% cold resistance?

2. Is there a cap on -% enemy cold res? How much can you actually lower a monster's resists as well as PvP res?

3. If I'm using a Doom Berserker axe, and say a 20/20 Monarch, and suppose my sorc's cold mastery is slvl 25, and I have a merc with and Infinity, etc. etc. etc. - how does all that stack? Does it just add up normally? How is the CM figured into the equation (does it just add to damage like fire mastery does?) Also with party play, say I have the same gear setup (with No merc) and I party with a pally running a slvl 25 Conviction, lets say he is also using a DoomZ, do my -% cold res stack with his and conviction and gear? Or does the gear only pertain to each character with the conviction aura being shared?

Sorry for the 3rd question being jarbled up like that. I am just interested in building a cold sorc with a rediculous amount of -% enemy cold res and was wondering if there was a number I needed to stop at.

As always, thanks for the comments in advance!

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

1. No, the only thing that can break an elemental immunity is Conviction and Lower Resist.
    3. If the monster is immune, the Conviction will work at 1/5 effectiveness. If the immunity is broken by Conviction, any -% res will apply as it normally would. If the immunity is not broken, the -% res will not apply. -% res will only work for the person whose gear the mod appears on; party members with the mod on their gear will not benefit you, and any -% res mod on your gear will not benefit them.

3. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

The lowest that a character or monster's resistances can be taken down to is negative 100%.

4. bigballerpaul

what level conviction is needed to break resists?

5. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Read this, question 2.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Most cold immune monsters, especially in later acts of hell difficulty have cold resistance greater than 130 or even 140, so you will not be able to pierce their immunity with reasonable level of Conviction. Check the monster resistances at Arreat Summit.

7. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

conviction tops out at -150% resists (slvl 25) so 129% cold resistance is the highest that can break. (Paladins only)

8. bigballerpaul

wait a second. the link posted above says that with an Immune, conviction only runs at 20% efficiency. that would mean -150 res would only be doing -30 to an immune so how would it break and Immune monster with 129 res? or was the post on the summit link incorrect?

9. ToThePoint

ToThePoint IncGamers Member

its res would be 99 after conviction which is not immune - your other -res stuff works at full effectiveness after that.

10. bigballerpaul

hah yeh sorry i just got that concept when i was in the tub.

thanks for all the posts guys and the info.