Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some ramblings

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Vharis, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Vharis

Vharis IncGamers Member

Some ramblings

Ok, so I've been bouncing around from paladin, barbarian, and necromancer. I've decided to stick with the necromancer, and pretty much use the Fishymancer build (which was basically the one I used unknowingly by accident on my own with the exception of a few skills that I didn't have before I read Fishymancer).

Anyway, do you guys feel it's "cheap" or "cheating" to be running around with 9 skellies that hardly die and own everything? I mean, I'm one of those players that only uses what they find, and only use the vendor to sell and look for socket armor/weapons.

I mean, it feels like I'm not earning anything when I'm playing this way, but then again it's the build that I've played with even before I read the guide (mostly, read above paragraph). I've wanted to play a barb or paladin, because I thought melee would be the route I wanted to take, and I'm very melee oriented. I just don't know which is better in those regards, I know they both do well, but I just think one should be better than the other.

So.. basically I'm playing a fishymancer, p8 singleplayer of course.. and wondering whether or not to stay with that or play a more melee character.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my little army and I always chuckle when I see 'em just massacre everything, but I feel I'm not earning anything. I do love playing that way though.

I guess I'll just keep at it with the necromancer, because every time I try to play another class, Necro pulls me back to it. I guess it's my preferred class so to speak.

So yeah.. pretty much a pointless ramblings thread before I go and start playing. Just thought to get that off my chest.

2. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Re: Some ramblings

What lvl are you. Are you in hell difficulty? If not, get there, then tell us if you feel the same way. Otherwise...

Is it cheating to have well-built strong character and enjoing him/her slaying everything? Then most of us would be cheaters :)

Don't worry. You can choose a melee character or some not as easy, but interesting build next time. Most of us likes the variety - challenging builds/easy builds, just play whatever character you like. It's a game.

3. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

*stock answer* Neither class is better than the other.

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, there are certain areas/monsters/situations that a barb handles better then a paladin and vice versa.

What do you want to do with your melee character?

4. Vharis

Vharis IncGamers Member

Ok, you guys are really going to roll your eyes and tell me to stop being dumb and get my *** in gear, etc etc...

I'm not even out of act 1 normal.... *waits for laughter/thrown fecal matter/angry shouts/rolling of eyes/all other things associated with exasperated responses*

I've just been trying to see what class I really like and stick with. I've decided on the Fishymancer, I've gotten him to act 2 to about level 24 or so. I do love that class, just... ok, my sister saw me playing and said the following, and I quote "Jesus Christ you effin cheater! I can't kill 10 things at once and loot while things are still dieing!" So.. I started thinking that maybe I was cheating or something. I told her that I was just playing summoner necro way. I guess she's never played that before. I'm 27, she's 22 just to put things in perspective.

At any rate, I just kinda felt bad that I was owning everything and I watch her die 50 times in a row. It's kind of funny though, but I'll never tell her that.

With the bard and paladin, I wanted to be able to solo everything single aspect of the game. I'd just farm for the gear I want and stuff, so that's not even an issue there. I like the way D2:LoD runs, I like running through entire maps and looting blues, yellers, and rares. I just wanted a class that I could do all of that with. I think the zealot paladin would allow that, or even the IK barb, and I think that the frenzy barb can as well, but I wasn't sure. I've read the guides already, and I'm pretty confident of the classes, and how they run. The zealot paladin I've gotten to 21 before scrapping it.. not real sure why I did, I really liked it.

The only thing, I just don't know which to stick with. I'm one of those guys (some women might be the same way) that wants to stick with a class and play through and buff it all up before moving on. I just can't decide. I'm leaning toward paladin though, because using zeal 5 times in a row and mowing through everything just was so cool. So, I probably just figured out my own quandry without realizing it..

Anyway, please try to contain your flamage, or do it and then add some more friendlier text after it, so that we can all be cool.

5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Well you are quite over powered being level 24 in Act 1 Normal. :) What class is your sister playing?

Each class and each sub-class has a wealth of variants and alternatives. Just check the Mat/Pat/Guardian compilation.

Fishy's are great for the "loot, lurk and trundle" method of play. They get a whole lot less clever in Hell. Particularly on high player settings. Even Normal difficulty bosses can be interesting with one.

You could suggest your sister plays something easier if she's having trouble ....

EDIT:
    Your sister is being unfair comparing a sorc to a necro. That's just ... wrong. And if she can't be bothered to have a look at build guides, she is going to keep dying. As you say, her choice. I hope you have better look with the zealot, although if she's a light sorc a vengeance pally would help her more. Assuming you are MPing. If not .... happy zealing. :D

6. Vharis

Vharis IncGamers Member

Yeah.

She's playin a sorc, and I've tried to show her some of the builds to kind of help her try to focus the character, but she said she's not nerd enough to look online for character builds... I was like wtf did you say?

Anyway, I've decided to let her die a lot and not concern myself with trying to show her advice. Anyway, yeah I play on /players 8 for every class I play. I would leave act 1 after being level 20 and killing Andariel. I like to clear each map zone, each cave before I move on.

I should have said, that I was 24 in Act 2, and I left act 1 at 20, sorry for not clarifying that.

Anyway, I'll give the paladin another go, since I really liked the fanaticism zealot more than the necro. I think that playing fishymancer is easy mode extreme, no offense to those that do play it. It's fun, but I'm thinking that the zealot paladin will be what I want to play. They look cool in armor, which is nice.

(Edit) Nope, we're not mping. Although I had offered to tcp/ip with her but she didn't say whether or not she would. I remember back in the day we'd have lan parties with our old friends before I joined the army and she and my family moved to Ohio, we'd have like 8 people running around, was fun. Anyway, I'll try again to see if she'll be game to check out some of the builds, I think she just doesn't want to do the homework on it, so I'll help her out a bit. I'm still leaning a bit toward Necro, I'm playin the paladin right now and I'm still getting a strong pull back to the necro, so I think I'll just play that first. I just can't stop that urge for the class, stong it is in me (yoda, yes was bad).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  7. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

You should try a fishyzon. Or your sister, for that matter. No summons, still very powerful and enjoyable. I'm looking forward to making another one of those in the near future.
    FYI, a fishyzon uses javelins for Lightning Fury (the last skill in the javelin tree), and in her alternate weapon slot a good bow for Frozen Arrow.

8. Vharis

Vharis IncGamers Member

That was another class I wanted to try out as well, but again, the necro has a strong pull for me. I should just placate that urge and play it. I've been drawn to that class ever since D2 came out, and now that I've got a lot of time on my hands, I think I'll just focus on that class for the time being.

I think I'll go ahead with the necro, then paladin, then the fishyzon just because that amazon has been an attractive prospect to play. We'll see, I have a lot of time on my hands with college, and what not. Thanks again for all of you guys that have posted your own thoughts. Keep on posting, I'll keeping checking and responding.

Oh, and SP is far better than b.net in my opinion. I had thought I'd give the ladder a shot when it was reset, but the lag of b.net kills any enjoyment I'd have, and I have cable internet. That just tells me that the b.net servers are not maintained very well, it is free.

(Edit) Merlin, you've really gotten me to play the fishyzon. I read that guide, and I'm very interested now. I'm going to play that right now and shelve the necro. That guide seems to allow me to do exactly or close to what I've wanted out of a character, and be able to run everything. I'm going to give that one a go and see how it is. It seems like a simple guide, but I'm a simple man. Thanks for mentioning the fishyzon.

9. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Also, good luck at normal Diablo. That will be your first big hurdle.

10. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Have a blast at it! It should be quite simple from the beginning, since even cracked javelins do decent damagae on players 8 in normal, and you'll find plenty. And since she deals all her damage ranged, it's fairly safe. Diablo and Duriel are probably the most challenging obstacles in normal you'll face.
    Make sure to move a lot when facing diablo! If you worry about the bone prison, it might be wise to stick a powerful pike or some such in your alternate weapon slot and set it on jab. One switch and you can shatter that prison before Diablo can hose you.
    And have fun with her! She's great to play, trust me :p

11. Helx

Helx IncGamers Member

Cheating? No way...you're playing the game one way it was meant to be played by using a fishymancer. Cheesy? Depends entirely on your own opinion--no one else's opinion matters. Like Hrus said, though, once you get past Nightmare and into Hell you might feel it's not the same as shooting fish in a barrell. ;)

Honestly, I used to only play barbs back when I first started Classic Diablo, and it carried over into D2 LOD. Now I've tried about 8 types of sorcs as well as different versions of assassins, necros, paladins, amazons, etc., and have a great time doing it. Sometimes if I just want to "coast" and sit back I'll pull out my fishymancer (well, I need to make another one since my HD died some time ago :p ) and watch his little army go. :cool:

Bottom line is have fun.

12. Vharis

Vharis IncGamers Member

The only thing I dislike a bit with the amazon, is the limited amount of Javelins you have, so if I find something really nice, I have to keep porting to town, repair and go back out. That could be tedious as hell, but I'll have to keep at it to see if it'll be something that will bother me.

I do like playing it so far, the javies (when thrown) do a ton of damage, and in melee it's not so bad, but I'm starting to see where this isn't the best melee. So.. I'll just have to keep going back to town when the ammo get's low. I have a bow on switch that will eventually have FA for it, and I'll do that weapon switch to take care of the bone prison thing as well with a good spear or something.

Necro had me thinking about killing the bosses, because if I run out of bodies, I'd be screwed, so that's one reason I kinda wanted a different class. The paladin (specifically zealot) seems fun and that will more than likely be my fall back class if the Zon doesn't appeal to me later on. Sorc seems like she'll be fun but we'll see later on that. Sin has too many switching involved with that and I don't wanna deal with all of that.

At any rate, I'll see how Zon works out, seems pretty cool so far early on. I'll take her further just to see how she works out.

13. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Yeah, a lot of builds take a little while to get going (sorcs in particular) so definitely don't give up on them before you're even out of A1 normal!

Once you get LF, you'll really start plowing through the game.

EDIT: As for your ammo issue...you can always carry some extra stacks of javs in your inventory and put a stack of javs in your weapon switch as well.

14. Vharis

Vharis IncGamers Member

Helx, yeah I do have fun with the necro, it's just dealing with bosses where I'm not very confident. The last time I faced Andariel on normal p8, she whooped my butt, all skellies dead, and I melee'd her to kill her. I didn't really do it right I think. There were a lot of mobs her room, but I couldn't figure out how to get her out of there so I could deal with the mobs to replenish my army.

I havn't played in awhile so my strat for her was pretty crap. Still, I have some more experimenting to do, and right now the Zon is the first in that, so far she's pretty fun. I just don't like, like I had said in my last post, the small amount of Javies. I can't figure out if I should be meleeing or throwing them. If I throw em, I'll have to go back to town every 5 mintues to replenish ammo, which doesn't sound appealing.

(Edit) I didn't think of the extra Javs in my inventory.. Sometimes I wonder if I even think about anything. I swear, sometimes I amaze myself at how clueless I can be.

15. Vharis

Vharis IncGamers Member

Ok.. here we go again.

I'm tired of kiting and thinking. Yes, I want to play the game to have fun and I think the whole kiting thing isn't my scene. I just don't like it. I havn't died yet at all, I just dislike that whole playstyle.

So, I think my playstyle is more of the summoning route. I like that subclass for the necro just too much so I'm just going to go with what I have fun with. Necro is fun for me, when I see my undead army just blowing through stuff. From what some of you guys posted, Hell should be more challenging (as it should be), and really most people play hell anyway or hell HC. So, I'll get my dude leveled up and stop switching since I've found what I want to play now, finally.

Another thing I read, is to do the bosses on p1 instead of p8, which really makes sense to me. I mean, I just want to level with p8, and kill all teh act bosses, so I feel doing those on p1 will be better. Hell is where I'm more concerned with drops and stuff, and that will be p1 anyway. I've not even been there and I'm talking about playing in Hell... I should really level up, get to hell, and stop with all the random posts.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know about my decision, because I know you've all been on the edge of your seats to see where I end up. The suspense must have been killing you. :wink2:

16. Peppe

Peppe IncGamers Member

You might also like a druid summoner if you have the expansion. You won't have quite the army, but you can also get more involved and slap some things around if you feel like it.

A summon necromancer will probably have around 10-15 skeletons and you can add the same number of mages and plenty of revives. You can easily have an army of 30+ minions. The necromancer also has a curse for just about every situation.

A summon druid will have out either a grizzly bear or 3 dire wolves and some ravens floating around. The bear is for single or hard hitting target the wolves for most other situations. With a few skill points and a good crushing blow weapon the druid can turn into a wolf or bear and help out his minions with his combat skills. Without the necromancer curses you might need to find more creative ways to get past tough packs in hell.

17. okiimatsu

okiimatsu IncGamers Member

i've always loved the necro's style as well. and I tell ya, when you got
    your minions doing your dirty work, you don't have to click that damn mouse
    so much, save your hand a lot of wear and tear! haaaaa! :jig:

18. isan

isan IncGamers Member

Vharis, you are on the right track, I also recommend you to finish the Fishymancer build, at least try to enter Hell difficulty. Just as the guide say, your skelletons are dominant only until Nightmare difficulty. In hell difficulty, they will only be your meat shield and your Corpse Explosion is the one that will kill the monsters. The playstyle of the Fishymancer will be like this: Summon minions -> curse monsters (mostly Amplify Damage) -> let minions and merc get first corpse -> blow the corpse by Corpse Explosion. I found that Revives are more useful in Hell difficulty if you revive the correct monsters. Do not forget to use Clay Golem and/or Decrepify for bosses though, as long as bosses are slow, you will be safe.

Have fun with your Fishymancer. :wave: