Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

some questions while im making my first assassin?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Sharaz, May 16, 2005.

1. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

some questions while im making my first assassin?

i maxed out lightning sentry and death sentry, but i dont seem to be able to cast more than 5-6 traps total. on a necro, it at least tells you how many traps you can cast... is it just dependant on your mana? or is there a max you can cast period?

im at lvl 61 and i spend 2t or so points in dex and in str to get my eth bartucs on, but i pulled an anni from anther char and now i want to start her over and not waste those points. i only have 2 days invested in her anyway, and i want to not be disappointed with her when shes 90+. i have a mage enigma, and a +2 traps circlet with 20 str on it, so there is no logical reason to waste poitns into anything but life.

anway, can someone set me straight about the amount of traps thing?

2. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

5 traps maximum. That goes for all the lain traps. Shock Web, Fire Blast, Blade Fury and Blade Shield do not count towards that number. Any traps cast by your Shadow count towards that number.

So, what are you making this for? PvP and PvM builds have different requirements for "what works" and very different playing styles.

3. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

oh yeah. i primarily do PvM, and i usually only duel when someone comes in and trys to provoke the party. so far, my characters win those impromtus most of the time, tho i realize many of those jerkoffs have what they "believe" is a godly pker, and they may not be true PvP quality.

so, i like to be able to hold my own, but im not a dueler by nature.

right now, im planning to use sandstorm treks, but im open to recommendations. i have 1 soj and 1 bk ring, and im pretty sure my mana pool will be fine to cast 5 traps. so far, i only have maxed in DS and LS, and im working my way back to the top of that branch. as i said, im pretty sure im going to start her over and recover those points i prematurely put into str and dex.

4. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Random thought - why not Shako? You get over 100 life from that, while the 20 str only gets you 60 life when you turn it into vitality. Not to mention Shako has some other cool traits.

With the level of equipment you plan on using, I would be far more concerned with playing style than stat distribution. I could solo large parts of Hell (players 1) with my first Ladder assassin. I had crap for equipment, spent skill points poorly, had negative resistances (due to massive MF gear), and still survived because I can work the Shadow Master and Merc to do my tanking for me. With your +skills, a level 1 base Shadow Master may very well be enough to get you to the level 17 sweet spot. If not, the extra points there won't disappoint.

5. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

You only really need about 100 strength and dex if you are going martial arts, mainly for the claws, but Bartuc's are probably minimum requirement.

6. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

hi ilkori,

im definatly a big fan of shakos, but this circlet i imbued also has 19 all resists, along with the 20 str. im going to try to socket it with something nice, um or ber or something along those lines.

heres the circlet
    http://www.dfwlp.com/~jhorne/pics/diablo/screenshots/storm.hood-diadem.jpg

and a war fist i found about 2 weeks ago from chaos sanc:
    http://www.dfwlp.com/~jhorne/pics/diablo/screenshots/cruel.bite-war.fist.jpg

i think, if i did my basic math right, im going to have lvl 41 LS when i get to lvl 80. last night at clvl 61 slvl31, i i think was doing about x-5000 dmg with LS, so i think they are going to be pretty good when i get them all built up, synergized, and all my +skills equipment on.

today while i as home for lunch, i went ahead and rebuild my assassin from scratch, and got her to lvl 15. tombs, here i come!!

7. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Very nice finds! I was starting to wonder if it was just a magic circlet with those mods. Since it isn't, props to you. I'd definitely use the circlet. The claw is pretty sweet.

8. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

well, my first trapper is comming along well. i have 20/20/20/20 in the LS synergies, and 1 point in weapon block and the skill above it. at lvl 80, i currently have 8 skills unused. with equipment on, i have 1163 life, and my LS traps are about 9.6K (which i think is probably pretty fair). if i um my circlet, ill have all max resists, exluding cold which would be i think 70. and on top of that, i still have a ton of stat points unused as well.

im still not sure that sandstorm treks are the best boots for my trapper. does anyone have boot recommendations? also, i think i could find some more useful gloves. i dont plan on having any matial arts skills. maybe i could pick up some resists if i change those out, so im open to recommendations.

i also am looking for some direction on where to place remaining skills. i know ill get ot at least lvl 92, before i put any character down, so there will be many more points to play with.

9. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Boots/gloves are the positions with the largest slop in your gear. Treks are great boots - Waterwalk, Silkweave, War Travs, Tearhaunch, Hotspur are some other unique options. In the sets, Aldur's, Cow King's, and Natalya's boots are all great depending on what you want for resists. If you do some Blade Fury, then Goreriders or Goblin Toe make perfect canidates. Shadow Dancers have high strength, but provide nich FHR, dex and some free skill points.

The *best* depends on your total setup, and where you are weakest. Anything that gets you to the next FHR setup would probably be my first choice, then resists, FRW, damage, MF, etc.

-- edit --
    For skills, I prefer to have one point in every Shadow Discipline. Venom is completely optional, and only recommended if you like to use Blade Fury. With your equipment, Fade would be optional. Burst of Speed gives you far more mobility, and helps with the IAS issues. Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows are (imho) a requirement for every assassin build. Once you learn how to use them, then a very few number of monsters will become problems.

The shadows are your choice entirely. Using Master, Warrior, or nothing are all viable options. Master/Warrior is a lot like the Strafe/Multi arguement zons have. My preference is Master since she is cast and forget. Beyond that, she has a few annoying habits (including Mind Blasting groups you don't want, and randomly disappearing). Going with no shadow allows for more power in traps.

In the traps tree, having a strong Fire Blast (18 or 20 points) gives you more shots with Death Sentry, and a consistent secondary damage source. It synergizes with your Lit traps, so it's sweet that way. Blade Fury is fun, but completely optional. A strong merc more than makes up for the skill. Although, it does focus the attack of your shadow if you decide to go that route.

10. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

ilkori, thank for the reply. im going to give a lot of thought to the shadow master.

i had a VERY lucky day today, my MF sorc lucked out with not 1, but 2 20 life + cold resists scs. one with 7, one with 11 cold resists. so my cold resists problem is now taken care of. i actually was sporting 4 all resist scs, 2 +4 and 2 +5. i took the 2 +4's off, and i still had 75 resists in cold poison and fire. and as one of my above screenshots showed, my lightning resists are also a problem, which im proud i handled with a simple ort in my circlet. gg! i know ums rule... but an ort is just much funnier!! lol

http://www.dfwlp.com/~jhorne/pics/diablo/Intrappolare/20050518/Screenshot026.jpg

:thumbsup:

hey before i submit, someone in another thread when i asked about number of traps that can be set, can you clarify how shadow master affects traps that i lay? if i were to lay 5 in quick sucesscion, what would the shadow mater then do?

11. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

What the shadow master does is dependant on her unpredictable AI. 99% of the time you will kill your enemies without her laying any traps. That other 1% of the time she will typically lay 1-3 traps. You can replace those with yours if you'd like. The 5 traps you lay replace any previous traps (since that is the maximum) which includes both your previous traps and the shadows.

Nice find with the SCs.