Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some questions to ask

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by wishyQ, Aug 14, 2010.

1. wishyQ

wishyQ IncGamers Member

Some questions to ask

Hi, i am a beginner to mp game.I have play diablo in SP. SC. FAM. I have read the stickies on 'how to set router for mp game'. However, the problem is, i don't have a router and i connect to the internet via ethernet cable. Do i need to set anythings? Sorry, i am a computer newbies as well so if you all don't mind, explain in layman term.
    Addition information: i have diablo running in window 7 os

2. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Re: Some questions to ask

Versions of Windows from WinXP and onwards have a built-in software firewall. In a nutshell, a firewall is a program or device that is designed to limit network connections, particularly ones that seem suspicious. A connection can be initiated on your end (such as when you connect to a web site with your browser) or incoming (when a program on your computer waits to be contacted by some entity on the internet). The latter tends to be restricted more heavily, and in the case of hosting (as opposed to joining) a multiplayer online game, your computer is going to have to wait on incoming connections. Depending on how your firewall is configured (and I have no idea how the Win7 firewall is configured by default, or if any changes have been made to your settings), you may or may not be able to host. My suggestion is to host a game, and have someone try to join. If they can join, all is well. If Windows pops up some alert asking if you want to 'open a port' for Diablo II, or allow incoming connections, etc, choose the option to allow it (ie, don't choose the 'block' option). I'm not really sure what message Windows will pop up, since a) I use WinXP, which is a couple generations older than Win7, and b) I turn off the built-in firewall anyways (since I'm behind a hardware firewall). If they cannot join, you will need to determine how to make changes in the firewall settings, which you will probably need admin access for (not sure if you have this on your machine). As I said, I can't give you step-by-step instructions for Win7, since I don't use it.

Hope this helps.

[edit] If you receive this message in the next little bit, you can try hosting a game and post the IP address here. I'm leaving for work in a bit, but if you put a game up before I go, I can help test if it works. This assumes you are running v1.13 final; I'm running v1.13 final with the runeword mod. [/edit]

3. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Re: Some questions to ask

pharoah, that was an awesomely informative post. :thumbsup: