Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some questions from a newbie - Please help

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Zeint, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Zeint

Zeint IncGamers Member

Some questions from a newbie - Please help

Hello, thanks for reading my thread.

I used to play diablo 2 (and 1) a long time ago. Hearing the news about Diablo 3, I decided to play some Diablo 2 again. I downloaded the game from Blizzard using my old CD-key, and purchased the expansion on their website (I couldn't find my old CD-key for that) and downloaded that also.

Now, everything is going well and I have a level 32 Assassin (I also had a level 24 Necromancer first, but I lost him because my computer crashed and I had to reset it to a former state). I deleted the game and reinstalled it (because my computer was reset), and copied my old "Save" folder into my new diablo folder. Logging into the game my characters were there (although 2 days younger and several levels lower). No problem - I didn't feel like completing the entire Acts 2 and 3 on my Necromancer again, so I started an Assassin. Here comes my problem:

Every time I enter the area where the Ancients are, the game crashes after I start the fight and attack them a bit. I realise you guys on this forum will probably not be able to fix that, but I would like to try reinstalling the game to see if it works then. However, when I look in my "Save" folder, it's still the same as the one I copied into the new diablo folder after installing it for the second time. There are no files with names after characters created after reinstalling the game. I would really like to back up my Assassin and Barbarian before reinstalling the game, but there simply are no files with their names. I tried removing the "Save" folder, and the characters disappeared from my character selection screen, but the characters created after the reinstall are still there.

Where are the character files for those characters? Am I right in assuming, that to back-up a character I simply copy the files with their name on them from the "Save" folder and copying them into the "Save" folder of a new game? Is there another way?
    I looked on the Internet from some program to back-up a character, but it didn't work. I don't want to cheat (or get a virus), so I'm very hesitant about downloading programs from 3rd party sources.

A few other questions:
    I read on some fan page that I could create items using the so-called "Rune Words". There was a list of rune words, and I tried a few of them in the game, but they didn't seem to work? I tried placing an Ort and a Sol rune in a socketed helm, but nothing happened. I read that it was supposed to turn into a rune word called "Lore". In the guide I resort to for help on my Assassin, it says that I could create a weapon using the rune word "Honor": Amn El Ith Tir Sol
    Does that also not work any more?

Also, since I don't feel like creating the same character all over again, nor do I want to use any cheats to reset my skills, can anyone point me to some good guides about different skills and builds for the different classes? Most guides seem to assume that I have access to high-end gear, rune words and are generally very newbie-unfriendly.

Battle.net says that it cannot recognise my game version (which I can't understand, since I downloaded it directly from Blizzard and it said it should be fully updated), so I'm only playing offline, solo. I would like to play on battle.net though, but can I use the same character there? Or must I start over once again? I don't know anyone who are good at diablo, since all my friends either aren't interested in video games, or play WoW or some other game, and not diablo.

Thanks again if you made it this far in my thread, I realise it got rather long. I really hope for some replies, and quickly, since I have holiday now and really feel like playing. Thank you in advance!

2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Re: Some questions from a newbie - Please help

At least you split it up into paragraphs

Are you using CoS? This crashes the game with certain monsters (ancients, and anything that can't move iirc)

Also, If you can't get on Bnet, what patch are you using (it says bottom left on the main screen).

Runewords don't work in magical items, and Lore was added in 1.09, are you playing 1.07?

Bnet characters cannot be played offline (unless you delve into the quagmire that is OpenBNet :shudder: )

3. Zeint

Zeint IncGamers Member

Thank you for your reply. I'm not totally sure what CoS is. If it's cloak of shadows then no I don't use it on them (I figured it wouldn't work on them). After dinner I will try going there again and write down exactly which error I get and exactly when it happens.

I made the runeword in a great helm with 2 sockets which I bought from the smith in Act 5. My version says 1.12, am I supposed to be playing something earlier? I wanted to test the rune word which the hireling person hints as you complete his quest (RalOrtTal), but I haven't been able to find a shield with 3 sockets.

Does it have a say that I play offline(edit: as in Single Player)? Like I said I haven't gotten battle.net to work yet, I read on the battle.net forum (haven't figured out how to make an account there) that the version errormessage is often caused by corrupted files as a result of 3rd party programs or corrupted areas the hard disk - but I don't use any 3rd party programs (I downloaded a program called d2bckp (some character back-up thing, but it doesn't seem to work) and my computer should be fine.

I would like to get on battle.net though, and I am hoping a reinstall will do the trick, but I'd like to find out if there is a way to prevent the loss of the characters I have now.

EDIT:
    I just went to Arreat Summit again on my Assassin, and on second thought I think I might have been casting cloak of shadows on them before. This time I didn't, though, and killed them hands down! Thank you very much =) I do believe you have just saved the mortal world of my single player game ;)
    I do still, however, need to find out how to back up my characters, whose files are seem nowhere to be found :/
    By the way, what would be the easiest way of getting my hands on an Amn rune? It's the only rune I lack for my Honor rune word, and what kind of weapon should I socket it into? Are there even weapons with 5 sockets? I'm an aspiring Tiger Strike/Death Sentry Assassin (that means a lot of points in Tiger Strike, Shadow Master, Death Sentry and Lightning Sentry).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  4. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Was this helm grey, or was it blue? (iirc act5 vendors sell only blue items) You must use grey items for runewords

Amn rune: just kill lots of monsters, or the NM countess, one will drop eventually

If you look in your Diablo II Save folder, you will see files with the .d2s entension. This is the character save file; the other files remember stupid stuff like which bits of the map you have explored.

I have no ideas about assassins I'm afraid

5. Are

Are IncGamers Member

The Helm you bought was probably magical. It would have blue writing and be named something like Artisan's Great Helm or Mechanic's Great Helm (don't remember which gives 2 sockets). Runewords don't work in magical, rare, crafted, set, or unique items.

Try searching your computer for files with the .d2s extension.

6. Zeint

Zeint IncGamers Member

You're right! The helm was probably magical then, I thought it would be alright to buy one at the vendor, guess not. Oh well as long as I found out using relatively easy-to-get runes haha - thanks.

So I will just have to wait until a gray helm with 2 sockets drop right? Although I'm not too sure if I need that helm now, I have the helm and the shield from the Isenhart's Armory set. Together they give me 10 strength and 16 to all resistances. The +skill on the Lore helm is very nice though.

By the way, is it a viable tactic to have a fast sword+shield for building up 3 charges of tiger strike (and 3 of viper strike if I need health or mana), then switch to a slow, hard hitting 2-hander to release the charges for a lot of damage? It seems to work okay, I killed Baal just now using that tactic, I only had to use 2 town portals to refill my belt.
    The guide I'm reading says I'm not supposed to use a shield at all, just a 2 handed weapon and on switch 2 assassin weapons with +skills to cast traps - but I found that I was getting quite overwhelmed like that..

I've searched my computer for files *.d2s files, and it found 5 files, the 5 files of the characters I copied into the new diablo folder after I reinstalled it - the other 3 are nowhere to be found.. It's very strange..I can play on them just fine..

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out by answering my rather stupid questions :D

7. Are

Are IncGamers Member

The only thing I can think of that would both allow you to play the characters and not see the files, would be that you've accidentally caused the files to be hidden. Try changing your folder settings so you see all files including hidden files and system files.

As far as newbie-friendly guides go.. Try the sticky on top of the forum (Beginner's Guide to Build Selection). The guides recommended there generally provide cheap gear options in addition to the high-end unobtainable ones, I believe. If they don't, you could always ask someone :)

Besides, it's perfectly possible to complete the game without having an optimalized character :)

8. Zeint

Zeint IncGamers Member

Okay thanks I will have a look at that. Nice to know that it's possible to beat the game without a perfect character, although I would still like my character to be as good as possible.

I found my save files. I use Windows Vista, so I played a bit around with the folder stuff, and I clicked "show compatibility files"(I'm not quite sure if that's what it's called in English - my vista is in Danish), then it skipped to a folder containing my new save files and even a few screen shots I took!

I will try re-installing the game now I think, I will just copy all of the files in that folder and store them a different place, and then drag that folder into the my new, new diablo directory in a folder called "Save", right?

If battle.net works by then, I will start a new assassin (I can't use my offline single player character on battle.net can I?)

I've noticed a lot of you experienced people posting in here seem to be playing US-West or something similar, but I will probably play on the Europe gateway since that is by far closest to me (I live in Denmark).

It's kind of cool that I have a Help-Zeint-Thread haha. I have tried to read up on the things that I'm not sure of, but guides and such very quickly get very specific about gear, and uses abbrevations I have no idea what mean. Also, they all assume that you play online (which I will, once I get it to work).

9. Zeint

Zeint IncGamers Member

Sorry for double posting but I just wanted to say that I reinstalled the game and I can now play battle.net !! :)

Is Assassin any good for my first character? I already got my single-player assassin to 36 by myself without much trouble (only really died at Duriel - seriously, isn't he a bit too harsh for where he's at? I always die a LOT to him on all of my characters), killing Baal in the proces.

Do I just make a game and play as I normally would?

Edit: I created my character as a ladder character, is that good/bad?