Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some questions for my new pally

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by vCH, Nov 2, 2006.

1. vCH

vCH Diabloii.Net Member

Some questions for my new pally

So I've never even got close to making a pally ever before and I have a couple questions.
    1- How many auras can I have "active" at once? Like can 2 auras overlap or something? Can they both be Offensive? Or can it only be 1 of each?
    2- Also I'm thinking of Might and Conviction for my charger, but then again that might change depending on the answer to #1. But what auras do you recomend for a Charger (probably together with Might).
    I think that's it for now, I'll just post again any of questions I have. Thanks for keeping up with my nubness.

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj Diabloii.Net Member

You can only have 1 aura active yourself at a time.

2 Paladins partied together can have 2 different auras active, and both will benefit from each (e.g. pally 1 runs Defiance, pally 2 runs Might, both receive defense and damage bonuses as long they are withing range of each other)

Conviction is an aura that only affects enemies. Other players will benefit from it only when attacking an enemy affected by it (e.g. a sorceress uses Fire Ball on an enemy with Conviction under it's feet, she will benefit in that way).

3. edgie

edgie Diabloii.Net Member

If you have an item that gives an X level aura when equipped, you may also have that aura running with a different aura on your right click. This can also work for more then one item giving X level aura when equipped. If two items give the same aura and are on the same character (example : Dream helm and shield, or HoJ + dragon) then those auras add up (example : dream helm and dream shield give a lvl 30 holy shock)

*edgeedge

4. vCH

vCH Diabloii.Net Member

k thx so far, here are couple extra questions tho:

1- For my ammy, in-between Seraphs(2/2) and my Highlords, I should go with the Highlords right?
    4- How do I solve my problem with physical immunes?
    5- I don't know where to get my merc/which to get.... Any suggestions?
    6- And as wep I'm thinking Grief PB ... is that a good choice?
    7- What should I have on switch?
    8- What rings should I use?

O ya btw I've got a fort, phoenix guilded(44res) shield, blackhorns face, nosferatu, gores, and I might get some dracs or some knockback gloves.

And finally I'm hoping to do some Ubers with this guy, no pvp, only pvm. O ya I use Zeal as a secondary attack.

5. Jackson

Jackson Diabloii.Net Member

4- How do I solve my problem with physical immunes?

Some weapons, such as Glimmershed, have high elemental damage on them.

If not.. then Lacerator can cast Amp, which will get rid of the physical immunity for most monsters. Since I don't know what build you're making... there are many pally builds that can kill Physical Immunes. Check out the Guides Thread.

Grief PB is a good choice for most physical-damaging pallys (I assume that's what you're making).

One slot for ring is almost always going to be RavenFrost.

6. vCH

vCH Diabloii.Net Member

K thanks, ya I'm making myself a PB. And I forgot to mention that I'm building a Charger....So ya. For the ammy my highlords give deadly strike, but i guess i could use some atmas that give some amp damage? and I guess I'll use a raven I guess, ill just have to see wat i need after the rest of my gear is on later. thanks for feedback

7. Bladewind

Bladewind Diabloii.Net Member

Chargers should use big arse 2 handeds. :p

Still it possible to Charge with grief pb, i mean a 400+ min max PB is nothing to wheeze at, plus it range 2 so you can change charge easily. Just don't charge with Holy shield unless you know how to get rid of the Charge HS bug. ;)

8. vCH

vCH Diabloii.Net Member

Heh no I don't remember how to get rid of that bug, and ya i was kinda thinking that about 2handers, but i mean a phoenix shield gives an extra 350-400 ED which is pretty good, and plus when you add the 300ED from the fort it should end up with some pretty good damage.

9. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli Diabloii.Net Member

When you have +1500% damage from the Charge skill, and +250% from fanatasism, the extra +600% from Fort+Pheonix doesn't seem so big, you are basically multiplying your damage by 1.33. Although this is nice, past a certain point extra damage becomes redundant (i.e when you are killing everything in one hit...).

Use the fortitude if you want, but give the pheonix a pass over, there are plenty of other awesome sheilds out there.

Laz

10. niner

niner Diabloii.Net Member

Charger with conviction for pvm?

Seems a recipe for disaster when you run out of mana.

You probably would want to use zeal or venegence for attack. charge just for fun.

11. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

And for moving around. Vigor + charge is definitely useful when you don't have or don't want to use enigma.

12. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Auras I recommend with Charge:
    Conviction
    Holy Shock
    Holy Freeze
    Cleansing/Meditation (depending on whether you have Insight or not)
    Vigor
    Might
    Salvation is great when no-twink (which I'm guessing you're not).

Some people will laugh at my aura choices and call me a n00b, but I promise you that I have built more PvM chargers than those people have. Trust me on these choices.

As for the reasoning behind them... Conviction solves all AR issues (which boosts your damage almost as much as Fanaticism would), and gives you the perfect PI/IM solution (which I'll explain in a bit). Holy Shock adds as much damage to your attack as Fanaticism, and gives you a PI/IM solution. Holy Freeze adds slightly less damage than Holy Shock, but the chill makes charging in PvM a lot easier (charging is easiest when you're faster than the enemies). Cleansing/Meditation really shine with a specialized Charger build called the Abbot, which loads up on PDR and when properly geared achieves near-immortality. Vigor speeds you up (again, charging is easiest when you're faster than the enemies), while Might boosts your damage... and since both of them are Charge synergies, you're maxing them anyway for the damage boost (which means running them as your main aura saves 19+ skillpoints).

1- Highlords beats Seraphs unless you either already have 100% Deadly Strike, or are running the Abbot Charger build.
    4- If you run Holy shock or Holy Freeze, get a Shael/Shael/Shael/Shael/Eth/Eth Phase Blade and Zeal with it (if you have IAS on other parts of your gear, then only pop in enough Shaels to get to 72% IAS, and fill the rest of the holes with Eths). If you're running Conviction, equip Gimmershreds or a Rift War Scepter on switch, and zeal with them. If you're running Fanat, Might, Vigor, or anything else, find something with a chance-to-cast Amp and trigger it before charging.
    6- I feel charging without a big, fat 2-hander is just a waste. Charge was MADE for huge beatsticks.
    7- See #4
    8- CBF is mandatory, so get Ravenfrost if you don't have it anywhere else. Your other ring is optional- use whatever, probably something to shore up resists.

Knockback gloves are useless- Charge already has auto-knockback, which is actually BETTER than anything you can get on the gloves. Also, Charge really stinks against big Act Bosses (or anything that can't be knocked back).

Actually, that's the exact same arguement I use to explain why Fanaticism is perhaps the most pointless aura to run while Charging. When you've already got upwards of 2,000% ED, another 350% isn't really going to do that much.

Conviction is my favorite aura for PvM Chargers. It solves all AR problems instantly, end of story. With 500 base AR and slvl 25 Charge/Conviction, you'll hit the same as another character with 31,875 base AR and normal attack. I'm not making this up- 500 AR + slvl 25 Charge/Conviction is the equivalent of 31,875 AR without either. Boosting your chance to hit by 15% is pretty much the same as tacking another 300% ED on top of what you've already got.

13. vCH

vCH Diabloii.Net Member

Wow thanks for all the feedback. Here's what I understand so far.

-Ditch the Phoenix, by maxing out Charge and it's synergies I'll already have enough damage. While we're talking about damage, is it worth to run Might as my primary aura for the ED? Or will the pure ED from Charge be enough? Should I run it when I zeal?
    -Aura-wise I take it Conviction is the way to go. Should I sink in a point into meditation or redemption for mana recovery? Should I also put one into salvation?
    -What's a good two-hander to use? Runeword-wise that is .... Death? LW?
    -For my ring should I try to find a rare res one or go for a Carrion/Natures Peace/SoJ/BK?
    -Atm I don't have any amplify damage, what's the easiest way to get some?
    -Should I try getting some FHR?
    -Should I swap my Fort for an Enigma or CoH? Or should I still keep the 300ED that it gives?
    -Finally, should I synergize Zeal a bit?

So here's what I guess my guy should look like:
    -a big 2-hander
    -phoenix and a grief on switch for zeal OR a Shael/Shael/Shael/Shael/Eth/Eth Phase Blade if I run Holy Freeze/Shock
    -a raven for CBF and i dont know what my 2nd ring will be
    -highlords as ammy (DS)
    -fort as armor for the ED and res (or eventually Enigma or CoH)
    -gores for the ds, cb, ow, frwetc
    -blackhorns for the PMH and ST
    -nosferatu for ST, IAS, ll
    -dracs for OW.

-maxed charge (duh)
    -maxed vigor
    -maxed might
    -maxed conviction (primary)
    -5 Zeal
    -1 Redemption/meditation?
    -1 Salvation?
    -Sacrifice? (zeal synergy)

Which gives me, at level 80 and not counting bonuses from weapons..
    PMH, CBF, 41% FRW (when counting SCs), 35% OW, 15% CB, 45% DS, ST -30%, 30% IAS, and no MF.

O ya and do you think that this guy will be able to take on DC and the ubers?

Do I have all this right? This is the first time I try to build a proper char, so ya I don't really know what's good/better for me; I'm sorta a nub at this :D.

14. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

First off, before we begin... I play Legit. That means no trading for duped items, and no encouraging anyone else to do so. As a result, I won't discuss a single runeword that requires a rune higher than Gul. Sorry, it's a bummer, but I won't contribute to duping by recommending items that I know are 99.99999% likely to be duped.

The pure ED from Charge will be LUDICROUS. There isn't a character in the entire game that can match the ED on a Charger. Chargers can relatively easily break the 2000+% ED barrier. To give you a sense of just how much damage that is... Berserk is considered a huge-damage skill. If you fully synergized Berserk, you would have to get it up to skill level NINETY EIGHT to break the 2000% ED barrier. Leap Attack is probably the second highest ED attack in the game (if you discount Tiger Strike, which needs to be charged up, so its ED is actually much less per strike). Leap Attack only needs to get to slvl 58 (fully synergized) to break the 2000% ED barrier. And Charge attacks MUCH more quickly than Leap Attack.

I've beat the entire game using nothing but a maxed Charge, with one maxed synergy, wielding an Insight Shillelagh. The ED is insane. You'd be much better served running an aura that boosts your chance to hit (Conviction) or adds a different type of damage (Holy Shock/Freeze), since you'll have the physical damage well covered.

As for Zealing... I never Zeal except against bosses and PIs. Against PIs, Might doesn't make a difference, and against Bosses, the cth boost from Conviction will do more to help.

Also, I forgot another reason to NOT use Phoenix- that ctc Firestorm will KILL your killing speed. It'll keep interrupting you in mid-charge and stopping you from attacking anymore. Never Charge with anything that has a ctc of a Timered skill (ctcs of non-timered skills are fine), or with anything that will freeze your target.

In my personal opinion, the answer to all of these questions is yes.

Death is bad, bad, bad, bad, bad for Chargers. When the Glacial Spike triggers, it freezes enemies. If enemies are frozen, you can't knock them back. If you can't knock them back, you can't Charge them again. While a normal weapon might hit a single enemy 5 or more times in a row if you namelock them with Charge, Death will rarely get more then 2-3 hits in a row. Not good. It's a shame, because the other mods are phenominal.

If you're just looking at runewords (not uniques), I'd probably go with Oath. Socket it in an ethereal Decapitator or Collosus Sword for best results. Personally, I prefer the uniques, though. I'm a big fan of the Eth Hone Sundan, my favorite weapon in the entire game.

Rings: use whatever you need most, after the rest of your gear. This is a good place to max your resists, if you haven't yet.

Amp: Atma's Scarab gives a chance-to-cast Amp. Lacerator unique throwing axe also has a chance-to-cast amp, and you can keep one on switch. You could also give a Lawbringer sword to an A5 Merc, or a Reaper's Toll to an A2 Merc. Both have a great chance to cast Decrepify, which will also break physical immunities.

FHR: Depends on how good you are. If you're good, you'll never need it. Since you're just starting out, some FHR can't hurt. Aim for 48 or even 75 if you're using a Spear or a Stave. If you're using any other weapon, then 27's usually plenty.

Fort/Enigma/CoH: Duped runes. Sorry. Might I recommend Smoke, Stone, or Durress, instead?

Depends on what your weapon is while Zealing. If you're running conviction as your main aura, I'd recommend zealing with a Rift War Scepter, or a Gimmershreds. Or maybe a Baranar's Star, or Nord's Tenderizer, or Voice of Reason. Anyway, if you use Rift or VoR, don't bother synergizing Zeal. If you're using Gimmers, Baranar's, or Nord's, then you can if you want to, although I usually find better places to spend the points (synergizing Zeal really is only for boosting your leech, since you'll kill just fine without any physical damage while Zealing with Rift).

I'd have to say, not a chance. Charge is no good at all against bosses, since it can't knock them back (Charge gets its power from knocking enemies back and then charging again immediately). Against the Ubers, you'd essentially just be a 1-point Smiter... only worse, since you wouldn't have invested in Holy Shield.

Maybe it could be done with the l33test of gear, but this would probably be the worst uber-facing Paladin build on the planet.

15. Delreich

Delreich Diabloii.Net Member

'Staff' in this case is actually any 2-handed weapon except spears and swords.

Source.

16. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for that. I'm also assuming that 2-handed Axes or Mauls aren't classified as "staves", either, since they use the same animations as 2-handed swords.

17. Delreich

Delreich Diabloii.Net Member

They use staff animations, unless something has changed on-realm.

18. vCH

vCH Diabloii.Net Member

Wow thanks for even more of the suggestions. I'll look into those weapons and I guess I'll just go with highlords as amy and give my merc something with amplify damage or decrepify on it.

Can anyone else recommend any weapons and armors?
    Also, what merc would be best for me?