Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some questions about the Batman Begins movie

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by raffster, Jun 22, 2005.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Some questions about the Batman Begins movie

So I finally saw Batman Begins at the IMAX at the Loews Cineplex complex near the Lincoln Center in Manhattan. The movie is everything I had hoped it to be and has made it to my top five movies of all time.

I just have a few questions regarding the consistency of the movie with the original DC comics batman story:

1. Where was Commissioner Gordon? Why wasn't he mentioned or shown at all in the movie?
    2. Who was the good cop? Was the cop invented for the movie or was there such a cop in the comics?
    3. Who was the chick (Katie Holmes)? I never heard about that lawyer friend of Bruce Wayne and/or Batman.
    4. Is the story of the League of Shadows real: that Gotham City was actually going to be destroyed by a bunch of justice-seeking-ninja-fanatics?
    5. The role that Morgan Freeman played -- another invented character? I thought Bruce invented/developed/created his own contraptions/devices?

2. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

the good cop was gordon, but he wasn't commissioner yet

she was the love interest--there's gotta be one in every movie

what do you mean by real? it sure seemed like it when i saw it.

lol, I always though alfred did the inventing. this is more realistic. wayne enterprises invented all the stuff, freeman just helped bruce borrow it.

3. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Let's see if I can help.

1 & 2. Commissioner Gordon was indeed in the movie, but as Lieutenant Gordon (I believe that was his rank), the good cop that you refer to in your second question. This is the beginning of his and Batman's friendship.

3. Rachel Dawes, who has a part in the comics as well. To be honeset, I don't remember the extent to which she is dealt with, but I'd guess that she was at least somewhat changed for the movie.

4. "Real" as in "present in the comics"? Yes, but unless I missed a storyline or two somewhere, they aren't dealt with nearly at all. Perhaps I am not up to date, however.

5. Lucius Fox is an industrialist in the comic books, and that is at least somewhat portrayed in the movie. It could be argued, obviously, that this is the beginning of his interaction with Batman and that he'll become what the comics present him as.

4. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

1.He's not Commisioner yet.
    2.He's gordon.
    3.I'm pretty certain she was invented for the movie.
    4.Differs a bit from the comic. Rha's AL Ghul is an immortal megolomaniac with a devoted cult following who wants to wipe out half/all of the human population on earth and start over. The League follow him I believe.
    5.Morgon plays Lucius Fox, a character who exists in comics, but a bit different. He works for Bruce Wayne at Wayne Tech, has a fairly high position, but is not privy to his alter ego nor helps him get any gadgets.

5. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Pretty much it has all been stated. Rha's AL Ghul's organization was out for justice and they were trained ninja, so I guess that is probably the connection there.

6. Chow Yun Thin

Chow Yun Thin IncGamers Member

Gordon was a sergeant in the beginning, but due to his role in stopping Ra's Al Ghul he was promoted to lieutenant. Remember, this is 'Batman Begins', a retelling of how the world was when Batman started out.

What is Ra's Al Ghul's plan for the world? As far as the movie goes, he is out to cull the human population, a sort of artificial selection process. As far as the animated series goes, he is out to cleanse humanity of its crimes against nature, trying to bring about an equilibrium between the two. What do the comics say about his motives?

7. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

If I remember correctly, Al Ghul is 400+ years old, and batman gets his assasin daughter preaggers.

8. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Same as the animated series. To basically cull almost all human life, and reboot the world. His immortality comes from his Lazarus Pits, which unfortunately have a sideffect of causing madness.

Also, Batman Begins doesn't have much to with the current Batman continuity.