Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some one tell me this is right thing to do.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Corneo, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Some one tell me this is right thing to do.

I was taking my programming final this morning when, the professor calls me up to the front of the class. He took my test and used it shield his finger to point to some other guy in the back of the room. Apparently that other guy was down right copying off his friend next to him. The professor just wanted me to verify in case he needs a witness to report the cheaters. The catch thing is that I some what know these guys, I told the professor that and he replied he didn't want me to get dragged in but he doesn't have much of a choice. Even worst was that because he knew I that knew those cheater's names. At that point I didn't have much of a choice but only cough up their names. By all means, I am not buddy buddy with these guys, I just know of them. So after the ordeal, I packed up my things and turned in my exam and left.

What do you guys think how I handled it. Am I jerk for ratting out these people? Or did my gut instincts tell me that it was my duty as a fellow student to do the scholarly thing-that is to expose these cheaters.

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Well they DID cheat. You didn't lie or anything so I think you don't think you did anything wrong.

3. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Typical pee narc tactics...

4. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Well, the Professor was just using you as a shield and the witness right...he had already seen the cheaters and just wanted it to not to be just his word against theirs. You didn't rat them out, you just gave their names. Which the professor could have got himself.

5. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

There was nothing wrong that you did. When students enter a college or university, they are bound by Honor Code, and they should abide by it.

I, however, think that the professor did something that he should not have done in the first place, which is to put you on the spot. He should not have subjected you to making such decisions while taking a test. That is why TA's get paid and hired for.

Hmm.. I wonder if I know this guy...

6. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

You answered a direct question, truthfully, after voicing your reluctance and why.

They were cheating.

You did the right thing. Sometimes it is not easy to do right thing.

7. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I just felt bad to be put in that situation. I just hope that student judcial affairs doesn't call on me in front of them and say "This is the guy that witnessed you guys cheating.".

8. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Most people don't have thick skins. If the ordeal ends up being known to the public (which it probably won't), so what if people look at you as a tattle-tale or something? You're true friends won't care so why should it matter?

More likely, if you were needed as a witness, you should be able to remain anonymous, revealing your identity only to the authoritive board which handles these kind of cases.

Morally, I can't say you did anything wrong. I mean, if it was your best friend, then things get tricky.

9. Deadbolt'd

Deadbolt'd IncGamers Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. For one thing, the professor saw. He COULD have gotten their names himself, and he could have called on anyone. If it was only to verify, anyone would have answered that they did cheat, and SOMEONE would have given their names to him. It's nothing. You didn't cheat, and you didn't tattle. They would have gotten in trouble even if you hadn't given their names.

-DB

10. Satrina

Satrina IncGamers Member

What NB said :)

Here's my ***** comment for the day. If they had to cheat to be able to pass, then they shouldn't be in the class in the first place probably.

I don't know, maybe in some cases there's extenuating circumstances. But I know I derserved every good grade I got and don't see why someone who didn't come by it honestly should get away with it.

I do how you'd feel on the spot and reluctant. But if everyone let people get away with dishonesty in the world and didn't do the right thing the world would go to hell. Hmm, yeah, some say it is already ;). But I think ya did the right thing anyhow, and should be glad ya could

*Huggles*

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

They would have screwed the curve for you anyway. If you feel bad, just remember you also did yourself a favor.

They also undermined every hour you spent studying for that class and for your final in particular. They weren't just cheating, they were cheating you.

12. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I understand and appreciate your dilemma. You need to think of it the way Annapolis11 put it; they're cheating you. Giving you, and the rest of the students, and the purpose of college in general, a bad name by cheating and making a mockery out of education. That should transcend any weak loyalty-to-fellow-students thing you might be feeling. Turn em in, they're dishonorable imitations of human beings.

13. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

People get away with crap like this all too often in today's world. Satrina is right, we need more people to "tattle" or "rat" or whatever, as we all lose when this kind of thing happens.

14. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

You made no promise to them. You did what was right.

15. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Consider this . . . You finish uni & go to a job interview. One of the people contesting with you for the job is one of those guys who cheated. They get in based upon their uni qualification. How would you feel then, knowing that they cheated just to get that qualification.

You did the right thing. Cheating at uni is not an acceptable practice. If it's anything like when I was at uni, some of the forms you sign include statements that you will not plagiarize or cheat. They have broken their word, are acting dishonestly, and do not deserve any loyalty from someone who is not a close friend of theirs.

16. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Not only does the Honor code keep you from cheating, it also obligates YOU to report any cheating that you discover, and you ARE held accountable for knowledgably allowing cheating to continue. So yes, you did the right thing, for your own sake.

17. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I don't see why the prof would need a witness...at NIU if a prof saw you cheating they'd just walk over to you ask for your test and dismiss you. if they thought you were giving someone else the answers then they would dismiss them too. there were no witnesses or any of that. they just tore up the test right there. I saw it happen a few times.

I have little tolerance for cheaters. I'm the type that won't let anyone cheat off me. it's tougher when you know someone else is cheating and you're not involved, but think about this...if you reported it your prof would think oyu worked hard in their class...make sure you mention that...i studied my butt off for your test, I hate to see these guys get away with a's for nothing. I think most profs would see that as a positive...

In your case you didn't even narc. they were already busted. all you did was witness it so the prof could cover his bum. you did the right thing, and you shouldn't think it's wrong to narc. people that cheat their way through life will eventually swindle you. stand up for what you think is right.

and you know what? what's the worst that's going to happen to the kid? he gets an F on one test? big deal. he may still pass the class. if he doens't then he gets to take it again...this tiem with out some help from his friends.

18. Akira

Akira Member

i'm not sure how it is with cheating on exams, but i know plagiarism will get you expelled from most universities/colleges, i imagine cheating on exams is similar in that respect, but i could be wrong.

19. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

The Professor was probably just making sure he had a witness incase they made a huge ordeal like sueing the Uni or something. It is just smart business to do because it makes it so no one can argue they werent doing it and the prof just hates me. I commend you for doing the right thing, those lazy cheaters are the people who would have your job if you dont get them for being lazy now.

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I thought the same thing. Is this written into your school's conduct code that the professor needs backup to make calls like this? Why does the backup need to be a student instead of a TA or someone else with some actual responsibility for the class as a whole?

I don't know about UCD's (right? hope that's right) rules on this sort of thing, but it sounds really odd that the professor dragged you into the mess. Unless he was, you know, hitting on you or something, in which case I say go for it dude, easy A!