Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

some odd WW questions

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Iggiemartian, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Iggiemartian

Iggiemartian IncGamers Member

some odd WW questions

Hey, i've got some questions regarding WW and how it was changed in the patch... i'd appreciate if anybody could answer them(or link me somewhere with the answers)

1. Just how much good equipment do you need for WW to be effective?
    2. I've heard there's a new bug with WW or something, just how debilitating is it to WW users?
    3. Just how much of an advantage do you get whirling with 2 weapons instead of 1?
    :scratch:

Thanks.

2. SkylineFanatic

SkylineFanatic Banned

Ive heard the weapon's' speed your using has a effect on how WW work.
    I dunno if that makes sense :lol: :scratch:

3. ChimpFarmer

ChimpFarmer IncGamers Member

I think weapon speed affects how many hits you land on an enemy during your WW... not sure though.

And i think the bug is a posotive thing (in terms of WW effectivness, no bug is really "posotive")

4. egervari

egervari IncGamers Member

I'm not sure it has much to do with the new patch as it does between classic and xpac. In classic, I can ww a group of enemies and I hit them all, regardless of weapon speed. I just blow through everything in a single pass, regardless of dex or attack rating. I don't any other way to say it, but blizzard made classic much easier, so ww barbs own in classic (in fact, there aren't much else when it comes to barbs). I had a legit 282 rare martel and was just tearing up hell.

Now, in 1.10 xpac ladder, I noticed that ww does not hit all the enemies, it simply hits a few. The number of attacks that your ww has determines how many you hit in a pass. You might hit the same guy that many times, or it might be spread out to one hit per guy, but you are limited by the number of attacks. As you can see, if you have a weapon that does 65% damage of another, but gives twice as many attacks in a whirlwind, it's actually better since you'll do more total damage.

Sadly, there aren't many unique weapons that give you a lot of speed. thunder mauls are very slow. IK maul is probably one of the best since you put 2 shaels (for the ladder people) or 40/15 jewels in it (for the non-ladder people). Uniques like steel pillar, grandfather, etc. just aren't fast enough to land a lot hits. If you ever tried a shaeled 250% grandfather on ladder, you'll notice that you will barely do any damage and it'll take 40-50 passes to kill a single group of enemies in a single player game - not acceptable. Even worse, it sucks your mana and you'll just be mana potting over and over unless you have like 30% leech.

So, the key is to do tons of damage per attack and land the most attacks possible. Sadly, the only real viable weapon to do this is a botd (breath of the dying), which is sort of expensive on ladder (not sure about off-ladder). It's not as expensive as it should be mind you. It'll just cost about 2-4 soj, depending on the quality of the roll. This weapon gives 60 ias, allowing many elite weapons to reach the highest number of attacks for that weapon type.

So, if you want to make a ww barb, I say use IK set if you are just starting out. Even if you have the very best in unique armor (best runewords, rare rings, etc.), if you are something like grandfather, you'll just suck. It's better to just go with the IK set. However, if you can get a hold of a botd, I'd say you can make it work with uniques.

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

1. depends how you define "effective." :) i've made effective whirlers with ribcracker, 2 maces, 1 mace, ik maul, 2 swords, sword/shield.

2. i don't think it's a bug. from what i can tell, they switched from guaranteed number of hits per ww to a frame-based system that is more range-oriented.

3. according to arreats, you get 50% more hits, which now (wasn't true before with the hard cap on ww) appears to be correct. this does not mean 50% more damage, just 50% more hits.