Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some newbie questions!

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Ainaen, May 13, 2008.

1. Ainaen

Ainaen IncGamers Member

Some newbie questions!

Hi!

Consider me a new player in most facets. I have played Diablo II (without LoD) once, looong ago. Before LoD was even released. Two days I got yanked in by a friend who had never tried it before at all and we decided to have a go at it. Now I've finally managed to settle on assassin. To be more specific, I like the trapping aspect and that's what I want to focus on.

I've been browsing the web, reading some guides, but it gets rather confusing. Obviously everyone talks about having 110 skill points etc. and depending on certain gear I've never even heard of, let alone have.

I'm simply interested in some views on the matter, what would you consider to be the best trap builds? Personally I'm more interested in fire traps, they looked more fun at low level. But alot of people say it's a bad idea because of the resists later on. We do want to have a go at higher difficulty levels after we finish normal so I guess it's important to get it right the first time... and I'm horrible at that. I always second guess myself after I've done something. (Bad habbit, I know :p)

Right now I have remade my assassin and she's sitting at level 1 (the first one I made was a mixture of all three trees to try out different skills) and I'd like to get it right the first time.

Phew, lengthy nonsense post. Basically, could someone be so kind as to give a few tips? I don't want to know stuff like what gear I should use at level 99 (yeah, like i'll ever get there :p)

Just a few tips would be much appreciated. I have seen one or two fire trap guides but mostly they were thrashed by people who made no sense to me but seemed to know what they were talking about. Heh.

Personally I was thinking of this:

Level 1-6 (6 skill points)

2: Fire Bomb
    3: Fire Bomb rank 2
    4: Claw Mastery
    Den of Evil: Psychic Hammer
    5: Save
    6: Burst of Speed, Shock Web

6-12 (another 6 points)
    7, 8, 9, 10: Fire Bomb ranks 3, 4, 5, 6
    11: save
    12: Charged Bolt Sentry, Wake of Fire
    Get weapon block at a later time if needed, have used claw/shield so far. (I use what I find basically)

From here on out I haven't given it much thought yet, but I'd think putting points into wake of fire and saving some for Wake of Inferno, Fade maybe, and getting to the mind blast thingy. (is it any good for PvM?)

As for stats I was thinking:

+1 str
    +2 dex
    +2 vit

as from what I hear energy is rather useless. Perhaps alternate STR and VIT every other level.

Now realistically, would this work at all? Given I have no gear to help me along, just the basic newblet. Would this work or should I just do what everyone else does and go lightning traps? Hehe.

Well, obviously it will work to some degree. But we're ofcourse (eventually) interested in trying out Nightmare or even Hell, would it still be viable there?

One last thing, I have no interest in PvP whatsoever.

Any tips would be much appreciated! If anything isn't entirely clear (I'm a horrible writer, especially when it comes to getting to the darn point. :p) feel free to ask and I'll attempt to clarify. ^^

2. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Re: Some newbie questions!

Lightning Sentry / Death Sentry builds are the easiest by far. Fire builds are much tougher in comparison. Fire Blast is quite good, but it cross synergizes with lightning as well as fire. Wake of Fire is good early on, but very weak later. Wake of Inferno has more potential in the end game, but takes a lot more strategy to use effectively than Lightning Sentry.

I wouldn't say the Fire traps' problem is resists, but rather lowish damage, some mechanical issues with applying it, and the comparison with LS builds. LS gets good damage, is really easy to use, and gets an easy alternate damage type in DS and Fire Blast.

That looks ok, until you get a better feel for the skills. If you stick with Fire, you'll probably end up using Fire Blast and/or WoI as your main attacks, most likely with a heavy helping of DS. Another good thing to look at is Blade Fury, since it only takes an extra two points, and gives you access to some non-fire damage.

Mind Blast is quite good in PvE, especially for less powerful builds.

A good target is around 79/79 STR/DEX, as that gives you access to the best trap claws. Energy isn't at all mandatory, but it can make things simpler early on.

3. Ainaen

Ainaen IncGamers Member

Thank you, that was very helpfull. I'll mull things over. I kinda liked the way how Fire works. (the > shapes moving towards the mobs vs the bolts of lightning going in random directions)

Not to mention I just plain like fire! *grins*

I'll mull it over a bit more, I am a bit of a perfectionist and I like to play optimal. If lightning really is that much better I guess I would yield, though fire might be a fun challenge.

Again, thanks!

4. Xephyr

Xephyr IncGamers Member

Lightning is far more effective in pvm (and pvp, for a pure trapper). WoI's projectile is extremely skinny, which results in a tiny hitbox and makes moving targets hard to hit. Lightning traps do more dmg and death sentry is like corpse explosion for necros (very effective pvm).

If you have access to higher end items (Like an infinity), light trappers are actually quite effective pvmers.

5. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

It's not really the width (though more would help) but rather the slow tracking and lousy AI. For instance, it gets extra length from the WoF synergy, but its targeting range stays the same.

A lightning trapper really doesn't need Infinity to be good in PvM. Even untwinked, they're still one of the easiest builds in the game.