Some more questions on my Mauler

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member
Some more questions on my Mauler

I got him through normal. Actually it was a breeze. Most of the time spent in the werewolf form with feral active for the added FRW though. His skills are as follows:

20 Maul
20 Lycanthropy
1 Werebear
1 Werewolf
1 Feral Rage
1 Fireclaws
1 Hunger
1 Shockwave

I don't know what to do with my skillpoints... I have 2 Ideas:
physical damage bear:

put 20 points in HoW and Werebear
spare points either in Fireclaws for PI counter(but unsynergised it probably won't be stong enough...) or Feral Rage (for bonus FRW for running WSK, although Im not sure if bonus 20% FRW is worth 20 points)

mixed bear:
20 points in either werebear or HoW
20 points in fireclaws and spare points into firestorm
this way I would have quite good physical attack, and nice counter for PIs

the gear I plan to use:

"Oath" Feral Axe
"Treachery" Archon Plate
Draculs Grasp glove
Jalals(probably with um)
Gore Riders
Crafted Blood belt with 24% FHR
Highlords Wrath
Ravenfrost(15/154 FTW:laugh: )
dual leech ring(probably Manald Before I find one:tongue: )

What would you change?

Also, what physical damage do you consider good on melee characters?(not on werebears... I more interested in Frenzybarbs,Zealots or fury wolves)

Can a werebear make a viable WSK runner?

Cppo-The-Wild

Diabloii.Net Member
I played mauler back in .09 so things have changed for sure but i'd put remaining points in fc and 2 of it's synergys. That way you'd clear PI's out of your way much faster. 1 point in oak might sound like small investment but you should have enough life with maxed lycantrophy.

Jalal's comes with 5 to mana after each kill so that should cover your mana loss from skills, if not then the dual leech ring sounds like a good option. 3 sok tomb reaver with 3x shaels is very nice weapon for fc/maul combo cause it offers nice speed for both and the dmg + other stats makes everyone drool (I've been wondering wether ''ladder only'' items can spawn in sp?). Shape skillers are your best bet when it comes to charms (at least with fc+maul hybrid). Always nice to see people bashing with their bears btw :wink3:

-Cppo

AndiDi

Diabloii.Net Member
I got him through normal. Actually it was a breeze. Most of the time spent in the werewolf form with feral active for the added FRW though. His skills are as follows:

20 Maul
20 Lycanthropy
1 Werebear
1 Werewolf
1 Feral Rage
1 Fireclaws
1 Hunger
1 Shockwave

I don't know what to do with my skillpoints... I have 2 Ideas:
physical damage bear:

put 20 points in HoW and Werebear
spare points either in Fireclaws for PI counter(but unsynergised it probably won't be stong enough...) or Feral Rage (for bonus FRW for running WSK, although Im not sure if bonus 20% FRW is worth 20 points)

mixed bear:
20 points in either werebear or HoW
20 points in fireclaws and spare points into firestorm
this way I would have quite good physical attack, and nice counter for PIs
I would go physical damage. This is what a Mauler is good at. Put 20 points into Werebear and 10 points into Shockwave for protection. Then you can hire a might merc for even more damage. The rest of your points go into HoW.

the gear I plan to use:

"Oath" Feral Axe
"Treachery" Archon Plate
Draculs Grasp glove
Jalals(probably with um)
Gore Riders
Highlords Wrath
I would exchange the Highlords for a resist amulet. Preferably a Chromatic one. Who do your resist look?

What would you change?

Also, what physical damage do you consider good on melee characters?(not on werebears... I more interested in Frenzybarbs,Zealots or fury wolves)
As much as possible is always a good start :wink3: . My Berzerker has 849-8285 when he made Guardian. That was good enough for me. Everything over 2k is ok.

I would use a ranged char that does a lot of damage. Something like a Blizzballer or a Javazon.

-Andi

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't know what to do with my skillpoints...
HoW is very good Idea. Mostly for AR. I also recommend getting Grizzly and synergize it with Dire Wolf. So my advice is:

20 HoW
20 Werebear
1 Grizzly
The rest in Dire Wolf.

But if don't have any skillers, having a few more points spent (~5) in Shock Wave might be comfortable.

the gear I plan to use:

"Oath" Feral Axe
"Treachery" Archon Plate
Draculs Grasp glove
Jalals(probably with um)
Gore Riders
Highlords Wrath

What would you change?
You will do fine with what you’ve listed, provided that you can finish off the necessary resistances with some charms. I do think that Dracul's Grasp is unnecessary though. You'll use Shock Wave to stun pretty much everything. Lava Gout (for Enchant) and Laying of Hands are two excellent options.

If you plan to spend time in WSK consider getting some kind of Gloam protection. Thundergod's Vigor is probably the best option.

I guess you've chosen Treachery to reach the 6 fpa bp while still keeping the resistances up. If you go with a pair of 20% IAS gloves you might be able to change the armor for something better. Not that it is something wrong with Treachery but I think you'll find that Fade won’t trigger as often as you would like to. With 20% IAS from gloves and 20% from Highlord's, you need an additional 19%. That's one jewel of fervor in the helm and one in the armor, or one jewel of fervor in armor/helm and Nosferatu's Coil/Goldwrap.

Impossible to answer. It depends of what the goals of the character are and DS, CB, attack speed etc.

For xp, yeah. Not the best but certainly capable of 4-5 min/run doing p8 baal runs (with a very good map of course).

I would exchange the Highlords for a resist amulet. Preferably a Chromatic one. Who do your resist look?
I would prefer changing the weapon for a cracked dagger. :wink3:

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member
thanks for input guys...

@Kefir-Tribe - Im a bit afraid of PIs. Grizzly route looks good, but I will have no backup kind of damage... probably reapers might work against some(found 1 today!...YAY! :laugh: ) but not against all... I can always skip PIs though...

Laying of Hands are pretty awesome, but knowing my playstyle, Ill probably end up not using shockwave at all(well...maybe against Listers pack) so Life Tap is always welcome... I like to play aggresively(and mindlessly?...)

Iwas considering Blessed Aim for a merc... that would kinda solve my AR problems... The damage looks more then decent even without HoW, but Ill probably go HoW, Might merc anyway...

Actually I played with "Treachery" on melee builds, and fade always seemed to be constantly on... that may be because of my aggresive playstyle...

I would prefer changing the weapon for a cracked dagger.
exactly my point of view:grin:

@Andidi- YOu're probably right... Ill go for strict physical damage...

@Cppo-The-Wild - Id love to be able to go with a Tomb Reaver, but unfotunatly I don't have one..:cry: (yet!...)

nebux

Diabloii.Net Member
my bear even with how and blessed aim has about 5k ar in hell. too low for my taste.
shockwawe is a must here. you need monsters to stay in a place to maul them away. maul is a slow attack and only one target at a time.
dracul's aren't good at all on a bear. a slow attack will get you a life tap curse once or twice in a pit run. better with Loh.
Pi are done with OW ( duress and gores and your blood belt). reaper on your merc will increase your damage a lot. that results in better Life leech and mana leech.

i don't see a mauler a baal runner at all. too slow.
even my wolfbarb do baal runs in 6-7 minutes from start to dead baal ( p8 minions p3 baal).
and a bear doesn't even compare with insane Defense and life that a wolfbarb get

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
Every month or so you might run into a monster which has a PI that can't be broken by Decrepify.:wink3: I forgot to mention it, but the major reason why I don't Like Dracul's (and Exile) for physical based melee characters is that Life Tap overrides Decrepify.

Have you tried Shock Wave before? I strongly suggest that you use it, at least in any potentially lethal situation*. It's not really a defensive tactic to use it. You just push on and cast it whenever necessary.

*Which covers all situations where Life Tap might, possibly, on a bad day, remotely make it a little, little bit more comfortable. :wink3:

edit: But they do a lot more damage nebux. Oath Feral Axe means 6fpa with 59% OIAS. Not too slow and the damage/time can get quite good.

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member
I probably won't hit much better then 6k AR though...
Ill only have +246 AR from raven and +19 dex...Not much AR to talk about.

even 1.11 ethereal Oath feral axe gets around 400 average damage(with average roll), if I made a .07 one I should get 600 average.

If I ever find that Zod and 3 sox, nice stats etheral Tomb Reaver Ill show you slow Nebux!!...Mwahaha:devil:

Kefir - I never liked Decripify... I generally either use dracs, or atma's... never reapers toll...

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
A perfect 1.07 Oath Feral Axe has 535 average damage (might be a few points off due to round offs).

Anyway, good luck with your bear.

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member
how come?...
74 average damage of feral axe
* 1,5 eth bonus
* 1,5 another eth bonus for being from 1.07
* 4,55 perfect oath has +340% ed, with 15% superior we get +355% resulting in 4,55 multiplier
= 757,575

according to my calculator... am I wrong anywhere?

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
1.07 guide by Repusz said:
- Ethereal weapons and the special, mysterious "Enhanced Maximum Damage" mod: This is an attribute that existed only pre-1.09, and occasionally spawned on ethereal items. It adds 50% ED to the max damage of the weapon that is then enhanced by the etherealness. So the damage of these items - instead of the (min damage+1)*1.5 - (max damage+1)*1.5 formula of the v1.09 ethereals - is (min damage+1)*1.5 - (max damage+1)*2.25 (1.5*1.5). If an item has ED% and +max damage on it, then the max damage will be (base item max damage+1)*(1+ED%/100+0.5)*1.5 + max damage.The ED% is the sum of any possible ED affix, superior mod, plus the ED jewels and/or OHM runes socketed in the item. So a 10% ED superior ethereal Enhanced Maximum Damage 250% ED Cruel Thunder Maul of Eviscreation ( let's say +50 max damage ) socketed with OHM and a 40% ED +10 max damage jewel has a max damage of: (180+1)*[1+(250+40+50+10)/100+0.5]*1.5 + 60 + 10 = 181*5*1.5+60= 1410 damage! *faints*...
If I've got it right (and it seems to correspond with ATMA printouts I've seen of 07 eth RWs) this means that the 1.07 bonus is an additional 50%ED to the maximum damage (which adds, not multiplies, with the ED from superior/RW). I did not include a superior bonus in my calculations however. With that it should be...

min damage: 25*1,5*4,55 = 170,625
max damage: 123*1,5*(1+3,55+0,5) = 931,05
average: (170,625+931,05)/2 = 550,8375

I'm not sure how it's rounded off. Seems to be downwards (integer?) anyway, but I'm not sure.

edit: Seems like the base damage should be increased by 1 before the ethereal bonus is applied. I didn't know about that one, so I don't dare say for sure.