Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some mf questions

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by FimpGoesNinja, Mar 30, 2005.

1. FimpGoesNinja

FimpGoesNinja IncGamers Member

Some mf questions

Good day everyone.
    I got a few questions for you all.

#1 : I've began to do mf runs in the pits when I was about lvl 70 with my summon necro with about 250~ % mf . Found lots of nice elite uniques and other sweet things. Now he's lvl ** with about 450 ~ 500 % mf and I hardly find anything. Before I found a decent unique at least every second run but now I'm happy if I find anything better than a flawless every 10th run.
    I remember some old rumors that its better to have around 200 % mf or 600 % + than to have 300 ~ 500 mf. Could this be the case or am I just really unlucky these days?

#2 : What place is better for my summon necro? The pits , cows or mephisto?
    Dont want to do baal runs since my light resist is about -45 % >.<

#3 : When should I start to do mf runs as a pure blizz sorc?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. You're just unlucky....Don't believe those silly rumours...more MF is always better as long as you can kill and don't get killed. Good streaks happen, and it seems you had a very good one, finding a decent unique every other run in Pits is very nice... Maybe you're suffering from the "Good Old Times" Syndrome where you remember the good drops but forget all the time you had spend to get them.

2. Hmmm I'd say Pits...Mephisto can take a looong while to locate and cows don't drop so good now. If you're playing single player and you have a good map then I can definitely recommend running Mephisto. If you get a good rare glove with lightning resist & MF and a rare boot with the same mods you should be able to do it. I've done it with 11% lightning resist and that works okay....but -45% is probably too risky.

3. I have no idea...you could always start in Nightmare and when it becomes too easy work your way up, until eventually you get to Hell Mephisto.

3. Fimp

Fimp IncGamers Member

Thanks alot Chimaira , guess I'm just unlucky then :(

Well I'm playing on-line (even tho I've played him as a singleplayer char since I haven't been in a single public game or gotten any help ;) ) so I guess I'll stick with the pits :)

btw cleared all cookies and temp internet files and couldn't remember my password so had to create a new account here >_<

4. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm i mf with bone/summon but dun know how a pure summoner would fare in hell baal? Actually if u are willing to sacrifice +skills for survivability then a wizardspike, p-diamond homo, t-gods/dwaftstar and all 3 anyas would let you mf anywhere in hell. If you wana know how i did it read my guide for more info (The Bony Magicfinder version 1.10)

5. Zephyrin

Zephyrin IncGamers Member

It might be the FHR* diminishing return formula (FHR* = fast happiness rate ;) ). The more you MF, the more demanding you become, the more you have to wait to consider that a dropped item is "decent".

A quick example: I was extremely happy when I dropped my first Shaftstop :D (from Meph Hell, I guess). But now when I drop one I just think "oh no, one more shaftstop !" :rolleyes:

I do MF runs in Hell with a pure Blizz Sorc, on-line but as a solo player. I think I started at lvl 80 or so, IIRC. Mostly Pindle (so quick !), Meph and Andy. And the Mausoleum when I need quick and easy gold. The problem in the Pits is to survive the cold immunes that jump on you so quickly. With a pure blizz sorc it is quite difficult, only your merc can help. With my Blizz Sorc (lvl 92 now) I use an Act 5 Barb merc, taken in normal and nicely equipped, he is generally very efficient at tanking but even so I avoid the Pits.

I also do MF runs with a Meteorb Sorc (lvl 85), she is not as good as the pure Blizz, but more versatile (she can do the Pits, Shenk and Eldritch). Here I have an Act2 HF merc, I do not find him as good as the Barb to tank, but he can manage cold immunes when there are not too many, without the sorc using Meteor immediately. So this could be a better option for your Blizz Sorc. Maybe if you can have a +3 Meteor (or fire) weapon on switch, with the +all Sorc skills it can help the merc "finishing" the cold immunes.

Hope this helps.

6. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

These are just rumors.

However, "mf" diminishes very fast --- that's probably the origin of the rumor, since more mf almost always means less killing power.

100% mf -> 71% better chance for unique
    200% mf -> 111% better chance for unique
    300% mf -> 136% better chance for unique
    400% mf -> 153% better chance for unique
    500% mf -> 166% better chance for unique

Whatever you like; I like to hop around everywhere (pure skelemancer as well).

Remember that it's not just the act bosses, the monsters "on the way" can drop stuff, too. Pits in particular are highly overhyped --- River of Flame, Chaos Sanctuary, Worldstone Keep, Throneroom are all lvl 85 as well, and have a nice act boss at the end which drops FAR better than the golden chests. Durance of Hate is lvl 83, only two below max, and has an act boss as well.

The Pit just isn't worth it, if you can handle the better areas.

7. beemander

beemander IncGamers Member

but when mf starts to dimish u still get lots for mf towards magic and rare, so wouldnt that mean that after 340 ur chances of getting magics overpower the uniques so much that u actually get less uniques?

8. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

No...because the game checks if an item is unique first...so if an item drops it first has a (very small:() chance of being unique...if that doesn't happen it then checks if it is a set item, and if that doesn't happen...all the way down to magical. So no need to worry just strap on more MF.

9. front243

front243 IncGamers Member

#1: Pure luck! I have these moments too sometimes

#2: Summoner is my favorite pit-run build. He rules there. You can kill especially fast if you have a high level of corpse explosion

Meph only if you use an enigma armor, else it takes too long to get to him.

#3: I usually start mfing with my sorc when she gets to nightmare. A lot of decent things drop in nightmare difficulty.